Realistic January Signings?

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It worries me when people say, wait until he gets his own players in January. It’s the sort of hope we all seem to have around this time of the year. However, January never really proves to be our salvation. 
Personally I think the only way we can survive with Pulis, is if he can bring in the sort of quality up front that, is probably unrealistic. I see we are starting to be quite heavily linked with a move for Gayle, who apparently will be sold at a knockdown price. Get him, plus a decent target man, and possibly Pulis will steer us clear of relegation Haggling with Newcastle until the end of the window, before switching to a lesser target, is a more likely scenario, in which case, I fear for our chances of avoiding the drop

There’s no chance we can sign Gayle.. think we wanted him when we were actually half decent and he was too expensive. For a start he sometimes plays for Newcastle so he’s not going to swap being in their squad for 23rd in the Championship. If he did want to move then most of the teams near the top would take him assuming he’s now somehow within our price range 

Hopefully we'll get a couple of strikers in as a min. I think a name like gayle would do wonders for confidence. I'd still be looking at simms and Abrahams at Newport. I agree that I think a winger will be on the list (Lord knows we need better crossing) and a left back if he can push it. 

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s no chance we can sign Gayle.. think we wanted him when we were actually half decent and he was too expensive. For a start he sometimes plays for Newcastle so he’s not going to swap being in their squad for 23rd in the Championship. If he did want to move then most of the teams near the top would take him assuming he’s now somehow within our price range 

I agree, but that is the type of signing we will need, if we are to have any chance of avoiding the drop

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree, but that is the type of signing we will need, if we are to have any chance of avoiding the drop

Defo the type that will keep us up........ but we all know if he is available we won’t be only club in for him? Let’s be honest top 6 chasing side or us? I’m confident pulis will have identified who he wants ? Who he gets is another story! 

Pulis has been out of the ‘front line’ in management for a while prior to coming here but as I’ve said in previous posts, he is organised and will have kept abreast of things in this league and hopefully will be able to pull off a quality signing or two with his contacts and knowledge of the game and this division.

I trust him to do this for us because of his genuine feeling for the club with his admiration for Don Megson and latterly, Gary Megson. Therefore, I believe him when he talks about us as being a historically great club with a fantastic fan base that needs waking up and wanting to be the one who gets us going again.

It is a massive job and the priority is to make sure we don’t get relegated before having a summer to bring in more quality, attack minded players. Unfortunately, it is likely that, to do this, he will have to make sure we don’t lose matches first and this will be dull and dour. I agree that he must get us winning games also because drawing games will not keep us up, but when the three or four quality players we have injured, get back playing, I think these, coupled with some astute signings will get the juggernaut rolling.

I hope so anyway, but it will be tough and perhaps even horrible until then.
He’ll know that usually, successful teams must have a team with leaders, and a strong backbone I.e a quality goalkeeper, centre back, strong midfield and quality centre forward/striker.

Let’s hope he knows these players already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Last few years we’ve signed 

kachunga - free

paterson - 500k?

windass - 500k?

dunkley - free

pelupessy - 200k?

harris - free

luongo - 1m

And now we are going to sign £10m/60k a week Gayle? 

Well that’s the worry isn’t it If those are the only type of players we can afford, and we are’nt expecting him to do any better with those players, how can things improve

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well that’s the worry isn’t it If those are the only type of players we can afford, and we are’nt expecting him to do any better with those players, how can things improve

I’m sure you’ll correct me if you think I am wrong but hasn’t Pulis made a good living out of making teams greater than the sum of their parts?

If he does this then in the short term he’ll keep us up. Longer term it might be a different story but I believe he’ll do a Megson and at the very least leave us strong foundations for the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

kachunga - free

paterson - 500k?

windass - 500k?

dunkley - free

pelupessy - 200k?

harris - free

luongo - 1m

Yep 

I think the piggy bank is empty.

Pulis wants a big target man, I think we will go for someone out of favour on a loan deal.

Can see us going for someone like Vokes who played against us on Saturday,  currently playing 2nd fiddle to Fletcher, not signed by the current manager and not liked by the fans.

On 27/11/2020 at 18:11, Maddogbob said:

Joe Piggot linked today from Wimbledon. I know nothing about him, but may fit the mold. 

I believe we got linked with Pigott in the summer, so either there is some interest from our part or it is a recycled old story.

At 27 he is in best for of his career and watching him play League One football looks capable of making a step up. Tall player and good header of the ball, but also capable of dropping deeper and linking up play, beating players in one on one situations and scoring from long range.

Interesting player, although I would be more interested into AFC Wimbledon's young playmaker Anthony Hartigan. At 20 years of age he already made 100 appearances for the club.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2020 at 12:59, Al98 said:

From what we've seen thus far and how Pulis speaks about 2 fast wide men with a target man in the box, i imagine his intention for us will be a sort of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 type deal. 

With that in mind I imagine this is how that lines up moving forward. 

GK - Westwood/Wildsmith/Dawson

RB - Palmer/Odubajo/Dawodu 

CB - Iorfa/Lees/Dunkley/Urhoghide

CB - Flint/Borner/Van Aken/Brennan

LB - New LB/Penney/Galvin

CM - Luongo/Pelupessy/Shaw

CM - Bannan/Hunt/FDB

RM - New RM/Kachunga/Adedoyin

CAM - Izzy Brown/Patterson 

LM - Harris/Reach/Hidalgo 

ST - New ST/Windass/Rhodes 

So that gives us 3 signings in January in the form of a striker, right mid and left back. However, given that Marriott will probably be recalled in derbys current situation, I imagine 2 strikers will come through the doors. 

So who do we get? Personally I'd go for these as sensible and realistic options.

Connor Wickham 

- contract up end of season 

- target man

- knows the club 

- not featured this season for Palace 

Ellis Simms 

- contract up end of season at everton

- Fast direct striker

- young, only 19

- one of the top scoring youth in prem 

- possibly a loan if he signs a new contract, but worth jumping on in January if not 

Charlie Musonda (loan)

- fast and direct winger at Chelsea

- no sign of breaking into first team 

- only 23 years old

- not currently on loan anywhere 

Greg Cunningham

- 2nd/3rd choice left back at Cardiff 

- 29 so has the experience ege over Penney 

- contract up at end of season

- not featured so far due to injury, but will be difficult to attract no.1 left backs, so a 2nd choice somewhere is realistic.

What do we reckon? 

Obviously guess work which i know is of no use to anybody, but this is my hunch to the types of personnel through the door in January.

Is Hildalgo training with the 1st team 

21 minutes ago, malek said:

I believe we got linked with Pigott in the summer, so either there is some interest from our part or it is a recycled old story.

At 27 he is in best for of his career and watching him play League One football looks capable of making a step up. Tall player and good header of the ball, but also capable of dropping deeper and linking up play, beating players in one on one situations and scoring from long range.

Interesting player, although I would be more interested into AFC Wimbledon's young playmaker Anthony Hartigan. At 20 years of age he already made 100 appearances for the club.

Have you seen much of AFC's LB Nestor Guinness-Walker? Been linked with a step up to champ too. Think he's only 20 too.

23 hours ago, 83owl said:

kachunga - free

paterson - 500k?

windass - 500k?

dunkley - free

pelupessy - 200k?

harris - free

luongo - 1m

Report in the Star earlier saying he might be available for 5m, wages would still be a problem though.

4 hours ago, Themagiccap said:

Have you seen much of AFC's LB Nestor Guinness-Walker? Been linked with a step up to champ too. Think he's only 20 too.

Never even heard of him. Whenever I've seen them this season Steven Seddon played lb/lwb.