Jump to content

Man of the match - Swansea (A)


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Westwood- 6 - nowt to do until went off.
Wildsmith - 5- could he have done better with the goal? Maybe I'm being a little harsh but it was quite central.

Lees 7 - played well and stood up well to Swansea who weren't really at the races.
They improved after the break but our time wasting and stop start game distrupted them.
Borner - 7 - as above really

Van aken - 5 - flashbacks to the steel city derby with that defending. Switched off once and was punished. Not a bad back up but way down the pecking order

Palmer - 6 - defended Well but didn't really get forward as much as I would have liked

Moses - 6- dont see all the plaudits myself tonight, worked hard but he always works hard.
Almost cost us a goal and runs about abit like a headless chicken at times. Very poor delivery (as always)

Bannan - 6 - would have been a 5 but gets a 6 for his assist.
Very poor set piece delivery again other than the goal. Just not at the races at the moment. Better than last week but miles off his best.

Luongo- 6 - steady away not his best game but worked hard and broke up play well.

Reach 7.5 (MOM) - worked hard and well taken goal. Had a very good chance to make it two when well placed but spooned it. Needs to hit target there.

Paterson- 5 - ran alot, worked hard but offered no outlet didn't win a header and seemed out of place. Why the tallest player in the team is taking long throws to dwarfs is beyond me.

Rhodes- 3 - invisible throughout. Did nothing.
He really is just a waste of a shirt as awful as that is. Sooner he leaves the better. Probably the biggest financial mistake in the clubs history

Subs -
Shaw - 7 - thought he did well when he came on and broke up there play really well.

Kachunga- 4 - see rhodes really. Replaced an invisible man with another invisible man tonight. Glad he only signed a 1 year deal as he was another very poor signing.

Pellupessy- 5 - does what pessy does. Did his job.


Pulis - 6 - can't complain with a point really but I don't think we played particularly well. We played very negative anti football tactics to try and disrupt their flow and kill their tempo and to be fair it worked. It was just awful to watch. But I suppose this is us now. A poor squad trying to scrape points here and there.
I think Swansea were poor tonight and I often say I think our dour football rubs off on other teams. I csnt remember a good game we were involved In.
This system doesn't work for me and we will not stay in this league if we can't learn to go forward create and score goals.
Its a huge concern and one that hasnt been addressed yet.
Subs were like for like or defensive and when we should have gone for a second we didn't we just sat and was eventually punished.
TP needs some players through the door that can create and score goals because we literally cannot afford to wait 9 more games.

We played some decent stuff first half.

 

Dont forget the amount of players we still have out injured that can make a difference. 

Also he is doing what he can with what he has got.   

I thought they all did quite well. some poorer than others. no one was terrible.  But thats a good away point to a decent team.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy with a point overall 

 

Westwood N/A feel sorry for him. Must be so frustrated 

Palmer 6 ok

Lees 7 good but he’s better in the middle

Borner 8 outstanding again 

van Aken 5 I just think he’s a bit poo. Got turned far too easily for the goal

Odubajo 7 solid game. Really improved this season 

Luongo 6 solid but he’s been better

Bannan 7 better

Reach 8 best performance of the season and great finish 

Paterson 6 some lovely touches but is he really a midfielder?

Rhodes 6 thought he was shot until Kachunga came on

 

Wildsmith 7 did well overall but poor positioning for the goal

Pelupessy 6 ok

Kachunga 3 he’s crap

Shaw 7 thought he looked great

 

Starting to look like a Pulis team. Would have lost that under Monk.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

We played some decent stuff first half.

 

Dont forget the amount of players we still have out injured that can make a difference. 

Also he is doing what he can with what he has got.   

I thought they all did quite well. some poorer than others. no one was terrible.  But thats a good away point to a decent team.

Van Aken was terrible and at fault for the goal allowed Ayew to dance around him like a statue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

100% agree. I'll go with Odubajo, that's the best I've seen him play. Lees, Böner, Paterson, Bannan and Reach were also worthy. Wildsmith, Palmer, Luongo, Shaw and Rhodes deserve a shout too and maybe Van Aken before his little dance haha. I was a bit unsure for around the first 5 minutes as I thought we were going to defend for the full match, but it was the best I've seen us play since bruce or the first matches under monk. The time was flying for me, especially in the first half. I enjoyed that we had a plan from the start and it worked until after half time when Swansea changed formation/personnel, but also that TP saw we were on the ropes a bit around the time of them scoring and changed formation/personnel too after and it improved slightly. Also it was nice to see Bannan playing further upfield as well. My only negatives are that we didn't have at least 1 person upfield on corners, a thing I hated with monk too, and that are striker was isolated. But like you kinda said we would have been spanked if monk was still in charge, Swansea just notched it up a few gears in the second half. My prediction was kinda right as well haha as I thought we were gonna lose, but was hoping/predicted 0-1, 1-1 or 1-2.

  • Like 2

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

 

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gizowl said:

Van Aken was terrible and at fault for the goal allowed Ayew to dance around him like a statue. 

Ayew is a very good player and Van Aken has shown in the past that he is no good when faced with one on one's like that so I wasn't expecting him to do any better to be honest. If not for that mistake he wouldn't have been getting such poor scores in everybody's ratings. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Man of the match Reach.

 

Rhodes did well in the first half chasing things down forcing errors to give us possession in there half. Thankless task for a striker and he did it well. 


Good luck with that view on here mate.

 

I too thought he did well, though a long way short of being a MoM candidate for me.

 

But yes, I thought he kept 3 defenders honest. I thought we worsened when he went off. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Ayew is a very good player and Van Aken has shown in the past that he is no good when faced with one on one's like that so I wasn't expecting him to do any better to be honest. If not for that mistake he wouldn't have been getting such poor scores in everybody's ratings. 

Ime sure that aken would have been briefed on ayew, he is always going to turn onto his left foot, aken was too square and made it easy for him. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Man of the match Reach.

 

Rhodes did well in the first half chasing things down forcing errors to give us possession in there half. Thankless task for a striker and he did it well. 

Hopefully we will keep Rhodes as a starter and not just drop him like previously done.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

What happened to the old radial voting option?

I think because of all the text, I don't think you can do it with a poll.

  • Like 1

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

 

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Hopefully we will keep Rhodes as a starter and not just drop him like previously done.

Did he get taken off for his fitness? 55 mins seems like a "you were warned" time to take off a striker. Like hed been told he was crap and had 10 mins to prove otherwise. But I thought he was generally good and we were worse without him. Lost a bit of formational discipline and balance. Also we didnt press as well. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Did he get taken off for his fitness? 55 mins seems like a "you were warned" time to take off a striker. Like hed been told he was crap and had 10 mins to prove otherwise. But I thought he was generally good and we were worse without him. Lost a bit of formational discipline and balance. Also we didnt press as well. 

I desperately want him to do well. but for me he's just a body when we need a body in that general center forward position to make sure centre backs have less time to pick out a pass. That might mean we have a better formation and play better with him there, but surely we have a right to expect more?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Happy with a point overall 

 

Westwood N/A feel sorry for him. Must be so frustrated 

Palmer 6 ok

Lees 7 good but he’s better in the middle

Borner 8 outstanding again 

van Aken 5 I just think he’s a bit poo. Got turned far too easily for the goal

Odubajo 7 solid game. Really improved this season 

Luongo 6 solid but he’s been better

Bannan 7 better

Reach 8 best performance of the season and great finish 

Paterson 6 some lovely touches but is he really a midfielder?

Rhodes 6 thought he was shot until Kachunga came on

 

Wildsmith 7 did well overall but poor positioning for the goal

Pelupessy 6 ok

Kachunga 3 he’s crap

Shaw 7 thought he looked great

 

Starting to look like a Pulis team. Would have lost that under Monk.

JVA is a serviceable defender - but he is pish at reacting to opponents when one on one. Brookes really showed this weak point some time ago (I don't know if anyone remembers that game). I think once hes playing centre half and has someone to double up with he will be less exposed. Long term I don't think he will do unless he sorts out that side of his game or is a backup player. 

Katchunga: He isn't crap. Hes just not got the positional nouse that rhodes has - hes mostly a winger, so it doesn't come as naturally. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An improved performance but we still look woefully short of open play imagination and creativity.  We will always make a mistake at the back, clubs at this level do.  We will likely need to score 2 to win.  We look incapable of doing that.

 

Westwood - NA . No more needs to be said/ Wildsmith -6.  OK.

Palmer -7.  Defended well.

Borner 7.  Looks ragged at times but did basics very well

Lees - 7.  Not the confident defender of 4 years ago, but did ok.

Van Aken - 5.  No point slamming the guy, he has had major defensive footwork issues since he arrived.  no different last night.

Bannan - 7.  worked and ran his socks off. good corner

Luongo - 6.  A good player,  needs more fitness and game time.

Reach - 8 - Strong, willing, worked very hard and a great finish.

Moses- 8.5-  Brilliant and MOM, an outlet, worked so hard.  

Paterson - 7.5  - worked, but lacks an x factor

Rhodes - 6.  as above.

 

Subs- all 5, Shaw 7.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...