Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

2 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Carlos

Jos

Bullen

Bruce

Monk

.... and now Pulis. 

Not one of them has been able to get a tune out of him.  Add to that Karanka at Boro and to a certain extent being a bit part at Norwich. 

Unfortunately despite being the nicest man in football he is a spent force.  We have played a variety of styles with none being able to gleen any success other than the 45 minutes at Forest. 

Bruce didn’t have him.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

No, you have been in his corner all the time he's been here and made some good points, but you are now in the same position as Trump everything has been checked and checked again, its time to give it up.

Ouch. Trump.

Dagger to the heart.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

We’ll never know exactly who chose our new players, but knowing how utterly threadbare we were up front, how we ended up with Kachunga, Paterson, Windass and Marriott is mind-blowing. 

Did we need 5 strikers? 

Assuming the weekly cost of the 4 new ‘strikers’ was £40k, why not bring in 2 good genuine strikers, rather than 4 cheaper but poor/part-time/utility strikers?

I'd say we need 4 or 5 strikers in the squad, yeah. That's fairly standard. When you consider how injury-prone players suddenly become once they step out onto the pitches at Middlewood, I'd err on the side of caution and say 5!

Given the state the chairman had allowed us to get into, it was always likely to be quantity over quality in the last transfer window, wasn't it?

Hopefully Pulis is able to pull of a coup or two, or the newfound financial certainty of knowing which year the ground sale counts towards might allow us to spend more than £500k on a striker this time around.

It's frustrating, as we were clearly chasing the right kind of player in Zahore, but simply couldn't attract him here. And of course he's injured now simply as a result of having his name linked with Wednesday.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

No, you have been in his corner all the time he's been here and made some good points, but you are now in the same position as Trump everything has been checked and checked again, its time to give it up.

But seriously, I really haven’t always been in his corner.

I was one of the ~ 10% who didn’t want him. I said in several occasions he would disrupt the Hooper-Fletcher partnership and that Hooper was a far better striker.

However, in the here and now, the only thing that matters is whether as a team we are better with Rhodes, Windass, Kachunga or Paterson up front. And in my opinion, supported by goals and results, I think it’s Rhodes.

That said, Pulis is a terrific manager and will have his reasons, which I support. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I was one of the ~ 10% who didn’t want him. I said in several occasions he would disrupt the Hooper-Fletcher partnership and that Hooper was a far better striker.

However, in the here and now, the only thing that matters is whether as a team we are better with Rhodes, Windass, Kachunga or Paterson up front. And in my opinion, supported by goals and results, I think it’s Rhodes.

That said, Pulis is a terrific manager and will have his reasons, which I support. 

I think he knows that this team isn't going to create the chances that Rhodes needs and also knows Rhodes isn't going to be creating them for himself. Which is why I think he isn't being considered at the moment.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Are Paterson, Windass and Kachunga?

You keep saying Rhodes is better than these but when was the last time he actually had an attempt on goal or made the keeper work ? 

Windass in particular seems to at least get his shots off 

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Are Paterson, Windass and Kachunga?

No, because they are as good as Rhodes is; or should I say as bad as Rhodes is. Rhodes is no good anymore - I wish he was the Rhodes of 2013/14 (and the years prior) but he just isn’t. 

We can’t keep throwing this lack of chances excuse around anymore. It’s been proven over the last four seasons that Rhodes just can’t score anymore because on numerous occasions, he has played in teams that provide chances. 

47 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Crikey @Holmowl  you are Definately sticking to your guns and won't be budged.

Its like the battle of the Alamo on this thread and you are Davy Crockett backed into a corner while all the Mexicans are marauding forward.  I think you are at the point were you are going to run out of bullets and have to throw the gun at the advancing Mexicans. 

Only jokinging mate if you believe in something nothing wrong with sticking to what you believe in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

By contrast, his scoring record for us away from home is remarkable. A goal every 120 minutes. 

Would you play him away from home?

Not as a lone striker. We’re in a battle, this task is not for the faint hearted.

It says a lot that Nuhiu would be a shoe in for the no 9 role if he was still here.

If Jordan was remarkable, these threads wouldn’t pop up every week. 

1 minute ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Crikey @Holmowl  you are Definately sticking to your guns and won't be budged.

Its like the battle of the Alamo on this thread and you are Davy Crockett backed into a corner while all the Mexicans are marauding forward.  I think you are at the point were you are going to run out of bullets and have to throw the gun at the advancing Mexicans. 

Only jokinging mate if you believe in something nothing wrong with sticking to what you believe in.

I like that.

Mrs H and I has some friends over for dinner several years ago and at the time my engineering business was struggling under attack from a massive firm. One of our guests spotted I was unusually quiet but I refused to explain the business problem because I thought it would bore the guests. He told me to explain the issue but using a wild-west theme. It worked brilliantly. Really funny and it made light of what I thought was a major problem.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

You keep saying Rhodes is better than these but when was the last time he actually had an attempt on goal or made the keeper work ? 

Windass in particular seems to at least get his shots off 

As you ask...

Rhodes scored 250 minutes ago.

Windass 800 minutes ago.

Paterson 570 minutes ago.

Kachunga when balls had laces and a pigs bladder.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Dont understand this signal to Chairmen thing I have seen a few people state.

Why doesn't Pulis just tell him and be honest like he said he was going to be in his first press conference.

Seems daft playing little political games.

It just means when he talks to the chairman he can use that sub as an example of our need for something better. 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You do know these are facts. Your’s is opinion.

What the fact that Rhodes hasn’t scored since the first game of the season ( assisted by Windass )

and he hasn’t had a sniff since ? 

My post stated that he has not even had an meaningful attempt on goal or a shot .... has he ? 

any way I will leave you to keep defending your boy I am sure he will come good one day 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

As you ask...

Rhodes scored 250 minutes ago.

Windass 800 minutes ago.

Paterson 570 minutes ago.

Kachunga when balls had laces and a pigs bladder.

Rhodes last scored at Hillsborough on Halloween, 2017. Felt sorry for him yesterday and Tony was wrong there.

But if I was Rhodes, I would consider retiring at the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I like that.

Mrs H and I has some friends over for dinner several years ago and at the time my engineering business was struggling under attack from a massive firm. One of our guests spotted I was unusually quiet but I refused to explain the business problem because I thought it would bore the guests. He told me to explain the issue but using a wild-west theme. It worked brilliantly. Really funny and it made light of what I thought was a major problem.

Then you went bust?