"he shouldn't really be on the pitch"

>Massimo Luongo came off early. Where is he at with his fitness?

>Massimo is doing absolutely fantastic for us. He has had a cartilage operation and he shouldn't really be on the pitch but he has got a heart as big as a lion and wants to play.

Pulis was bemoaning the injuries to players on his arrival so the decision to play Luongo is a little surprising, at least he acknowledged selecting Westwood was a little rushed.

I guess he will take calculated risks, I just hope it doesn't bite us on the bum...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's where our recruitment in the past several windows as let us down. If we had brought in a defensive holding midfielder type, Luongo could have been rested and replaced. We miss Iorfa and Luongo, whenever they've been out, plus we failed to adequately replace Murphy and Fletcher too. 

Without Luongo we lack something in midfield that makes the defence and midfield look better, and allows the likes of Bannan and Reach to be more effective in the game, in better areas of the pitch. 

• Like 5

We must look after him. Whilst I think he's definitely a player that can get forward and score a goal this season he is absolutely critical to our cause in that holding role.

He's tenacious, hardworking, reads the game well, breaks up play, distributes sensibly etc, etc.

Edited by Morepork

8 hours ago, Herb said:

He’s absolutely key for us on this seasons form. Calculated gamble from TP as it’s imperative we pick up points before being able to strengthen in January. 

Carlos gets grief to this day for playing players when they weren't fully fit.

Wonder if this decision will attract the same level of outrage.

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's where our recruitment in the past several windows as let us down. If we had brought in a defensive holding midfielder type, Luongo could have been rested and replaced. We miss Iorfa and Luongo, whenever they've been out, plus we failed to adequately replace Murphy and Fletcher too. 

Without Luongo we lack something in midfield that makes the defence and midfield look better, and allows the likes of Bannan and Reach to be more effective in the game, in better areas of the pitch. 

Ive been saying the same for ages. Luongo is the new lynchpin and before that it was Hutchinson. Neither had proper back up or competition with David Jones and Pelupessy respectively. We should’ve busted a gut to bring Morsy in.

• Like 1

I do have to say though on last night showing Kachunga should never be selected again, what a complete waste of money, never did anything. He was absolutely useless when we brought Rhodes off, we may as well played with 10 men for his contribution and he will never be a striker. He struggles to be anything on performances like than.

Another truly awful bit of recruitment once again. Give youth players a chance if that what we get from seasoned pro's.

• Like 1

All the managers we've had for a number of years now have come in and bemoaned the injuries and said they'll do something about it.

But I suppose as soon as they've got the team to pick for their first game they realize giving players enough time to recover from injuries is a luxury they can't afford, and so it just carries on.

Mind you, it helps when you don't actually buy players with injuries (Dunkley).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Carlos gets grief to this day for playing players when they weren't fully fit.

Wonder if this decision will attract the same level of outrage.

There's a difference in an injured player being forced to play and an injured player wanting to play.

Guest wilyfox

Why am I not surprised? Monk said it was a knock with swelling, then he said hyperextension of the knee, and now we find out Luongo actually had a cartilage op. Monk was never truthful about injuries.