RIP Diego Maradona

It's sad that he's gone at just 60. One of the most skilful players ever to grace the game. I'll personally always remember him for the handball in the world Cup though, was only a nipper but can still remember how angry I was. Not the best ever for me, not even the best argie, but iconic nonetheless. Rip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

RIP Diago condolences to all concerned.

No 1 As far as I'm concerned.

He certainly had it all, but sadly he was also a blatant cheat (not just the 'Hand of God' but many other instances) so for me could never be no.1.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I was 25 when he f**ked us overI

Still bitter. 

I was only 14, and really starting to love football. The World Cup in 1986 was the first time I saw what the game unfortunately could also be all about. 

I’ve just seen the article on the news and it made me reyt angry mad again. 

• Like 1

While it's not exactly a shock that he died relatively young, it doesn't take away the impact of his passing. He was legendary within in his own life time. A footballing genius, with a troubled personal life.  The joy he brought to many watching his sublime skills, AND the pain to fans of opposing teams also, can not and should not be forgotten. To watch him with the ball at his feet was mesmerising. In my opinion, nobody in the modern game comes close, not Messi nor Ronaldo. 

Diego Maradona: Obituary - Argentina's flawed football icon - 

• Like 3

A great player, one of the greatest I've ever seen during my lifetime. The 80s and 90s had some iconic players during my childhood.

I loved watching the likes of Roberto Baggio; Dejan Savicevic, Lothar Matthaus, Diego Maradona, Gheorghe Hagi and Carlos Valderrama, etc. Maradona was flawed and had his demons but during his rise and his peak, he was phenomenal and could take on teams on his own, many of whom had to resort to trying to kick and hack him down.

Even despite his demons he was still one of the most iconic and one of the greatest ever players to play the game, along with the likes of Puskas; Pele, Eusebio, Cruyff and Baggio, etc. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

He certainly had it all, but sadly he was also a blatant cheat (not just the 'Hand of God' but many other instances) so for me could never be no.1.

Agree with you. Enormous talent but a cheating tw*t and how many times were those performances 'enhanced'. The fact he was an out-and-out cheat and had links with Mafia means he's never number 1 for me. I get why other people think stuff like that doesn't count though and rate him as the best.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

My greatest also. He shouldn’t be remembered for “the hand of God”. I’m sure some numpties will celebrate his demise because of that incident though. 

The best ever for me also, despite Messi, being errr Messi, he couldn't carry his Argentina Team to a World Cup, like Maradona did.

Did the same with Napoli, then an unfancied regional Team, when the Italian League was the best in the world.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Agree with you. Enormous talent but a cheating tw*t and how many times were those performances 'enhanced'. The fact he was an out-and-out cheat and had links with Mafia means he's never number 1 for me. I get why other people think stuff like that doesn't count though and rate him as the best.

They are rating him as a football talent.  There are many cases of people who can not handle living life in a glass bowl.  I don't ever recall him taking enhancing drugs.  None of us are perfect. 

The argument of the best footballer will be constantly debated and he will always be in the running.  

RIP Diego 

27 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Don't even recognize him as a sportsman