Replacements in summer - who was better than those who left?

Guest Grandad

2 hours ago, GLOwl said:

Morgan Fox - None

Kieran Lee -  Brown

Sam Hutchinson -  None

Sam Winnall - Windass

Atdhe Nuhiu - Windass (I class winall and Nuhiu as one player as neither of them were anything other than bit part players whereas Windass is a regular starter)

Fernando Forestieri -  N/A, glad to see him leave given his poor fitness and attitude 

Steven Fletcher - None

Nuhiu is a completely different kind of forward to Windass so your comparison doesn’t work there. Also, Brown has been injured probably just as much or maybe more than Lee would have been so Brown isn’t really a replacement (particularly when you consider the quality that Lee brought). 

4 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

No issues??

He could go down as a rival to Abdi in the signing injured players category 

He was a gamble and no one knows if it’s going to pay off

but signing him has probably meant we did not sign a player for another position and then had to sign another centre half because he wasn’t fit 

and you talk about spaffing money 

Rival Abdi? He didn’t cost 4m. He was a free transfer. He will be on half the money that Abdi was on. 

The oddest thing about the Dunkley was signing was that he was the first signing of the summer we'd made, and a number of weeks before season even started, so it's not like it can even be said that he was a last moment panic buy.

Already deep into November now, more than a quarter of the league games played, will we even see him this year?

Monk said that he knew Dunkley wouldn't be fit to start the season, but I can only assume the lad's had a set-back or two along the way because if he knew he would be this long before he'd be fit, then there's no way on earth he should ever be in a position where he gets final say on picking players.

9 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

No issues??

He could go down as a rival to Abdi in the signing injured players category 

He was a gamble and no one knows if it’s going to pay off

but signing him has probably meant we did not sign a player for another position and then had to sign another centre half because he wasn’t fit 

and you talk about spaffing money 

It was a gamble signing - I assume the club were thinking longer term, which is odd as we essentially had this season to save our Championship status and the cash, as you say could have been targeted at more priority positions. I hope the deal reflected this and included a period of rehabilitation - i.e. % of salary until match fit. Knowing us, probably not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

OK - heres who left us this summer. Take the list and fill in the names of those who signed who improved our squad.

Morgan Fox - 

Kieran Lee -  

Sam Hutchinson -  

Sam Winnall - 

Atdhe Nuhiu - 

Fernando Forestieri -  

Steven Fletcher - 

The answer is none

8 minutes ago, cowl said:

The oddest thing about the Dunkley was signing was that he was the first signing of the summer we'd made, and a number of weeks before season even started, so it's not like it can even be said that he was a last moment panic buy.

Already deep into November now, more than a quarter of the league games played, will we even see him this year?

Monk said that he knew Dunkley wouldn't be fit to start the season, but I can only assume the lad's had a set-back or two along the way because if he knew he would be this long before he'd be fit, then there's no way on earth he should ever be in a position where he gets final say on picking players.

There have been a couple of folk on here who had the same injury as Dunkley hhad and said even after 18 months/2 years they still weren't right

Dunkley picked up his double broken leg in February so could be a while yet to see him (IF we see him)

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There have been a couple of folk on here who had the same injury as Dunkley hhad and said even after 18 months/2 years they still weren't right

Dunkley picked up his double broken leg in February so could be a while yet to see him (IF we see him)

Yeah but we didn’t pay 4m for him 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I can only assume there'd been sufficient reason to expect him to be fully fit and playing by now though.

Mental signing if not.

• Like 1

If we had replaced Fletcher with a player of similar calibre and a non-biscuitlike body, our problems would ne so much smaller. I think our problems lie mostly there; you have to score a goal to win games, own goals only help so much.

I can definitely understand why we didn't get any better players in, we simply do not have the financial capabilities, be it FFP or just DC's pockets getting emptier by the minute.

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I really don't understand why our recruitment team didn't read the name on the x-ray photos he sent via email.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Dunkley will prove a good signing for us. 

Wigan fans think he’s a league 1 player. When I’ve seen him, I’ve not been that impressed. Good in the air. When Dunkley broke his leg, Wigan went on a great run of form and nearly stayed up when given a 12 point deduction.

When he was in the team, they were in the bottom 3 all season. 

Just to add an alternative viewpoint we (fans) always look at these things through a fans lens.

We assume all players should want to stay and players who aren’t here would want to come here. 
But, we just aren’t that attractive a prospect (even more so at the start of the season).

-Financial problems/ mismanagement 

-Constant manager changes

-Points deduction

-Other good players leaving

-we injure players (I know we don’t deliberately but I bet we have that reputation across the game)

-we often get players in and then don’t play them

Sure other clubs have some of these problems but we not in good shape right now. Yes footballers are professionals and move for a wage but so am I. And I work places where I think I will enjoy it, not just the highest payer. 

looking at who left 

Morgan Fox - got dogs abuse here. Left as soon as he could 

Kieran Lee - injury had finished him off. Not even playing now. 

Sam Hutchinson - again, injured pretty much on an ongoing basis. Don’t blame him for wanting a bit of sun and easy money.

Sam Winnall - messed about by us something chronic. Never made an impact. Bad injury. Now in League One. 

Atdhe Nuhiu - He probably would have stayed but again, off for a bit of sun and some easy cash. Will have saved fortunes and looking forward to a nice retirement in Kosovo.

Fernando Forestieri -  mercenary player behaving to type. That said, I’d rather be playing in Serie A than the championship!

Steven Fletcher - genuinely good player. But at 33 who on earth can blame him for getting a big payout the end of a terrific career? I wish we had kept him, even if he only made half of our games, but he would have been a madman to stay!

anyway, recruiting is going to be hard while we are a crap place to come. At the moment the only thing that would get good player here is massive amounts of cash. Which is what got us into the mess in the first place!

as to the answer, well, probably we need to be somewhere players want to come. 

Without the money to do this it’s going to have be something in the clubs culture. We have to be somewhere Premier clubs want to send their young players, where players at 24 see us as a stepping stone to the prem (either by promotion or development and sale).

This is a hard transition to make. But, it can be done. Brentford are the example as a club everyone talks about. They are under-achieving right now but their stock as a club is high enough that they will probably upgrade manager soon. 

we haven’t done what anyone would consider an ‘upgrade’ of manager or player for quite a while. 

Change is the only way to get better outcomes!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Id have kept Nuhiu and Lee - and Hutchinson.

Hutchinson would have been the perfect back up this season and could have covered at both Centre Half and in midfield.  If Luongo continues to be fit in sporadic phases Hutch would have been the perfect squad player. It might have helped him stay fit too

And I would have definitely pulled out all the stops to keep Fox and Fletcher - rather than offering them insulting 70% reductions on their salaries

On your tombstone ... In hindsight 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

In an ideal world, yes.

Unfortunately, cost-cutting, rather than adding quality, was our primary driver during the summer transfer window.

Wednesday are a bit like a middle-aged bloke who'd just been given a promotion at work, bought a big four-bedroom semi in a leafy suburb, and splurged on a brand new sports car.

Now his wife's left him and he's been made redundant, he's had to sell the car and downsize to a two-bedroom flat in a seedy part of town, and is desperately hanging around bars in the early hours of the morning hoping to find any old skank who'll give him a shag.

That's Wednesday in 2020.

That's where we are.

:duntmatter:

I wasn't think that when I posted it

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I had a similar injury after a Skiing accident in 2004 i not been able to ski since