RIP Diego Maradona

There is no doubt that Maradona was an extraordinary, once-in-a-generation player. I doubt that anyone can disagree with calling him the best player in the world in his time. He did indeed almost single handedly win the World Cup for his country and his off-field contributions were often admirable, too.

For me, though, Pele was the better player. He was just 17 when he won his first World Cup in 1958 as a star player in the Brazil squad. Indeed, he was the youngest player to appear in a World Cup Final, score in a World Cup Final (with not one, but two goals)  and win a World Cup Final.

His contribution to a Brazil team in 1970 - a team which I reckon is the best team of eleven players you will ever see - was remarkable as he won his third World Cup winners' medal as they destroyed a world class Italy side in the final.

It's no insult or a disgrace to be #2 to the brilliant Brazilian.

But, at the moment, we remember a football legend, Maradona, whose contributions both on and off the field, whilst sometimes controversial, were the mark of a genius and a true star.

PS Incidentally, it is likely that had either Messi (1.7m) or Maradona (1.65m) been born and try to ply their trade in England, probably neither would get anywhere near a professional contract just on height alone. At 1.73m, Pele wasn't the tallest striker around even 50 years ago. Seems rather sobering to think that where height is now regraded as a pre-requisite, the talent of all three of these players might have been missed.

4 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

PS Incidentally, it is likely that had either Messi (1.7m) or Maradona (1.65m) been born and try to ply their trade in England, probably neither would get anywhere near a professional contract just on height alone. At 1.73m, Pele wasn't the tallest striker around even 50 years ago. Seems rather sobering to think that where height is now regraded as a pre-requisite, the talent of all three of these players might have been missed.

Oh come now, you're doing a disservice to Barry Bannon

lol

• Haha 2

Guest Mcguigan
43 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

News Flash - VAR have just reviewed the infamous “Hand of God”  goal from the 86 World Cup    and have decided to award Man Utd a penalty !

Seriously though, RIP Maradona - a true legend

Its a good job VAR wasn't around for that game, we'd have been down to 10 men and 2-0 down before halftime.

2 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Oh come now, you're doing a disservice to Barry Bannon

lol

Sorry about that... I love to see the ball knocked along the ground if only to see Bannan heading it.

Having said that,  did you see him contest a header at Swansea and WIN the ball?!

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Maradona won the World Cup for Argentina almost by himself.
Maradona was a genius of a player where as Ibrahimovic is just a very good player.

Nah, I don't agree. Maradone was a cheat, first and foremost and if you overlook that, you overlook the integrity of the sport. He took performance enhancing drugs off the field and cheated whilst on it.

53 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Nah, I don't agree. Maradone was a cheat, first and foremost and if you overlook that, you overlook the integrity of the sport. He took performance enhancing drugs off the field and cheated whilst on it.

How many footballers dont cheat?

A Wednesday player would never dive for a pen?

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

How many footballers dont cheat?

A Wednesday player would never dive for a pen?

You're missing the point. People are claiming he was one of the best players the world has ever seen. Yet he cheated, constantly, both off and on the field. If he was playing now, he would be banned for taking performance enhancing drugs. That's not a world great. That's a pure and simple cheat. Diving for penalty is not the same thing. He constantly abused the rules throughout his career.

You'll never change my mind, so you can come back with as many arguements as you like. Yes, he had the ability and skill, but it was marred.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

You're missing the point. People are claiming he was one of the best players the world has ever seen. Yet he cheated, constantly, both off and on the field. If he was playing now, he would be banned for taking performance enhancing drugs. That's not a world great. That's a pure and simple cheat. Diving for penalty is not the same thing. He constantly abused the rules throughout his career.

You'll never change my mind, so you can come back with as many arguements as you like. Yes, he had the ability and skill, but it was marred.

Loads of great players cheat and loads of great players abuse their bodies with drink and alcohol - George Best and Paul Gascogne for example; the latter is arguably in the top ten greatest ever players and the former is arguably in the top five but both have very chequered pasts. Messi and Ronaldo have very serious allegations against them. Maradona, for me, is the greatest ever. I believe that some people can’t acknowledge his greatest because of the prejudice they hold related to the ‘86 World Cup quarter final. 

Just now, shandypants said:

Loads of great players cheat and loads of great players abuse their bodies with drink and alcohol - George Best and Paul Gascogne for example; the latter is arguably in the top ten greatest ever players and the former is arguably in the top five but both have very chequered pasts. Messi and Ronaldo have very serious allegations against them. Maradona, for me, is the greatest ever. I believe that some people can’t acknowledge his greatest because of the prejudice they hold related to the ‘86 World Cup quarter final. 

Abusing your body with alcohol is one thing. Abusing it, and the sport the player represents, with performance enhancing drugs is something completely different. It's nothing to do with prejudice about what happened in the world cup. It goes way beyond that.

Each to their own, but I will never class Maradona as one of the worlds greatest football players.

1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

Abusing your body with alcohol is one thing. Abusing it, and the sport the player represents, with performance enhancing drugs is something completely different. It's nothing to do with prejudice about what happened in the world cup. It goes way beyond that.

Each to their own, but I will never class Maradona as one of the worlds greatest football players.

Yep, each to their own but I’m baffled by your judgement. It’s apparent that he is one of the greatest. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Yep, each to their own but I’m baffled by your judgement. It’s apparent that he is one of the greatest. 

It's not apparent at all. It depends on ones view of what "greatest" means.

Anyway, we are just going around in circles. We've both made our opinions clear and that's okay as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, fatzooma said:

Probably a bit harsh but it annoys me how we dont celebrate our own stars enough..There’s been some outstanding players from the Uk but we just knock em down.

Agreed. Gazza was crucified at times. We should have been celebrating his talent. I honestly believe that he could have been considered one of the very greatest ever if he’d received the proper care and support. 

I also believe that there’s a football snobbery towards England from other countries as well. I think that Gary Lineker was arguably the World’s best international Striker between ‘82 and ‘86 but he never really got the recognition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Agreed. Gazza was crucified at times. We should have been celebrating his talent. I honestly believe that he could have been considered one of the very greatest ever if he’d received the proper care and support. 

I also believe that there’s a football snobbery towards England from other countries as well. I think that Gary Lineker was arguably the World’s best international Striker between ‘82 and ‘86 but he never really got the recognition. 

If Lineker was Italian playing in their national side he would have won the Ballon d’Or in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

It’s hard to argue that he was getting much of a sporting advantage from taking performance enhancing drugs though. By that stage he was drug addled from all the recreational stuff and he needed to take it just to be ‘normal’

He’s a quality player but as always with the older players you can level at them that the standard of the opposition wasn’t great. I don’t think Messi would have much difficulty dribbling past Peter Reid, Terry Butcher and Peter Shilton  either