Favourite comebacks

The one comeback that always stands out for me, for some strange reason, was Reading at home when Turner was in charge.

2-0 at half time, and hadn't a kick. They brought John Salako on at HT, and goals from Sibon, Quinn and Alan Johnstone, lobbing Hannamann turned it around.

Think it was Sibon's last game for us.

The other ones that stand out:

- Rotherham away. 2-1 down, going into the 90th minute, and we all know what happened. 

- United at Bramall Lane, coming from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Absolute carnage when Madine scored the equaliser.

- Bristol game at Hillsborough. 2-0 down, down to 10 men, Bristol missed a penalty, and have a man sent off seconds later. Somehow won it 3-2. Unreal game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

The one comeback that always stands out for me, for some strange reason, was Reading at home when Turner was in charge.

2-0 at half time, and hadn't a kick. They brought John Salako on at HT, and goals from Sibon, Quinn and Alan Johnstone, lobbing Hannamann turned it around.

Think it was Sibon's last game for us.

The other ones that stand out:

- Rotherham away. 2-1 down, going into the 90th minute, and we all know what happened. 

- United at Bramall Lane, coming from 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Absolute carnage when Madine scored the equaliser.

- Bristol game at Hillsborough. 2-0 down, down to 10 men, Bristol missed a penalty, and have a man sent off seconds later. Somehow won it 3-2. Unreal game.

Absolutely smashed it down with rain on the way down to the ground, was drenched. Back when Kieran Lee was fully functional and scoring for fun. Lees and Hutchinson played center back and got the run around by a young Tammy Abraham. Great game

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unkastav said:

Top 3 that you have experienced.

up there for me

pigs away 2-2 madine

wba away trev and shirty 2-1

derby away 2-2 Reda

Close call for oldham 2-2 1990 if only danny had put that late effort in!!

I was at that Bristol one a few years back.  We won 3-2 after being 2 down early doors.

On 22/11/2020 at 10:30, Holmowl said:

WBA away in “Prem” under Wilkinson. 2-0 down before Varadi and Shelton scored 2 late goals.

Clough’s Forest at home. 1-0 down and getting totally schooled in football for 80 minutes. Marwood equalised against the run of play then with our last breath we won a corner and in front of the Kop Chamberlain got 1mm of one stud onto the ball from 3 yards and it rolled over the line in slow motion for the win.

Bristol City 2-0 down, then 2-1 down with ten men and a pen, only for them to miss the pen, get an immediate red, and Lee scored the winner in the 157th minute.

This for me, seen many more but have forgotten most in a haze of old age and alcohol.  What made it special was getting soaked to the skin walking to the ground and having to spend a fortune in the club shop before hand to buy dry clothes.  Sat with my wet gear in a bag under the seat, steaming away not knowing if the match would start or be abandoned.  Watching Tammy totally rule us and going 1-2 down.  Then that sending off (was it Hutch's diving handball/header at ground level?) and penalty began what I feel was the most bizarre turnaround ever.  Fearing a 1-3 scoreline 30 seconds later it was still 1-2 and it was now 10 men each.  Led to a fantastic and most unexpected comeback.   Lee was excellent and calm, but all went bananas when it went in. great stuff.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Hutch equalising in injury time after Westwood had dropped a clanger at Brentford away a few years ago, and somewhere in the back of my mind

Charlton at home  late 70s/early 80s, something like losing 4-1 in the first half and eventually winning 5-4 (or did i imagine it) someone on here will know

The Pigs, and Derby comebacks ate good shouts. As is Rotherham. Probably my three favourite away days.

I'd also add the 2-1 win away at Birmingham a few years back (the one with the video of the shocked Birmingham fan in the exec boxes behind us.)

We walked from Birmingham City centre to the ground and the heavens opened part way. We were drenched by the time we got there. We got 4 injuries in the first half (including one where Lee got injured in the warm up and one where Westwood recieved 11 minutes of spinal protocol treatment). 1-0 down with 4 of the original starting line-up off by halftime.

It would have been so either to just roll over given the terrible weather and all the injuries. But instead we put in one of our best battling performances ever. Came back to win 2-1 including one of the best full pitch breakaway goals you'll ever see.

• Like 2