Jump to content

Did anyone buy their Sheffield Wednesday stuff from Sugg Sport?


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Bought my Wednesday Subbuteo team from there. 

It was IFK Gothenburg though wasn't it if you looked on the box?

 

Used to get my mitre football trainers from Sugg Sport back in the day.

 

lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mogbad said:

Yep bought loads of stuff from Suggs in my time. 
 

Mind you I’m that old I can remember buying football boots & kit from Jack Archers on Bramall Lane.

 

I played for a junior Sunday team in the late 60s / early 70s and we bought our kit and match ball from Jack Archer's.  The quality was superb.  We played in what was then the Everton away kit. Amber shirts and royal blue shorts.

 

At the tkme I remember feeling that we had  really professional kit. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swinners said:

I remember longing for a hockey stick on the 2nd floor of suggs.  Never could afford it, but then won the bingo at Manor Top working mans club and mum and dad getting it me. I was only 15.   Great times.

 

 

"Everyone's a swinners"

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.40.28.jpg

 

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.46.01.jpg

 

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.42.28.jpg

 

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 10.40.55.jpg

 

 

Anyone remember Sugg Sport in Sheffield City Centre?

Did you ever buy Sheffield Wednesday stuff from there?


It seemed at one time there were branches of Sugg Sport all over Sheffield City Centre, with shops on Pinstone Street, Castle Street etc

 

I remember going in there every Saturday morning

 

Upstairs I think was a right waste of the space - you had to climb the steps up to the first floor and there was just a few trophies and that's about it

 

lol

 

 

 

Nah, they had snooker cues upstairs, could usually get ‘em half price in June.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely loved the place!! Saturday pilgrimage to look at the kits and flick through the other teams kits. Still got some great badges that I collected In the  early 80 s.

one of them is like a metal rosette design. Great memories.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my first Wednesday scarf from Suggs, top floor of the shop near Peace Gardens before it moved down the street...it cost me nineteen & threepence which I'd saved from a paper round.

 

My now missus then girlfriend worked at the 'new' Suggs, I got a shirt from there & some darts flights with the Owl on them. She served Steve Davis with some new sports shoes just after he'd lost to Tony Knowles in the 1st round, 10-1 I think, he signed the old ones which were like new & gave them to her, we still have them now.

 

Suggs seemed to be a good place to meet/see celebs, while there she met, Davis, Seb Coe, Bomber Graham, Sherpa Tenzing, Tommy Cooper & Freddie Star, plus a few footballers she can't remember the name of.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Yes West st but I think they had one in Hillsboro, just up from the baths on the other side 

That was Burgins ....

The last shop on the left heading up towards the Barracks ....

Bus shelter outside at the bottom of Forbes Road across from the baths & Sacred Heart school n church ......

Special mention for Bert's the tailors few doors down from Burgins ...

Made me a black suit same as Rick Bucklers with the blue stripe down the front of the jacket ...

Made me some fantastic suits did Burt ....

the-jam-david-watts-1978-11.jpg.2cffc6aa6259dfb6c6fc8309028fb2c4.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marro said:

Remember going to Suggs as a kid and my mum buying me these beauties

 

image.jpeg.eda5acc1ce6d6f2e63ba47cfa9186d27.jpeg

I had a pair. Loved em. Got a picture somewhere of me wearing them at a presentation night getting my medal from Ian Mellor. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mogbad said:

Yep bought loads of stuff from Suggs in my time. 
 

Mind you I’m that old I can remember buying football boots & kit from Jack Archers on Bramall Lane.

 

Archers was awesome, unbelievable how he got all that stuff in there, Subuteo was the main reason I went there & football boots.

 

My dad was looking for a new ferrule & tip for his cue so I went to Archers not really thinking he'd have them but no, he had a range of sizes for tips & ferrules plus the glue pads & chalk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

 

 

Ref 51 - named boxes were post-heavyweight (zombie and lightweight c.1980 onwards)*

 

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/sub20.htm

 

 

 

 

*I got my anorak from Halfords

 

 

lol

 

Screenshot_2020-11-27 Team boxes Appx.png

Definitely post heavey weight, wasn't even aware they existed. As I recall now they broke quite easily if you accidentally trod on them.

 

I think me and my brother were down to 7 aside before Football Manager on the BBC Micro ended my subuteo career. (Trevor Francis was a reyt player on Football Manager btw)

 

Ironically, I'm sure one of the Gothenburg players would have been Maradona in my head.

 

Shouldn't really mention it on here, but I was bequeathed the pitch by my uncle, who supports the other team in Sheffield. I think the standard players in the box were red v blue, so on the arrival of Gothenburg from Suggs sports it was Wednesday v Liverpool every week.

 

Them were the days...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, marconi said:

I remember the old blind bloke regularly outside the Pinstone Street store.

”Combs and Pens sixpence each.”

just bought a comb today , cost me £1 -30 p  bloody thieves  lol 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, qantas said:

 

Archers was awesome, unbelievable how he got all that stuff in there, Subuteo was the main reason I went there & football boots.

 

My dad was looking for a new ferrule & tip for his cue so I went to Archers not really thinking he'd have them but no, he had a range of sizes for tips & ferrules plus the glue pads & chalk.


The place was like a tardis. Before I went I was told he’d have everything, when I saw the shop I thought this is going to be crap, I walked in & every shelf, nook & cranny was crammed with stuff.

 

I don’t know how he remembered where everything was but you’d ask for something, he’d nod, disappear behind a load of boxes & have what you wanted in his hand when he reappeared.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mogbad said:


"I don’t know how he remembered where everything was but you’d ask for something, he’d nod, disappear behind a load of boxes & have what you wanted in his hand when he reappeared."

 

The perfect description of Jack Archer's.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, qantas said:

I bought my first Wednesday scarf from Suggs, top floor of the shop near Peace Gardens before it moved down the street...it cost me nineteen & threepence which I'd saved from a paper round.

 

My now missus then girlfriend worked at the 'new' Suggs, I got a shirt from there & some darts flights with the Owl on them. She served Steve Davis with some new sports shoes just after he'd lost to Tony Knowles in the 1st round, 10-1 I think, he signed the old ones which were like new & gave them to her, we still have them now.

 

Suggs seemed to be a good place to meet/see celebs, while there she met, Davis, Seb Coe, Bomber Graham, Sherpa Tenzing, Tommy Cooper & Freddie Star, plus a few footballers she can't remember the name of.

That’s the first time I’ve seen Sherpa Tenzing and Tommy Cooper in the same sentence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...