Jump to content

Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m hoping we can still get some end product from him before he inevitably leaves but it’s even harder to see this happening now?

 

Bottom line when we signed him we should’ve been prepared to play to his strengths. We never have so in essence we’ve been the architects in his failure to

perform here.

 

I think the issue is that Rhodes, for all his goalscoring exploits over the years, is a fairly limited all-round footballer who doesn't really have it in his locker to adapt his game to any great degree. He's a penalty-box poacher - that's it.

 

You can ask him to be a link-up player, but he'll never be great at it. You can ask him to be a target man, but he'll be wasting his time on something which detracts from his natural attributes. 

 

He's a bit of an anachronism, but if you want to get the best out of Rhodes, he relies on reliable quality deliveries into dangerous areas. If you're not going to provide that, then he'll offer very little.

 

Unfortunately, we signed him with no plan as to how to use him, asked him to try to adapt his game in ways which are probably beyond him, and completely ruined one of the division's most reliable goal-threats.

 

I understand those who are frustrated with him and say he should learn to adapt his game, but that was never going to happen. He's simply not got it in him to be anything other than what he is. The issue is that we, and most other teams at this level, no longer have a use for the kind of player he is (or was... it's been so long since he played in a team which was set up to get the best out of him, I'm no longer sure).

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

 

Don't think it needs a smoke screen to cover the fact we ain't got a goal in us. 

 

A blind man on a galloping horse could see we've got nowt up top.

were crap, pulis picks the team, by bringing Rhodes off he hopes to put the finger on him for it, not clever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Claw said:

were crap, pulis picks the team, by bringing Rhodes off he hopes to put the finger on him for it, not clever.

 

He's only been in job 3 games.  I think he's old enough and ugly enough to take it on chin .

 

I don't think he's tyrna throw anyone under bus and protect himsen.

His jobs safe enough for 6 months at least.

 

He were just trying sumat. 

 

At worst he were making a point to the recruitment team 


Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

 

He's only been in job 3 games.  I think he's old enough and ugly enough to take it on chin .

 

I don't think he's tyrna throw anyone under bus and protect himsen.

His jobs safe enough for 6 months at least.

 

He were just trying sumat. 

 

At worst he were making a point to the recruitment team 

yep! that may be right by throwing Rhodes under your proverbial bus!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ANDY said:


 

 

Lad looked gutted 

So are we with his goal tally since he's been here.
I'm sure he manages to not suffer so much on what he earns.

Wanders around.... sticks his thumb up.

And if he can't get the ball form his own players........  Go get it !!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Final straw today for me

 

Karanka

Carvalhal

Luhukay

Monk

Pulis 

 

All the above can’t be wrong 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Claw said:

yep! that may be right by throwing Rhodes under your proverbial bus!

 

Take it you've made yer mind up after 3 gsmes then? Or beforehand? 

 

 


Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a suspicion I know why he was taken off and whilst TP has already muted this, it was definately tactical.

 

Rhodes doesn't always necessarily close down the defender with the ball. He often plays the percentage game, chosing to get in the space between several players, normally fairly central and slightly deeper than the player with the ball. Whilst this can cut out potential square or diagonal passes through these areas, it's easy to circumnavigate if nobody else is doing the closing down. All the player with the ball needs to do is to either pass directly forward, or move forward with the ball. It's not a criticism of Jordan's game, just an observation.

 

I'm guessing that TP was/is expecting Rhodes to close down more but I've never really seen him do it. It's not how he plays and I think this is the reason he was taken off as TP wanted us to close them down quicker from the front and press them deeper.

 

I do feel for him, but he needs the service and maybe a certain type of service at that. He's never had it here for whatever reason. I hope wherever he ends up once his contract expires, that it works out for him. He seems a very likely person, who does a lot off the field in the name of the club. It's just a shame for him and us fans, that he can't replicate the same on the pitch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see the need to take him off and it had zero impact. Poor man management in my opinion. Rhodes may not be in his plans but is a model pro and well respected in the club, so didn't need to be the player to send the message out that TP is in charge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

I've got a suspicion I know why he was taken off and whilst TP has already muted this, it was definately tactical.

 

Rhodes doesn't always necessarily close down the defender with the ball. He often plays the percentage game, chosing to get in the space between several players, normally fairly central and slightly deeper than the player with the ball. Whilst this can cut out potential square or diagonal passes through these areas, it's easy to circumnavigate if nobody else is doing the closing down. All the player with the ball needs to do is to either pass directly forward, or move forward with the ball. It's not a criticism of Jordan's game, just an observation.

 

I'm guessing that TP was/is expecting Rhodes to close down more but I've never really seen him do it. It's not how he plays and I think this is the reason he was taken off as TP wanted us to close them down quicker from the front and press them deeper.

 

I do feel for him, but he needs the service and maybe a certain type of service at that. He's never had it here for whatever reason. I hope wherever he ends up once his contract expires, that it works out for him. He seems a very likely person, who does a lot off the field in the name of the club. It's just a shame for him and us fans, that he can't replicate the same on the pitch.

 

Likeable, not likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Errol Flashman said:

 

Take it you've made yer mind up after 3 gsmes then? Or beforehand? 

 

 

take it i watched todays game and saw pulis remove rhodes after bringing him on. is this the conversation or have i missed sumat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a number of posts making the point about ‘bad man management’. I agree - clearly wouldn’t be good for the boys confidence.

 

However the manager is paid to get the best result for the team. He clearly saw something that probably either a) suggested Rhodes may cost us a goal, or b) that Brown may exploit that may get us a goal. I’m pretty confident  that he didn’t do it deliberately to further lessen Rhodes confidence.
 

I’m happy if he is making those decisions - not so long ago there were lots on here (and I agreed) slating Monk for not making changes to effect the game. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Claw said:

take it i watched todays game and saw pulis remove rhodes after bringing him on. is this the conversation or have i missed sumat?

 

He's not the first sub to be ever subbed. Sure he won't be the last. 

 

Just don't think think it was done to create a blame diversion.

 

He doesn't need a blame diversion. He's only just got here

  • Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

He simply doesn't do that, the ball is around the area and he's no where to be seen, he just doesn't want the ball, you never see  him screaming for the ball or berating a colleague for not getting it to him.  

 

He offers nothing.

 

You’re wrong again.

He is constantly peeling off defenders only to be ignored.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...