RIP Diego Maradona

Phenomenal footballer has died and all the English TV can do is bang on about the handball , everyone conveniently forgetting how utter dog 5 hite we were in that game 

Look at the ball bouncing all over the place for the 2nd  as he dribbled past the England players, unbelievable skill and balance , and then did it again in the semi 

14 hours ago, shandypants said:

Agreed. Gazza was crucified at times. We should have been celebrating his talent. I honestly believe that he could have been considered one of the very greatest ever if he’d received the proper care and support. 

I also believe that there’s a football snobbery towards England from other countries as well. I think that Gary Lineker was arguably the World’s best international Striker between ‘82 and ‘86 but he never really got the recognition. 

Gazza was a fantastic player, I thinkin the top 10 players of all time as you said previously is pushing it though.

Lineker was one of the best strikers around in his prime but worlds best striker from 82-86? He was playing second division football until late 1983 and didn't score his first international goal until 1985 so I think you might be a bit out with the years. Certainly had a claim to the Ballon D'or in 86, was voted runner up.  

On 26/11/2020 at 20:56, ChapSmurf said:

Yeah really. Ibrahimovic is still playing and scoring regularly at 39, two years after Maradona had finished playing a handful of games for Boca. Ibrahimovic has also played more club games, more internatoinal games, scored more goals at both levels and has a better scoring ratio. He has also played for more high profile teams than Maradona.

He's also won more Footballer of the Year awards (14 vs 4), more Top Scorer awards (5 vs 2), more club Championships medals (11 vs 3) and more domestic cup competitions (19 vs 5). The only thing Maradona has achieved that Ibrahimovic hasn't is a World Cup and I think a Champions League medal.

So in my opinion, a far better footballer who has achieved far more than Maradona.

This is the most ridiculous post ive ever read on here! Did you see the 86 world cup or what he did at napoli? Well done chapsmurf! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chizumgeorge said:

This is the most ridiculous post ive ever read on here! Did you see the 86 world cup or what he did at napoli? Well done chapsmurf! 

I very much doubt it is the most ridiculous post, but thanks for such high praise lol

On 26/11/2020 at 20:56, ChapSmurf said:

Yeah really. Ibrahimovic is still playing and scoring regularly at 39, two years after Maradona had finished playing a handful of games for Boca. Ibrahimovic has also played more club games, more internatoinal games, scored more goals at both levels and has a better scoring ratio. He has also played for more high profile teams than Maradona.

He's also won more Footballer of the Year awards (14 vs 4), more Top Scorer awards (5 vs 2), more club Championships medals (11 vs 3) and more domestic cup competitions (19 vs 5). The only thing Maradona has achieved that Ibrahimovic hasn't is a World Cup and I think a Champions League medal.

So in my opinion, a far better footballer who has achieved far more than Maradona.

Maradona's lack of self control meant his light didn't shine for as long as it could have done but for 4 or 5 years he was head and shoulders above everyone in the game, lifted a decent but unspectacular team to a World Cup win and raised Napoli from also rans to the best in the best league in the world at the time. 

Zlatan has looked after himself incredibly well, has fantastic talent and has had a great career but Maradona at his peak was a far better footballer.  

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maradona's lack of self control meant his light didn't shine for as long as it could have done but for 4 or 5 years he was head and shoulders above everyone in the game, lifted a decent but unspectacular team to a World Cup win and raised Napoli from also rans to the best in the best league in the world at the time. 

Zlatan has looked after himself incredibly well, has fantastic talent and has had a great career but Maradona at his peak was a far better footballer.  

I agree. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in the game at the time, and of course he had off-field problems which cut short his life. I don't disagree that at their peaks, Maradona was a better player than Ibrahimovic, but overall - in my opinion - Ibrahimovic is the better player due to his consistancy throughout his career. Maradona peaked, and then fell from grace.

I'm not denying that he was an excellent footballer player, I am simply saying that to me, he wasn't the greatest ever player and I can think of at least a half dozen who would rank above him. Maybe more.

But I respect eveyones view on him. It's subjective.

Guest Bulgaria
On 27/11/2020 at 12:22, BIG D said:

True Greats

Maradona

Pele

Messi

Paterson

Next Level

C Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Zidane

Cruyff

Eusebio

Best

57 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I agree. He was head and shoulders above everyone else in the game at the time, and of course he had off-field problems which cut short his life. I don't disagree that at their peaks, Maradona was a better player than Ibrahimovic, but overall - in my opinion - Ibrahimovic is the better player due to his consistancy throughout his career. Maradona peaked, and then fell from grace.

I'm not denying that he was an excellent footballer player, I am simply saying that to me, he wasn't the greatest ever player and I can think of at least a half dozen who would rank above him. Maybe more.

But I respect eveyones view on him. It's subjective.

IMO when deciding greatness in a player you’re talking about actual football ability, not consistency or trophies.

It’s like saying Gary Neville is a better right back than Trent Alexander 

It’s how good you are at your peak. Peak Ibra isn’t close to peak Maradona 

14 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

IMO when deciding greatness in a player you’re talking about actual football ability, not consistency or trophies.

It’s like saying Gary Neville is a better right back than Trent Alexander 

It’s how good you are at your peak. Peak Ibra isn’t close to peak Maradona 

To me greatness is not measured by ability alone. Greatness is measured by distinction, significance and prominance, which in football terms is again very much subjective. I don't deny peak Maradona was more skillful than peak Ibrahimovic, but does that really make him the better player? Not to me it doesn't.

On 26/11/2020 at 08:55, matthefish2002 said:

Maradona was not one of footballs good guys though.

Yes a brilliant, brilliant player but the drugs, links to organised crime, the chaotic private life, the guns, tax  evasion.

I don't think there is much the celebrate about the bloke himself.

It’s a shame that his demons also extended to violence against women.