Wednesday - V - Stoke (H) omdt

Just now, prowl said:

To be fair I think the move has done him good. I serously doubt he would have cracked on like he has if he was still here. He just got too comfortable, settled in his ways. Now he's had a new challenge and the penny has dropped.

We all knew he was capable and very talented but it was the application that was lacking. Good luck to him, if he'd had a bit more drive he would be a good premiership player by now.e

He has scored something like 17 in his last 22 starts, maybe he will get a PL chance before too long.

Maybe a new manager here would have given him a kick start? He might not have been as prolific as he is currently but he would have been a damn site better than the options we currently have. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Purple patch compared to the rest of his career. 

If he gets 20 this year and 20 next year I might consider the £5m we received  poor business.

And compared to the 'strikeforce' we are currently employing? 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

And compared to the 'strikeforce' we are currently employing? 

I see what you're saying , Corky. 

But I'm not responsible for the signings or the clubs desperate need to trim the wage bill and bring in players who can fit within it. 

We needed money at the time and he was a saleable asset. 

We've bemoaned before us not selling players while they still have a value.  For once I think we made the right move. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He has scored something like 17 in his last 22 starts, maybe he will get a PL chance before too long.

Maybe a new manager here would have given him a kick start? He might not have been as prolific as he is currently but he would have been a damn site better than the options we currently have. 

I hope we got a sell on clause for Joao.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

We needed money at the time and he was a saleable asset. 

We've bemoaned before us not selling players while they still have a value.  For once I think we made the right move. 

Yup, agree - our striker recruitment over the last couple of years has been hopeless (cheers, Paxo!) but that in itself didn't make selling Joao a bad decision. We'll never know but I'm absolutely confident that he wouldn't have scored half the goals he's scored at Reading if he'd stayed here (see also: Antonio).

• Like 2