RIP Diego Maradona

There are plenty of present day footballers that have won games by feigning injury to get players sent off, by diving to get penalties and so on. He's remembered for the "hand of god" goal rather than the other goal that day mainly because it was against us in a World Cup and because he was Argentinian. The drugs saw him off I suspect, much like the alcohol saw off other famous players.

He was an undoubted genius on the pitch and sadly very much flawed off it - and for that I sincerely hope he does rest in peace

• Like 1

I was so angry in 1986 QF as a kid when Maradona opened the scoring with his ‘hand of God’. But what a talent and player.  A true football genius and great.  In recent times I have watched the you tube montages of his skills and goals.  

Feel quite down with his passing.  His football brought such joy to millions and what he achieved at Napoli and in the defensive Italian Serie A in the late 80s and early 90s was sensational.  A working mans player, a genius. He had his demons and was flawed like the rest of us but loved football which meant football fans had a connection.  RIP Diego Maradona.  Your football brought joy to millions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Peter Reid still dines out on the memory that Maradona disappeared from view like a snow flake on a Red Hot Shovel  lol

Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina - YouTube

Terry Fenwick had one job for that 2nd goal kick Maradona but because he was on a yellow he neshed it 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FAT OWL said:

There are plenty of present day footballers that have won games by feigning injury to get players sent off, by diving to get penalties and so on. He's remembered for the "hand of god" goal rather than the other goal that day mainly because it was against us in a World Cup and because he was Argentinian. The drugs saw him off I suspect, much like the alcohol saw off other famous players.

He was an undoubted genius on the pitch and sadly very much flawed off it - and for that I sincerely hope he does rest in peace

Naw the 2nd goal was awesome ......................Fenwick should still have taken him out tho 

..................and Archies goal against Holland in 78 was better 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I don't ever recall him taking enhancing drugs. 

He took ephadrine and was banned for 18 months. Ephadrine does enhance physical performance as its a sympathomimetic and a central nervous system stimulant, commonly used as an energy enhancer. He was a prolific cheat. I'm fine with people just judging him on his footballing talent but when that talent may have well been supported by artificial means then for me that disqualifies him from being assessed at the side of true greats that broadly played their sport fairly. You're obviously entitled to holding a different view though, that's cool.

Edited by Owl Be Back
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Owl Be Back said:

He took ephadrine and was banned for 18 months. Ephadrine does enhance physical performance as its a sympathomimetic and a central nervous system stimulant, commonly used as an energy enhancer. He was a prolific cheat. I'm fine with people just judging him on his footballing talent but when that talent may have well been supported by artificial means then for me that disqualifies him from being assessed at the side of true greats that broadly played their sport fairly. You're obviously entitled to holding a different view though, that's cool.

Fair point honestly don't remember that but prefer to see the positives in people than the negatives

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fair point honestly don't remember that but prefer to see the positives in people than the negatives

Just to be clear, so do I. We all have our crosses to bear through life and we all manage them in different ways. We're discussing legacy here though and the potential issue that his capabilities were artificially enhanced through cheating so in this case I can't assess the guy without also looking at the possibility that he had unfair advantages over others as those are factors in judging his performances directly.

• Like 1

He had undoubted talent, but cheated both on and off the pitch. He simply cannot be classed as one of the worlds greats. He's not even close to the likes of Best (way before my time), Messi, Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic. To me he will always be a cheat.

I've zero emotion about his death, except the fact that he was obviously a troubled person. I don't like to think of people suffering from mental health issues, but he obviously did.

• Like 1