Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

These goals to minutes on the pitch stats are getting pretty dull, to be honest.

The manager, via the team, needs to find an effective way to get us scoring goals. It doesn't matter who gets the goals after all.

The problem we have though is that there are no strong arguments to put forward any one single player as being the most likely catalyst to change our atrocious scoring record.

There are a few weak arguments as to why one player is possibly a better bet than another, but nothing compelling.

Personally, I think until January when we might at least be able to have a stab at solving the problem directly, we're better off just working on effectively getting the ball forward and then rely on getting midfielders running late. It's something we should be doing anyway, but it seems right now that it's probably a better policy than endlessly recycling between each of our poor forward options.

But presumably you’d pick a striker? Unless you are Jos.

Who would you pick?

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

What???

Under Bullen he played every minute.

Under Carlos he played more minutes than Hooper, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri and Nuhiu.

We might be taking about a different player. Are you saying under Bullen, Rhodes played every minute.

1st home game last season ? Who came on as sub for Fletcher.

He may have played more games than some others under Carlos,  but not when all strikers were fully fit. 

21 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Grab a coffee and scratch your head over these figures. I find them really intruiging.

Under Carlos - 6 goals in 3510 mins - goal every 585 mins

Under Bullen - 1 goal in 270 mins - goal every 270 mins

Under Jos - 1 goal in 447 mins - goal every 447 mins

Under Monk - 4 goals in 866 mins - goal every 256 mins

(Under Farke - 6 goals in 1010 mins - goal every 166 mins)

Don’t you think it really baffling? 

Carlos had Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu. Yet he played Rhodes regularly despite him not scoring. 

At the other extreme, Monk had Kachunga, Marriott, Windass, Da Cruz, Paterson and an unfit Whickham, yet he hated playing Rhodes despite him having a very good scoring record for him.

I think Carlos also had Winall, and in the games I watched where they were played together, the effort , movement and all-round contribution of Winall was far above anything Rhodes could muster.

So that is the past - we had 6 forwards ( 7 if you include George Hirst ) and still signed Rhodes. Not his fault maybe, but would it not have seemed a curious set up to move into?  Fletcher, Hooper and Forestieri were pretty stellar at the time as well, and we had signed Winall days before.  

The now is that he has seen them all off , and the current crop are nowhere near that ' magnificent 7 ' he had to contend with for a place.

I'm thinking 3 goals in the next 8 appearances, and he goes on to get double figures for the season and a small amount of redemption. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

But presumably you’d pick a striker? Unless you are Jos.

Who would you pick?

When he's available again I'd pick Windass, and until then I'd go with Kachunga. No need to quote me either of their goals-to-minutes ratios again because I'm already aware of them.

These two can at least stretch the backline and run the channels. Windass, in particular, is also capable of carrying the ball forward at his feet. In short, he's far more dynamic than Rhodes and potentially offers far more to this team as it currently is than what Rhodes does.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

We might be taking about a different player. Are you saying under Bullen, Rhodes played every minute.

1st home game last season ? Who came on as sub for Fletcher.

He may have played more games than some others under Carlos,  but not when all strikers were fully fit. 

Sorry you are right I recalled wrongly that Monk started last season. It was Bullen for the first six games and yes Rhodes barely played. 

So yes, Bullen clearly went off Rhodes. 

38 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Sorry you are right I recalled wrongly that Monk started last season. It was Bullen for the first six games and yes Rhodes barely played. 

So yes, Bullen clearly went off Rhodes. 

No worries. 

I can’t fully remember what happened with a Rhodes when Bullen first had a go at caretaker manager. 
I do recall standing on the away end at Brunton Park in a third round FA cup tie thinking it was gonna be along winter with Joao and Nuhiu up front. 2 years on and we’re worse off !

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 0742 said:

The thing is, how has he not improved or even changed his game?!

Every match he starts it looks like the first time he's played with the team and doesn't even know their names. 

Maybe he reads Owlstalk and thinks his team-mates are called Lofra, Loungo, Boner and Odabagio.

In which case it’s a good job Jaoa, Jiow, Jowa all left.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cowl said:

When he's available again I'd pick Windass, and until then I'd go with Kachunga. No need to quote me either of their goals-to-minutes ratios again because I'm already aware of them.

These two can at least stretch the backline and run the channels. Windass, in particular, is also capable of carrying the ball forward at his feet. In short, he's far more dynamic than Rhodes and potentially offers far more to this team as it currently is than what Rhodes does.

Scary thought that the three other options that, to be fair, the majority would like to play between now and January, have 2 goals in 2000 minutes between them!

Remember when we used to debate between Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao?

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If you want to include Teflon Non-Stick Pans Cup games against Noddy FC that’s fine.

In which case he’s scored 1 in 646 minutes.

Windass scored as well 

and made Rhodes only goal and he nearly missed that 

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I've explained all that in my first post that you obviously skimmed through.

1.  Rhodes did agree to sign for us, knowing how many strikers we had. We didn't kidnap him, just offered him a stupendous amount of money.

2.  No he didn't , but he is continuing to take his inflated wages knowing full well he isn't earning them . If he asked for a transfer and went somewhere else on less money to give his career a kick start that would show he still has ambition and wants to play football. 

3. He can ask for a transfer and let his agent know what his wage demands would be at another club.

4. No he can't loan himself to another club, which is why he would need to leave on a permanent deal.

5. He is available to play, but for whatever reasons he is showing no form or commitment, and whatever he does in training isn't enough to convince the last five managers here that he deserves a long run in the team. Managers accept a forward may have a goal drought lasting into double figures of games, but the won't accept a lack of effort or commitment.

"Why would anyone, however rich they are or aren’t just take a massive pay cut based on circumstances they are not responsible for? Particularly when it’s not even within their own power to instigate that pay cut?"

Because they are already very wealthy, and a massive pay cut would still constitute a very good wage, and they get to plat first team football regularly and perform to the standard they know they once did. Rhodes is being greedy by sitting out his contract knowing he  is not at the right club. He can do something about it, he chooses not to. 

Nobody in their right mind would leave a 40 grand a week job 2 or 3 years early and go and play for 10k a week or whatever he could now get on the open market after the last 5 years.

Say he left 2 years early, that’s £3m in wages difference.. yeah all of these players are well off but it’s a hell of a lot of money.

This will be unpopular as a view but if a player is on 40k a week, that’s £2m a year but they’ll ‘only’ get just over £1m of that after tax. Then they’ll likely lead an extremely lavish lifestyle that’s hard to avoid because it comes with the territory, so a big chunk gets wasted on frivolous rubbish, cars, wives spending habits.

yes that’s a life that most can only dream of, but the end result is they might only save a couple of million and are retired

at 35. Doubt they’d then be up for giving up £3m they’re totally entitled to because some clown of a club made a mistake