Will we see an improved Westwood tonight?

Just now, GLOwl said:

Oh I see, everyone has to “tough up and get on with it”? Great attitude - not.

chuff me, you’re Garry Monk!!!!!!! How’s that winning changing room coming along?

To answer: At this level, yes, 100%

If you can’t deal with the egos of entitled, opinionated millionaires then you are in the wrong job.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Its sad we're arguing over who's the least worst keeper to play in the side instead of who the best keeper is

To be fair, that's because the #1 slot is nailed on and so not much open for debate.

It's Wildsmith, just to clarify.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He didn’t get punished for what he did wrong.

Go and watch the first 90 seconds of the Wycombe game and come back to me

Just watched it. You were out on the timing. 3 minutes in poor back pass from Palmer means he has to rush his clearance and it hits a Wycombe player. Not quite the same as lobbing it to an opposition player in the box with 75% of the goal open

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So...

Kieren Westwood?

I've given my views on this matter many times over as well you know, but for the sake of the ‘show’:

Westwood's been correctly re-integrated back into the squad.

He played on Saturday after about 11 months without a game and seemingly little more than a week's training.

He displaced Wildsmith not because Wildsmith had played poorly in the last 2 or 3 games but because his performances overall since making his debut for Wednesday about five years or so ago haven't given the strongest impression that he's actually going to be up to the standard required long term, so Pulis' view here presumably is that Westwood can either regain his form or he'll need a new keeper.

Westwood made a weak punched clearance that lead to a goal. Was it rustiness after so long out? Or does it represent the level of decline he's now at? We'll find out in the next 10 games until January.

And even if Pulis concludes before January that Westwood isn't going to be up to it, I suspect Wildsmith's re-selection would only be temporary since if he really already had faith in Wildsmith's abilities, he wouldn't have dropped him for Westwood at all. After all, this isn't about Westwood, or Wildsmith, or Dawson but about who the keeper will be for, at least, the rest of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

chuff me, you’re Garry Monk!!!!!!! How’s that winning changing room coming along?

To answer: At this level, yes, 100%

If you can’t deal with the egos of entitled, opinionated millionaires then you are in the wrong job.

No! D1ckh3ads need sorting out in all walks of life. Bullying is just not acceptable.

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

I've given my views on this matter many times over as well you know, but for the sake of the ‘show’:

Westwood's been correctly re-integrated back into the squad.

He played on Saturday after about 11 months without a game and seemingly little more than a week's training.

He displaced Wildsmith not because Wildsmith had played poorly in the last 2 or 3 games but because his performances overall since making his debut for Wednesday about five years or so ago haven't given the strongest impression that he's actually going to be up to the standard required long term, so Pulis' view here presumably is that Westwood can either regain his form or he'll need a new keeper.

Westwood made a weak punched clearance that lead to a goal. Was it rustiness after so long out? Or does it represent the level of decline he's now at? We'll find out in the next 10 games until January.

And even if Pulis concludes before January that Westwood isn't going to be up to it, I suspect Wildsmith's re-selection would only be temporary since if he really already had faith in Wildsmith's abilities, he wouldn't have dropped him for Westwood at all. After all, this isn't about Westwood, or Wildsmith, or Dawson but about who the keeper will be for, at least, the rest of the season.

Thank you

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thank you

And thank you for moderating the tone of your posts on this topic too.

Despite you feeling the need to remove my posts, I'm glad they hit home all the same.

Hopefully, discussions upon the current keeper problem at Wednesday can be much less volatile now.

Just now, cowl said:

And thank you for moderating the tone of your posts on this topic too.

Despite you feeling the need to remove my posts, I'm glad they hit home all the same.

Hopefully, discussions upon the current keeper problem at Wednesday can be much less volatile now.

They didn't hit home one tiny bit

I just remove any posts that attack posters and don't debate the topic

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Just watched it. You were out on the timing. 3 minutes in poor back pass from Palmer means he has to rush his clearance and it hits a Wycombe player. Not quite the same as lobbing it to an opposition player in the box with 75% of the goal open

There’s nothing wrong with Palmer’s pass, Wildsmith just needed to boot it...instead he tried to chip it past the forward across his goal

Absolutely schoolboy level goalkeeping, and lucky not to get punished.

If you can’t acknowledge that as a bad goalkeeping error then it’s clear you’ve got a position and you’re just going to defend it at all costs

31 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

There’s nothing wrong with Palmer’s pass, Wildsmith just needed to boot it...instead he tried to chip it past the forward across his goal

Absolutely schoolboy level goalkeeping, and lucky not to get punished.

If you can’t acknowledge that as a bad goalkeeping error then it’s clear you’ve got a position and you’re just going to defend it at all costs

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Of course, we both hope that Westwood has a fault free game tonight and we pick up 3 points.

WAWAW

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1) I don't see that at all

2) Even if you slip it would take your reaction/reflexes longer to change from a catch to a punch than it would just to catch it?

I'm not buying the slipped excuse at all 

I agree with this.. and I dislike it when keepers punch instead of catch. Come for the catch and if you don’t take it you probably get a free kick with the striker running in to you anyway 

He’s better than the other two though. Going to be rusty but the people saying he’s been rubbish for years are forgetting that he was at his best between December 2018 and May 2019 when he came back from a year out. 

Last season wasn’t great but he started it badly with the red card which was Palmer’s fault, then made some errors in 3 or 4 games in a row. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt unless over the next 6-8 games we see mistake after mistake 

In answer to the OP, I hope we do see an improved Westwood tonight.

After 12 months off I'm not that confident though.

It worries me that Pulis appears to be basing his confidence on Westwoods ability on how he was possibly up to 2 to 3 years ago.

Hope I'm wrong but on the short time he will have seen him back in training I can't see he has anything else to go on.

We need a new goalkeeper 

None are good enough 

All I know is if Dawson and wildsmith had done the mistake Westwood had done they'd have got a right bashing for it. 

Westwood hasnt been a good goalkeeper for 3/4 years 

Complete waste of time, money 

The worse thing pulis could do is renewing Westwoods contract 

• Like 2