Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

I don't recall there being too many times at S6 where we've seen that happen. The last time I recall was Dave Jones I think it was who was playing Kieren Lee as right back, can't recall who against, but he was having a mare. Moved him to midfield and the rest as they say is history.

Moving onto today, no-one likes to see a sub being subbed. It seems to be the unwritten rule in that you just don't do it.

However, surely there has to be scope for the manager to do that if he sees fit yes?

And you know what, credit to a manager actually having the balls to do it. If he believed that it wasn't quite working out and thought we can try this, then I'm all for it. Pulis has the balls and simply tells it how it is. He knows we need to strengthen and exactly where we need to do it. 

Sod the, oh he can't  do that, the lad has had nowt to work with since he came on. It's often a very very cruel game, and if it wasn't anything to do with Rhodes himself, then IF Rhodes is man enough about it he will see when he's spoke to Pulis that it wasn't personal, but rather a tactical decision.

I don't like the football I'll be honest, but if you can't score then at least be hard to beat, and today I thought we were were just that. Nothing special at all, but players that battled.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

To add some context, Joao has scored more goals on his own, this season, that we have in the last 17 league games. 

And our total is generously skewed by the 3 goals we scored in the Fulham stuffing.

I blame Monk for this position, we all knew that we should have brought in at least a couple of strikers and he failed to do that, now we are seeing the consequences.  Rhodes is finished with Wednesday and will find it difficult to find another club after he is released. The game has changed dramatically over the past few years and someone like Rhodes doesn't fit into a team

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The way some of you talk on here about Rhodes it’s as if we’ve got better options.

KACHUNGA

WINDASS

PATERSON

BROWN (apparently)

What are you on about?

So what does Rhodes think when is cant start above those options, speaks volumes, In the same window we signed Rhodes for £6-10 m ( depending on reports)

Brighton signed Glen Murray for £300,000 

Brentford Signed Canos  for £2.5m

West ham Signed Snodgrass for  £10m

Ipswich signed Kieffer Moore for £10k.

Birmingham signed Jutkiewicz for £1.0m

2 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

So what does Rhodes think when is cant start above those options, speaks volumes, In the same window we signed Rhodes for £6-10 m ( depending on reports)

Brighton signed Glen Murray for £300,000 

Brentford Signed Canos  for £2.5m

West ham Signed Snodgrass for  £10m

Ipswich signed Kieffer Moore for £10k.

Birmingham signed Jutkiewicz for £1.0m

Could not give a stuff mate.

We haven’t got Murray, or Canos, or Snodgrass, or Moore, or Jutkiewicz. 

If we did, I’d be comparing Rhodes to them and he would compare VERY poorly.

But we don’t, so I compare him to the dross we have up front, and he’s the least bad and the most likely to score.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Can someone explain why our fans are comparing Rhodes to Reading’s Joao, rather than the Wednesday players that play in his role.

Kachunga

Windass

Paterson

Because Kachunga is a winger and Paterson is a midfielder (who started out as a defender), but both of them do a better job when they play upfront than Rhodes who is just a passenger. At least they have the excuse of being out of position.

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

Because Kachunga is a winger and Paterson is a midfielder (who started out as a defender), but both of them do a better job when they play upfront than Rhodes who is just a passenger. At least they have the excuse of being out of position.

Except that’s just not true, is it?

If Rhodes is a 4/10 striker, Paterson is 2/10 and Kachunga 1/10.

Like I keep saying, Rhodes is far from great, but he’s better than the alternatives.

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

If taking him off with 5 mins to go shatters his confidence, then he is in the wrong profession.

We were under the cosh at the end and needed to hold out for a point. Rhodes wasn't going to offer much at the end, we needed someone on to ensure we got a point and we did.

Disagree we were under the cosh. 
We should be going for the win not playing out the game without a recognised striker. Awful game, awful man management. 

There's an argument that Rhodes is a bust flush.

Even if he weren't. ..all his good spells have come in the old days of 442 playing with a strike partner.

If we're playing one up top. ..or 3 wi the wide lads depending how you look at it...then he ain't gonna do owt for us. 

In all honesty probably never was. 

Pulis has just said he's looking forward to having Windass back on Wednesday and that he wants to strengthen up top.  

Rhodes is gone whichever way you look at it.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Shocking decision

Let's see what Pulis says 

Alas Rhodes doesn't seem to be in the long term plan. I saw similar once at Norwich; Francis brought on Nigel Pearson at half time (if I remember right) and pushed him up front. It didn't go well and Francis pulled him off quickly. I don't think Pearson hung around much after that insult. Same with Rhodes really. There's an effective striker in there somewhere but he desperately needs good needs service! I hope when Rhodes goes he gets a chance to resurrect his career.

I’m hoping we can still get some end product from him before he inevitably leaves but it’s even harder to see this happening now?

Bottom line when we signed him we should’ve been prepared to play to his strengths. We never have so in essence we’ve been the architects in his failure to

perform here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Claw said:

were pathetic and looks like Rhodes was the scape goat waaank smoke screen decision by pillock pulis

Don't think it needs a smoke screen to cover the fact we ain't got a goal in us. 

A blind man on a galloping horse could see we've got nowt up top.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.