Rhodes {altrenative thread}

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

The football has been shocking this season as it was for 6 months last season under Monk. I think Harry Kane would have looked poor playing for us during this period.

I think it is unfair to judge these new players while playing under Monk and I am prepared to give the new lads a chance under a different manager. It looks like you want to discard them already.

That makes it sound like Kachunga, Paterson and Windass were doing well at  Huddersfield, Cardiff and Wigan last season.

They really weren’t.

And no, of course I don’t want to discard them. They are our players, we can’t get rid, and I want them to do well.I just fail to see a better (less bad) pairing than one with Rhodes in it. 

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well you’re including managers who either aren’t Wednesday managers (Farke) or managers who only had a few games (Bullen, Pulis) then stating he wasn’t their first choice. Might as well include Bruce as well and say he wasn’t his first pick in a pre season friendly or something 

The guys only had 3 full time Wednesday managers.. two of which were dreadful. They’re facts 

Ok I submit, we can only judge Rhodes performances under Carlos.

If My memory is correct he was quickly dropped under Carlos.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Rhodes has had 3 managers here and two of them were widely regarded as completely useless.

He has loads of weaknesses but it’s a fresh manager and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get something out of him, let’s see. Nothing to lose when the others are equally useless 

Jos was ok when he first came and settled down the defence,monk has never been regarded as 'widely useless' by his peers,nor much of the fan base of clubs he has managed....and even on here people are starting to realize the depth of the job he had to contend with (eventually)

Dont bother trotting out 'statistics' to support your views,they dont change,you dont however look past them to look for the reason WHY...

20 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Ok I submit, we can only judge Rhodes performances under Carlos.

If My memory is correct he was quickly dropped under Carlos.

And Jos. And Farke. Not overly used when at Boro either. 
Although many will state it was the managers fault. 

I work with a Huddersfield fan, who was at Hillsboro on that famous night. He recalls that the Town fans were delighted when Fletcher was subbed for Rhodes “we knew he couldn’t hurt us”.

How many opposing fans have thought that in the last few years. Although I concede he caught Forest fans unawares .

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

Jos was ok when he first came and settled down the defence,monk has never been regarded as 'widely useless' by his peers,nor much of the fan base of clubs he has managed....and even on here people are starting to realize the depth of the job he had to contend with (eventually)

Dont bother trotting out 'statistics' to support your views,they dont change,you dont however look past them to look for the reason WHY...

It looks like Pulis didn’t fancy him for yesterday’s game. Quiet happily bring back a keeper from the cold, but not Rhodes. 
Most of our games now will be attritional. The modern striker is expected to track back. Rhodes attributes don’t suit what we or most clubs need.

For his and the clubs sake, I’m sure it will be a relief when his contract expires.

• Thanks 1

Some really negative comments on here regarding Jordan give your heads a wobble! He's lacked proper game time and service infect he's had zero service we haven't had anything on the wing or in midfield that can cross a good ball in for some time now relying on Bannan isn't the answer he's been good but nothing prolific now a Ross Wallace type on the wing and a stronger Kieran Lee in midfield is what's needed IMO and down decent pace! Jordan needs a regular starting slot of 90minutes he still has a point to prove I believe he's still got it just lacking confidence and a bit fed up of 20minutes here and there currently there isn't anyone better in our squad he starts every time the goals will come!!!

Edited by Frank_Lucas
  • Like 1

Another problem with Rhodes is that I don't think he can play as the lone striker in a 4-5-1. He isn't mobile enough or capable of holding the ball up. He might be good if the ball breaks to him in the box, but it will never get in the box if we don't have a forward capable of linking play.

So we would have to play 4-4-2 to fit him in the team. So the Rhodes fans complaining about the thought of playing Kachunga, Paterson, etc... you would have to pick one of them just to fit Rhodes in the team. And, at the same time weaken the midfield to do it.

People go on about Patterson leading the line and playing up front but to be quite frank, apart from his headed goal he's been absolutely diabolical up top

The guys not even a striker, more industrious in midfield .. why we persist with him up top I'll never know

For me, its gotta be Windass and Rhodes up top, or Rhodes and Kachunga.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Another problem with Rhodes is that I don't think he can play as the lone striker in a 4-5-1. He isn't mobile enough or capable of holding the ball up. He might be good if the ball breaks to him in the box, but it will never get in the box if we don't have a forward capable of linking play.

So we would have to play 4-4-2 to fit him in the team. So the Rhodes fans complaining about the thought of playing Kachunga, Paterson, etc... you would have to pick one of them just to fit Rhodes in the team. And, at the same time weaken the midfield to do it.

Who would you want up top in our 451? 

Kachunga or Paterson?