Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Another answer is that our mate has proven himself to be poor for a very long time. He was nowhere near prolific in a team that created chances.

The new players have been starved of chances, but we don't know what they would  be like in a more creative team. Yes, a bit of straw clutching, but do you /does anyone really believe Rhodes would score more than a handful of goals if he played to the end of the season. 

I only care that he would score more than our other “strikers”.

42 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

I remember the evening he signed, we played Bristol City away and we were fantastic continually pouring forward, how the game ended 2-2 was criminal. 
He came into that team and failed, didn’t even want to take a penalty in the play off semi. The guy has not produced in any team or formation since he signed, lovely lad but a signing that’s just not worked please stop making the problem a recent thing

I replied to a quote that said he offered nothing, which was true but I'd challenge any striker to offer anything the way we fail to carve out chances. 

Genuinely don't know what has happened with Rhodes, none of the last what seems like 55 managers have felt like he warrants a run in the side.

Easy to harp back to say he wouldn't take a penalty and has never produced but he scored a hat trick against Forest last season and then just disappeared again. There's obviously something going on with him that we'll probably never know.

• Like 2

Just now, torryowl said:

we all bang on about having crap strikers and yet i cant think of many chances they have  missed this season ........perhaps its the midfield thats the problem for not giving them the ammo ......

Absolutely. 

What do we create? 

Who does create anything in this side? Bannan? Yeah, on occasions, but more often than not him creating a chance is a Hollywood ball over the top which hits the mark once in a blue moon. 

Neither Harris and Reach are exactly pulling up trees in terms of assists, are they? 

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

Should be said that I don't think any striker would be doing much in this side right now. 

I mean, we barely create anything. 

There is zero service. 

absolutely ..jimmy greaves would struggle to score with what we create 

Just now, SiJ said:

Absolutely. 

What do we create? 

Who does create anything in this side? Bannan? Yeah, on occasions, but more often than not him creating a chance is a Hollywood ball over the top which hits the mark once in a blue moon. 

Neither Harris and Reach are exactly pulling up trees in terms of assists, are they? 

Just now, torryowl said:

absolutely ..jimmy greaves would struggle to score with what we create 

snap ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Ruined...not scored a goal in 27 consecutive appearances at Hillsboro. 

I doubt Pulis can be blamed for the reasons Rhodes hasn’t cut it here.

Rhodes hasn’t scored at home since Halloween in 2017 against Millwall. I reiterate, I think Rhodes is garbage. I always have had and nothing has changed my opinion. My opinion, is that Tony got it wrong today and i don’t agree with it at all. There was no need for it. 

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Absolutely. 

What do we create? 

Last season the same midfield created chances that were converted  by Fletcher, Nuhiu and Winnall. 

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Last season the same midfield created chances that were converted  by Fletcher, Nuhiu and Winnall. 

What are they creating right now? 

How many clear cut chances do we create in a game? 

4 minutes ago, andytrig said:

I replied to a quote that said he offered nothing, which was true but I'd challenge any striker to offer anything the way we fail to carve out chances. 

Genuinely don't know what has happened with Rhodes, none of the last what seems like 55 managers have felt like he warrants a run in the side.

Easy to harp back to say he wouldn't take a penalty and has never produced but he scored a hat trick against Forest last season and then just disappeared again. There's obviously something going on with him that we'll probably never know.

Apologies fellla I thought it was a defence of Rhodes recently and in general. 
Yes there could well be something that we will never know however his signing is a huge factor as to why we are in such a financial position. Everyone can argue that he doesn’t determine the fees paid but he signs the contract to say I am worth what you are paying so is deserving of any criticism when he doesn’t deliver. In my opinion you can’t have it both ways. 

This is not me trying to defend Rhodes btw, as I think he's done for here and has been for years...but no striker is going to score many goals playing in this current side. 

There is little to no quality in an attacking sense. Bar the match on Wednesday, we can't even knock in a decent freekick or corner. We are hopeless. 

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

This is not me trying to defend Rhodes btw, as I think he's done for here and has been for years...but no striker is going to score many goals playing in this current side. 

There is little to no quality in an attacking sense. Bar the match on Wednesday, we can't even knock in a decent freekick or corner. We are hopeless. 

And you have just highlighted the exact reason why Rhodes isn't playing and was taken off today.

Why play a player who's only real attribute is scoring goals when the team doesn't create chances to score goals.

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

What are they creating right now? 

How many clear cut chances do we create in a game? 

Few, if any. But they’ve demonstrated within the last 12 months that they can. 

Unless we can offload the whole midfield, then it makes sense to get 2, even 3 strikers in January who know where the net is. I can’t imagine Pulis has not been given autonomy over recruitment. 
Marriott won’t be coming back, and it appears Pulis doesn’t see Rhodes as the answer.