Team for Swansea

I assume that 16 minutes wasn’t long enough to make Pulis tear up his 4411. 

Therefore, assuming he uses the same set-up, what would you pick?

Keeper - he won’t drop Westwood.

Defence - The strongest part of the side yesterday. JVA looked iffy but as a back-four it definitely worked very well.

Midfield - similarly, it did ok. Arguably better than ok outnumbered. Against 11 men it didn’t let much get through, and actually earned the same number of corners (6) as Preston.

Attack - only Rhodes, Kachunga and Paterson left. I wonder if he might take another look at Paterson behind a lone striker?

I think he’ll go:-

Westwood

Palmer Lees Borner Van Aken

Odubajo Luongo Bannan Reach

Paterson

Rhodes

In the absence of Harris, Windass and Iorfa, I’m not sure we’ve anything better than that.

• Like 2

Like you say we never really saw much yesterday after Windass stupidity spoilt it

I'd drop Westwood and put Wildsmith back in - only fair given the howler

Up front is irrelevant until we start getting the ball to them so I don't care who plays up front anymore until that's done

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Thought we looked more organised yesterday. Preston caused little threat despite the man advantage. 

Didn’t think yesterday was a horrendous performance. Reach missed a sitter from a corner and I thought Odubajo HAS to do better from his chance. 

We need to find a way of posing a threat. Even if all players were fit or not suspended our attacking options are atrocious. The clubs recruitment on strikers was abysmal, I would be shocked if Pulis doesn’t bring 2 strikers into the club when he can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

Thought we looked more organised yesterday. Preston caused little threat despite the man advantage. 

Didn’t think yesterday was a horrendous performance. Reach missed a sitter from a corner and I thought Odubajo HAS to do better from his chance. 

We need to find a way of posing a threat. Even if all players were fit or not suspended our attacking options are atrocious. The clubs recruitment on strikers was abysmal, I would be shocked if Pulis doesn’t bring 2 strikers into the club when he can. 

You thought Reach’s chance was a sitter?

A split second after going over Paterson’s head by an inch, at a tight angle, on the half-volley from a long corner?

Are you Marco Van Basten?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You thought Reach’s chance was a sitter?

A split second after going over Paterson’s head by an inch, at a tight angle, on the half-volley from a long corner?

Are you Marco Van Basten?

I would say so. 

He’s 4 yards out and unmarked. Wouldn’t say it’s a tight angle either, it’s well within the 6 yard box.

Had it gone in, I doubt a back post tap in would have been compared to Van Basten’s volley.

FFE299EC-E80E-40A6-92FE-9C27F26BBCF8.png

09CE4BA5-8910-4906-BCF3-7FD6432E8759.png

• Like 5

Westwood

Palmer Lees Borner Penney

Brown Luongo Bannan

Paterson Rhodes Reach

Not ideal putting Paterson on the right of a front 3 but what's the alternative? Odubajo? 

There are certain players that should be no where near the first 11, unfortunately injuries and suspension means they have to be.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Willow Owl
41 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Defence - The strongest part of the side yesterday. JVA looked iffy but as a back-four it definitely worked very well.

Midfield - similarly, it did ok. Arguably better than ok outnumbered. Against 11 men it didn’t let much get through, and actually earned the same number of corners (6) as Preston.

Attack - only Rhodes, Kachunga and Paterson left. I wonder if he might take another look at Paterson behind a lone striker?

Westwood

Paterson

Rhodes

In the absence of Harris, Windass and Iorfa, I’m not sure we’ve anything better than that.

I’d bring in Wildsmith for Westwood ( should never have started ), and Brown for Patterson. Apart from that agree 

I think he'll stick with Paterson in the same role because I could see him sticking to a similar game plan.

As for up top though, you'd think Kachunga would be a closer fit to Windass than Rhodes.

I expect he'll stick with Westwood despite the mistake, since I imagine he's looking to establish whether he needs a new keeper in January, and he'll probably allow himself to consider the mitigating circumstances of Westwood having been out of the side for a year as a persuasive enough reason to stick with him for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Westwood

Paterson

Rhodes

Before Windass was sent off yesterday, we played 4-1-4-1. It was completely evident to me. Luongo was deep and Paterson was playing alongside Bannan. 

• Thanks 1

This is the team he will play on Wednesday;

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Luongo

Harris

Joey

Bannan

Reach

Paterson 

Id play Brown but I think he will put another defensive player in there and he will go with Harris. Pulis won’t start Rhodes up front on his own. No chance. 

Wildsmith

Palmer     Lees     Börner     van Aken

Luongo     Bannan

Odubajo          Brown          Reach

Paterson

It does feel very much like shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic though, doesn't it?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Westwood

Palmer Lees Borner Penney

Brown Luongo Bannan

Paterson Rhodes Reach

Not ideal putting Paterson on the right of a front 3 but what's the alternative? Odubajo? 

There are certain players that should be no where near the first 11, unfortunately injuries and suspension means they have to be.

I can think of about 9...which ones do you have?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This is the team he will play on Wednesday;

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Luongo

Harris

Joey

Bannan

Reach

Paterson 

Id play Brown but I think he will put another defensive player in there and he will go with Harris. Pulis won’t start Rhodes up front on his own. No chance. 

Admire your certainty, but i 100% guarantee he won't 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Like you say we never really saw much yesterday after Windass stupidity spoilt it

I'd drop Westwood and put Wildsmith back in - only fair given the howler

Up front is irrelevant until we start getting the ball to them so I don't care who plays up front anymore until that's done

Do you think he would dare to drop Westwood. ?

Westwood

Palmer, Lees, Borner, Van Aken

Kachunga, Bannan, luongo, Reach

Patterson

Rhodes

• Thanks 1