Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

8 hours ago, jrh said:

Pathetic by Pulis. Did more than Paterson did, barely lost possession when he got the ball, won a few flick ons, makes runs in behind. 

Just absolutely shatter his confidence, very very poor management. 

Very poor management would be putting a player before the team and not taking them off so as not to hurt their feelings. 

Good management makes the tough calls...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andytrig said:

I replied to a quote that said he offered nothing, which was true but I'd challenge any striker to offer anything the way we fail to carve out chances. 

Genuinely don't know what has happened with Rhodes, none of the last what seems like 55 managers have felt like he warrants a run in the side.

Easy to harp back to say he wouldn't take a penalty and has never produced but he scored a hat trick against Forest last season and then just disappeared again. There's obviously something going on with him that we'll probably never know.

Rhodes looked slow against a pedestrian Stoke defence. Through balls knocked over and between the defenders were either running through to the keeper or being dealt with comfortably by the central defenders.

He didn't look like he'd got a challenge in him.

Weird to say this but whilst Dave was never gonna trouble the scorers in terms of how many goals he got, at least he ran his socks off and made himself a nuisance against opposition defenders, smashing into them, get up for headers, tackling back, winning free kicks and just generally chucking himself about..

In comparing the players, I'm not suggesting that Nuihu should have stayed or gone but Rhodes look a bit hapless and sapped of any confidence today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Rhodes looked slow against a pedestrian Stoke defence. Through balls knocked over and between the defenders were either running through to the keeper or being dealt with comfortably by the central defenders.

He didn't look like he'd got a challenge in him.

Weird to say this but whilst Dave was never gonna trouble the scorers in terms of how many goals he got, at least he ran his socks off and made himself a nuisance against opposition defenders, smashing into them, get up for headers, tackling back, winning free kicks and just generally chucking himself about..

In comparing the players, I'm not suggesting that Nuihu should have stayed or gone but Rhodes look a bit hapless and sapped of any confidence today.

I think that has been the issue with managers and Rhodes.

Nuhui and Rhodes are chalk and cheese when it comes to how the last 5 managers have rated them.

Despite both not delivering the goals you would want from a centre forward, Nuhui works hard, provides options, and us generally a great team player.

Rhodes offers nothing in those three categories,  which is why managers rarely trust him to start or even be on the bench.

I would imagine JR needs to show a hell of a lot more fight and enthusiasm , and a general change of attitude in training, before Pulis considers starting him. 

Put it this way, if Nuhui was still here, he would be first name on the team sheet due to his sheer commitment to a cause.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Nuhui and Rhodes are chalk and cheese when it comes to how the last 5 managers have rated them.

Despite both not delivering the goals you would want from a centre forward, Nuhui works hard, provides options, and us generally a great team player.

Rhodes offers nothing in those three categories,  which is why managers rarely trust him to start or even be on the bench.

I would imagine JR needs to show a hell of a lot more fight and enthusiasm , and a general change of attitude in training, before Pulis considers starting him. 

Put it this way, if Nuhui was still here, he would be first name on the team sheet due to his sheer commitment to a cause.  

Nuhiu is our second highest scorer since David hirst and our highest scorer in the last decade.  Rhodes hasn't scored a home goal in years. Chalk and cheese as you say.

No striker scores a lot in a pulis team though .

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

We have missed Nuihi. Anyone that cannot see that clearly doesn’t understand football. If he scored 6 or 7 goals this season, he would still possibly end up our leading goal scorer.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Signal to the chairman, simple as that. Feel sorry for Rhodes.

Dont understand this signal to Chairmen thing I have seen a few people state.

Why doesn't Pulis just tell him and be honest like he said he was going to be in his first press conference.

Seems daft playing little political games.

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Dont understand this signal to Chairmen thing I have seen a few people state.

Why doesn't Pulis just tell him and be honest like he said he was going to be in his first press conference.

Seems daft playing little political games.

In September our manager persuaded Chansiri to provide significant funds for strikers. He agreed and our manager chose Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga. 

Two months later he’ll take a lot of persuading that we no longer have any strikers.

I never go for conspiracy theories, but I really do think Pulis is making a statement to DC here.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

In September our manager persuaded Chansiri to provide significant funds for strikers. He agreed and our manager chose Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga. 

Two months later he’ll take a lot of persuading that we no longer have any strikers.

I never go for conspiracy theories, but I really do think Pulis is making a statement to DC here.

That is what I think as well. But, I didn’t like what Tony did yesterday with Rhodes. I thought it was out of order. 

Can’t be bothered to read 13 pages. 

Bottom line is numerous managers don’t rate him. It’s not a coincidence. 

I heard a stat yesterday, he’s not scored in his last 24 home appearances. 

The sooner his contract is up the better.

Financially and return on investment wise he has been the worst signing in our history. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The chairman's previous actions had created godawful circumstances for our recruitment team to try and operate within - we had to jettison proven quality in order to cut costs, and replace them with cheap signings who'd be willing to join a club starting on minus twelve.

There's no way that Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga were all Monk's top choices - we were clearly after the likes of Leko and Zahore (among others, I'm sure), but they went elsewhere and our pool of options reduced further still. The notion that he was flicking through a catalogue of strikers and happily picked that bunch out is laughable.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season.

The old adage 'beggars can't be choosers' rings true here, I'm afraid.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Can’t be bothered to read 13 pages. 

Bottom line is numerous managers don’t rate him. It’s not a coincidence. 

I heard a stat yesterday, he’s not scored in his last 24 home appearances. 

The sooner his contract is up the better.

Financially and return on investment wise he has been the worst signing in our history. 

By contrast, his scoring record for us away from home is remarkable. A goal every 120 minutes. 

Would you play him away from home?

The argument about the team not making chances for Rhodes to score is flawed. Rhodes played in the same teams as Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Nuhiu and Joao who all scored from the same “lack of chances” when Rhodes didn’t. 

The reason that Rhodes isn’t scoring is because he isn’t good enough anymore. He is a spent force. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The chairman's previous actions had created godawful circumstances for our recruitment team to try and operate within - we had to jettison proven quality in order to cut costs, and replace them with cheap signings who'd be willing to join a club starting on minus twelve.

There's no way that Windass, Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga were all Monk's top choices - we were clearly after the likes of Leko and Zahore (among others, I'm sure), but they went elsewhere and our pool of options reduced further still. The notion that he was flicking through a catalogue of strikers and happily picked that bunch out is laughable.

Thanks to our previous overspending and the resultant points deduction, we were in no position to attract higher quality players and must have been among the least attractive Championship teams to join this pre-season.

The old adage 'beggars can't be choosers' rings true here, I'm afraid.

We’ll never know exactly who chose our new players, but knowing how utterly threadbare we were up front, how we ended up with Kachunga, Paterson, Windass and Marriott is mind-blowing. 

Did we need 5 strikers? 

Assuming the weekly cost of the 4 new ‘strikers’ was £40k, why not bring in 2 good genuine strikers, rather than 4 cheaper but poor/part-time/utility strikers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

The argument about the team not making chances for Rhodes to score is flawed. Rhodes played in the same teams as Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Nuhiu and Joao who all scored from the same “lack of chances” when Rhodes didn’t. 

The reason that Rhodes isn’t scoring is because he isn’t good enough anymore. He is a spent force. 

Are Paterson, Windass and Kachunga?

Carlos

Jos

Bullen

Bruce

Monk

.... and now Pulis. 

Not one of them has been able to get a tune out of him.  Add to that Karanka at Boro and to a certain extent being a bit part at Norwich. 

Unfortunately despite being the nicest man in football he is a spent force.  We have played a variety of styles with none being able to gleen any success other than the 45 minutes at Forest. 

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

By contrast, his scoring record for us away from home is remarkable. A goal every 120 minutes. 

Would you play him away from home?

No, you have been in his corner all the time he's been here and made some good points, but you are now in the same position as Trump everything has been checked and checked again, its time to give it up.