Iorfa as Emergency Striker?

14 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

.... poor touch, lack of awareness, quick feet but slow speed of thought, gets nose bleed once over the halfway line....

It's a no from me

Spot on ! 

He's a good center half at this level lets play him there get him a new long term contract and build from there.

If TP is going to persist with the one up front then getting the right type of player to play this role is as important if not more so than finding the right role for Bannan, having the right keeper between the sticks, players knowing their roles etc.

The type of forward he needs ideally is a tall mobile forward with a physical presence and pace. Who can hold the ball up long enough for teammates to get up the pitch to support or stretch the play himself and of course offer a goal threat.

The complete forward in many ways which is going to be difficult to attract in our situation. In the short term I can see why he went with Windass who offers some of these qualities if not all.

FWIW I can see TP getting enough out of certain players including Bannan and Reach maybe Harris to get us to safety but whether these players will be here next season is very much up in the air as far as I’m concerned?

12 hours ago, Ronio said:

Simon, you are not far off Iorfa being an emergency striker.  

When we get set piece opportunities, Iorfa will pretty much be playing in a strikers position.   Just outside the 6 yard box ready to pounce. 

Emergency, is also correct, in the sense that it being a dangerous situation requiring immediate action.  lol

Good points my Dear fellow. So we’re all now agreed.

Iorfa and Bannan up front it is, the return of the big man, little man combo. Always works.

What a fantastic versatile squad we have.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blueform mac said:

I agree, many instances of our players being given a go in different posions as far back as I can remember. John Hickton asked for a move when overlooked at CB for the 66 final and Gerry Young who did play in that final started up front. Hickton went to middlesborough and became a striker and did well. Warhurst as we know was a prime example of management spotting potential.  Big Jack was going to ship out Mel Sterland until John Harris said try him at full back. Iorfa has a great presence and could do a job until January when TP can wheel and deal. Good shout for me

Well said, another of the few Owls Talkers who understand football. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We get a good player and immediately our fans want to see him all over the park, in midfield, up front

lol

Come on now... stop being silly

I thought we wanted square pegs in square holes?

You’re just jealous because even my rubbish threads get more traffic than yours.

Dark mode indeed. Last time I had dark mode on I had to start taking anti-depressants.

lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

You’re just jealous because even my rubbish threads get more traffic than yours.

Dark mode indeed. Last time I had dark mode on I had to start taking anti-depressants.

lol

Come back when you have achieved THIS - https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/leaderboard/

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Come back when you have achieved THIS - https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/leaderboard/

It’s your only job. You’re a professional. I only come here to help out at weekends on a part time basis.

It’s like Liverpool asking Wycombe Wanderers why they haven’t won the Champions League yet.

15 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m sure Carlton Palmer did play as as emergency striker back in the day?

It’s a pretty mad idea playing big Dom there but it probably isn’t the most ridiculous thing I would have seen at Hillsborough!

Yep - it worked too.

6 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Not saying this is the right suggestion, but I do wish we'd experiment with these sorts of things a bit more

Still a sore point Reda was never tried out up front given his ridiculous scoring record

I was about to say 'what's Reda up to these days?'...

On 27/11/2020 at 18:20, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I think you could try him in midfield in a Carlton Palmer type role, but not sure about as a striker.

I thought this when I first saw him...he's nowhere near a Carlton Palmer as Palmer is a winner (state of mind)...but it might be worth developing him in training to play that role...powerhouse in midfield

On 27/11/2020 at 18:41, theowlsman said:

No vision some people.

*Takes ball home*

Up yer bums.

Under Pulis ball we should play the reverse.

2-4-4 with all the big men up front, hitting them from out wide as well as the centre, midfield running onto the pickings (Van Aken, Borner, Lees, and Iorfa). Kung-fu Windass and Paterson at the back. Floaty ball Barry, serving up the floaty hoofs from midfield.