RIP Diego Maradona

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Great photo, although apparently seen out of context: Argentina had taken a free kick to Maradona, the Belgians in the picture are their wall breaking rather than a 6 on 1 marking ploy.

Yes thats true apparently. Still, its a great image and represents the little twxts impact.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Great player but not such a great bloke.

Unfortunately I don’t think he ever became a bloke: was a star at such an early age, from a desperately poor background, surrounded by parasites (including, in Naples, mafiosa). 

To me, the most talented player, who did miraculous things, but like all tragedies a great but flawed person has a terrible downfall 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They are rating him as a football talent.  There are many cases of people who can not handle living life in a glass bowl.  I don't ever recall him taking enhancing drugs.  None of us are perfect. 

The argument of the best footballer will be constantly debated and he will always be in the running.  

RIP Diego 

He was sent home in disgrace from the 1994 World Cup for failing a drugs test. He also later admitted in a TV interview many incidences of cheating.

Did Pele cheat, or George Best?

34 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

He was sent home in disgrace from the 1994 World Cup for failing a drugs test. He also later admitted in a TV interview many incidences of cheating.

Did Pele cheat, or George Best?

GB didn't cheat but he was another player who was flawed and had his own demons to fight.

Do drugs substantially make footballers better. players?  I can only see them giving players more strength so they can run longer etc. But they wouldn't make them more skilful players would it?

But purely on his footballing ability alone he must be rated in the top bracket as a footballer.  

Miy top players would be Messi, Pele,, Ronaldo, Maradona 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

GB didn't cheat but he was another player who was flawed and had his own demons to fight.

Do drugs substantially make footballers better. players?  I can only see them giving players more strength so they can run longer etc. But they wouldn't make them more skilful players would it?

But purely on his footballing ability alone he must be rated in the top bracket as a footballer.  

Miy top players would be Messi, Pele,, Ronaldo, Maradona 

Depends what he was taking.. plenty of performance enhancers which would increase strength, endurance or recovery. But in his case he probably needed that just to offset the effects of what he was doing to himself with all the recreational drugs or alcohol rather than to gain much of an advantage. Totally clean players would probably be fitter 

Got to see him play in 1987 when the Football League played The Rest Of The World at Wembley. Superb player.

As much as the 'Hand Of God' goal was a disappointment, the other goal against England in 1986 was one of the best goals I have seen. To happen on that stage, at that time in the tournament was immense.  

The guy was a pure footballing genius - Greatest player of all time for me.

RIP

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
6 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Same as you regarding maradona

Yeah cos Benfica and Real Madrid were on telly every week in the late 50s and early 60s

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Loving all the 'holier than thou' obituaries in here

I had no idea we had so many perfect people posting on Owlstalk

Maradona was not one of footballs good guys though.

Yes a brilliant, brilliant player but the drugs, links to organised crime, the chaotic private life, the guns, tax  evasion.

I don't think there is much the celebrate about the bloke himself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1