POST MATCH REACTION - what did you make of that?

I know it’s hard to say definitely but you’ve got to think a team playing as we did tonight wouldn’t have lost to Rotherham or Wycombe?

This was away to a side with much better players (and we still have significant injuries) and we looked quite a bit better than them in the first half. 
Second half was always going to be tough. I thought Ayew coming on was going to be the start of an avalanche of pressure and probably goals. 
But we didn’t collapse. 
Yes he scored but to be fair Van Aken is our third choice in that position and although hasn’t been as bad as other seasons isn’t fit to lace Ayew’s boots. 
Tony did him a favour taking him off. 
I think we will stay up if we get someone up top in Jan. 

I didn’t hate watching it either. 
Bring on Saturday!

43 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

Showed too much of the goal and didn't need to be off his line.

However it was Van Akens and Pattersons fault. Van Aken opened up too much and Patterson should have supported him 

Three of them played a part. JVA seemed to be standing off probably thinking Ayew could not score from there

18 minutes ago, Grandad said:

8 yards??

He was twice that.

Screenshot_20201125-222151_Twitter.jpg.aad82dd450b9fb7a784240f3aeaf1c7a.jpg

Wow that's pretty...but he still had both sides of the goal to aim for and put it around three players into the far side...a really great goal but awful defending from the 5 players around him...not the one that's in goal 🙄

Very good result tonight....only seen brief highlights. Nicely worked goal from the corner, someone on ere said Reach would score! Van Aken exposed on his right side again, almost a carbon copy of the way he defended against dem Blades a couple of years back...what WAS he doing?! Onward and upward.. Stoke definitely a winnable game🧐

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Terrible defending for their goal, kind of sums up how weak we can look at times. All standing off, giving him loads of time and space to pick his spot. 

Pleased with the goal we scored though, clearly well drilled set piece and Pulis knew Bannan was capable of hitting the ball low in to the box after Saturday's shambolic corners!

I think Pulis will keep us up, but we are desperate for players to return to fitness as well as some new faces. 

• Organised.
  • Solid
  • Players knowing what their actual jobs are.
  • A system
  • A game plan.
  • Accuracy of passing in the first half not seen for an age
  • Speed of transition from one end of the pitch to the other.
  • Players working their cajones off----as an organised unit.
  • Collective spirit and determination
  • Not crumbling in injury time
  • Like 4

I was really pleased with the performance tonite.

We all know we are painfully weak up front and are not going to get many goals from that area. So it I is essential that the midfield weigh in with some goals.

The defence looks organised and should get better when we have key players back.

Dead ball situations are going to be so important to us, we saw tonite some inventiveness for the first time a long time for the goal. I am expecting as TP gets to know the ability of the players we will become more dangerous from these. No more floaty out swinging corners that are so easy to defend against.

At last we looked like we have bottomed out.

Very good point

One I'd have took from the start

Swansea are no mugs at home 

And we gave them a game 

Better players for us and we'd have got more tonight 

Better performance tonight than we've seen from Monkball for over a year

Guest Grandad

When Ayew collects the ball van Aken is in the correct position, he's literally forcing Ayew to move centrally while preventing a shot by blocking sight of the goal. Note Wildsmith positioning

Screenshot_20201125-225815_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f27eab8a2296ebb62e4a15ed92117170.jpg

When Ayew takes his shot van Aken has clearly moved along tracking his player and still prevented the shot, can't ask for anything more (unless you want him to make a rash challenge of a tricky forward in the box).

Note Wildsmith literally hasn't moved. At all. One yard to his right to track Ayews movement wouldn't have put the goal at risk as VA is in the way. And would have given wildsmith a much better chance of making the save.

Other than that the keeper had a good match but his mistake cost us the win.Screenshot_20201125-225844_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7e9459a0068a51041a7724a283be255a.jpg

16 minutes ago, Grandad said:

When Ayew collects the ball van Aken is in the correct position, he's literally forcing Ayew to move centrally while preventing a shot by blocking sight of the goal. Note Wildsmith positioning

Screenshot_20201125-225815_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f27eab8a2296ebb62e4a15ed92117170.jpg

When Ayew takes his shot van Aken has clearly moved along tracking his player and still prevented the shot, can't ask for anything more (unless you want him to make a rash challenge of a tricky forward in the box).

Note Wildsmith literally hasn't moved. At all. One yard to his right to track Ayews movement wouldn't have put the goal at risk as VA is in the way. And would have given wildsmith a much better chance of making the save.

Other than that the keeper had a good match but his mistake cost us the win.Screenshot_20201125-225844_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7e9459a0068a51041a7724a283be255a.jpg

Great improvement tonight but there was 2 issues for me.

1) Wildsmith's positioning  for that Free kick that luckily missed.

2) JVA for me is at fault for the goal, he allows Ayew to get the ball on his left foot cut in towards goal and shoot. (Not too sure if this is his stronger foot, if so its even poorer defending)

Your 1st still pic - Push him onto his right foot and down towards the byline going away from goal.

Great point considering our current injuries / suspension.

Not bad. 

First half was really good tbf. Thought we knocked it around quite well tbh and were much the better side. 

The quality they possess started to shine through a bit in the second half and we were clinging on a little at the end, but I think we deserved a point on the balance of play. 

Still worried about the lack of quality up top though. Our striking options are pitiful. 

I didn't watch it horrified through my fingers like the Rotherham game. We were decent, moved ball well and closed down Swansea in first half. A few players back we could be a better proposition. 

Add in Iorfa, Flint and Windass and I think we will hard to beat and may actually score. 

35 minutes ago, Grandad said:

The way Palmer rollocked VA and his immediate substitution suggests as I believe Aken was totally to blame , he had the chance to close Ayew down and he failed miserably, to try and make out Wildsmith was at fault is misguided at best 

• Like 2