Favourite comebacks

7 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

The Pigs, and Derby comebacks ate good shouts. As is Rotherham. Probably my three favourite away days.

I'd also add the 2-1 win away at Birmingham a few years back (the one with the video of the shocked Birmingham fan in the exec boxes behind us.)

We walked from Birmingham City centre to the ground and the heavens opened part way. We were drenched by the time we got there. We got 4 injuries in the first half (including one where Lee got injured in the warm up and one where Westwood recieved 11 minutes of spinal protocol treatment). 1-0 down with 4 of the original starting line-up off by halftime.

It would have been so either to just roll over given the terrible weather and all the injuries. But instead we put in one of our best battling performances ever. Came back to win 2-1 including one of the best full pitch breakaway goals you'll ever see.

Brum. Word for word my thoughts

On 22/11/2020 at 10:30, Holmowl said:

WBA away in “Prem” under Wilkinson. 2-0 down before Varadi and Shelton scored 2 late goals.

Clough’s Forest at home. 1-0 down and getting totally schooled in football for 80 minutes. Marwood equalised against the run of play then with our last breath we won a corner and in front of the Kop Chamberlain got 1mm of one stud onto the ball from 3 yards and it rolled over the line in slow motion for the win.

Bristol City 2-0 down, then 2-1 down with ten men and a pen, only for them to miss the pen, get an immediate red, and Lee scored the winner in the 157th minute.

I'm so glad someone else remembers that Forest game, they absolutely battered us and Hodge kept the scores at nil nil with plenty of fantastic saves.

Eventually they finally beat him, only for to score twice with what I remember being our only 2 attacks of the match. 

Absolute robbery I loved it!!

Remember many in this thread, WBA away in 90/91 under big Ron probably wins it for me, again we robbed them with 2 very late goals after an usually (for that season) poor Performance.

The large away following in that big Corner went Crackers.

Great memory from a great time (not just football wise either).

• Like 1

On 22/11/2020 at 07:59, matthefish2002 said:

I remember Southampton away I think in 1997 when Pleat was manager.

2-0 down at half time and won 3-2.

One of mine too. Took the lead, then Hirst and Palmer scored for them. Di Canio got our winner at the death after dribbling round three of their defenders and the keeper.

Another one much further back that I remember was 3-3 v Notts County at their place in '74. We were 1-0 up and looking good then they git a very dodgy penalty scored by Ian Scanlon who went on to get one of the fastest hat-tricks ever in just under 3 minutes. When we got the equaliser just before the end we went ballistic!

2011/12 2-2 away at United. Not Madine's biggest fan but that moment was amazing.

2014/15 3-2 away at Rotherham .A game where I think I experienced every emotion possible from football, Joy, anger, disappointment, frustration, despair and delight.

2016/17 3-2 home to Bristol City. Just a crazy game, the rain beforehand, the first time we'd come back from 2-0 down to win at home in about 14 years. Last minute winner. One of my favourite nights at Hillsborough.

15 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

Hutch equalising in injury time after Westwood had dropped a clanger at Brentford away a few years ago, and somewhere in the back of my mind

Charlton at home  late 70s/early 80s, something like losing 4-1 in the first half and eventually winning 5-4 (or did i imagine it) someone on here will know

The Charlton game was 1982-83.  4-1 down at half-time, one of the linesmen couldn't continue.  In those days the 4th official was there purely to act as linesman in an emergency (if the referee got injured, then the senior linesman took over).  On that day, my mate, a senior qualified Referee and as mad a Wednesdayite as anybody, took the flag and was put on the line in the half the Owls were attacking.  Result, 4 goals without reply!  He lived on that story for a few years.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

The Charlton game was 1982-83.  4-1 down at half-time, one of the linesmen couldn't continue.  In those days the 4th official was there purely to act as linesman in an emergency (if the referee got injured, then the senior linesman took over).  On that day, my mate, a senior qualified Referee and as mad a Wednesdayite as anybody, took the flag and was put on the line in the half the Owls were attacking.  Result, 4 goals without reply!  He lived on that story for a few years.

Some idiot in the North stand was chanting " Charlton out" at some stage in that match!

On 22/11/2020 at 16:17, Nero said:

For those of a certain vintage.

Charlton 5 4 after being 3 1 down at half time.

The Steve Gritt outside the box volleyed og being a particular highlight 

i was just about to post this !!! 

as a background, we'd lost 4-0 away at burnley the match before (new years day?) and found ourselves 3-1 down at home at half time .... just imagine the meltdown  on here !!!!  :duntmatter:

17 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Remember many in this thread, WBA away in 90/91 under big Ron probably wins it for me, again we robbed them with 2 very late goals after an usually (for that season) poor Performance.

The large away following in that big Corner went Crackers.

Great memory from a great time (not just football wise either).

This paragraph sums mine up. Nearly broke my ankles on the concrete steps when that winner went in.

Where has the time gone..............ffs. Scary.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

One of mine too. Took the lead, then Hirst and Palmer scored for them. Di Canio got our winner at the death after dribbling round three of their defenders and the keeper.

The one where we were 2-0 down at half time was in 96-97 and Hirst scored twice for us with Andy Booth getting the winner. The one you're describing - same fixture and result - was the following season.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Another one much further back that I remember was 3-3 v Notts County at their place in '74. We were 1-0 up and looking good then they git a very dodgy penalty scored by Ian Scanlon who went on to get one of the fastest hat-tricks ever in just under 3 minutes. When we got the equaliser just before the end we went ballistic!

I remember that one Utah - the racket we made in Sheffield station on the way, being kettled by the police at Nottingham station (although I didn't know the term then).  The Wednesdayites were down the side towards the end where Scanlon got his hat trick - on wood and cinder terracing if I remember right.  Could anyone look up who scored for us?  I've a vague memory of a long range effort by Potts, and did Ron Ferguson get one - I can't really remember.  Could be completely wrong.

Got to give a mention to the Hartlepool game in Cardiff - 2-1 down in the last 10 minutes.  Another dodgy penalty??  I don't care - we deserved to win.

Famous comebacks? I obviously misunderstood what the thread was about. Anyway these take some beating.....

Sarah Bernhardt: ‘Do you mind if I smoke?’

Oscar Wilde : ‘I don’t mind if you burn’

Bessie Braddock: ‘Winston, you are drunk!’

Churchill: ‘Bessie, my dear, you are ugly. But, tomorrow, I shall be sober’

Lady Astor: ‘Winston, if you were my husband, I would poison your coffee’

Churchill: ‘Nancy, if you were my wife, I should drink it’

Churchill (After being disturbed while on the loo by the Lord Privy Seal): ‘Tell him I can only deal with one poo at a time’

The 4th Earl of Sandwich: ‘Sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox’

John Wilkes: ‘That depends, my lord, on whether I embrace your lordship’s principles or your mistress’

Sir Thomas Beecham to a cellist: ‘Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it’

And one from an American: Groucho Marx: ‘She got her good looks from her father, he’s a plastic surgeon’