Rhodes {altrenative thread}

Just now, Devonstrix said:

Understand all that,  but it nobody else is scoring goals and he’s got a goal poacher sat on the bench. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t pick him for Swansea unless he’s simply thinking of going there to get a 0-0. TP  can’t really lose by giving him a run of games. The alternatives have proved they aren’t up to it anyway. 

Thats just it,he hasnt got a 'goal poacher' sat on the bench,he hasn't been that for many years,and even when he was,he still needed the service,as i have said,it doesn't look to me playing 5 across the midfield and 4 at the back,we will get little if anything from free play.....

thus i feel from limited choices,Pulis will play a lone striker up front...Will it be JR  ?

We will soon know?

6 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Understand all that,  but if nobody else is scoring goals and he’s got a goal poacher sat on the bench. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t pick him for Swansea unless he’s simply thinking of going there to get a 0-0. TP  can’t really lose by giving him a run of games. The alternatives have proved they aren’t up to it anyway. 

He has,because defending starts in the opponents final third....the more time we keep the ball there(yes it is that bad!) the less we will have to worry about one of our defenders giving away free kicks (or worse)

Lets try for starters keeping 11 men on the field for 90 minutes,that would give us a chance,and i think TP will set up for a 0-0 draw next match,with maybe a chance of nicking a goal from any carelessness  late on.

If that works,we will get more of the same through Nov/Dec  4 points in this period  would be 'a result' based on current low expectations...

3 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Not quite as simple as one or the other

I would rather play Patterson than Rhodes to lead the line as I think he is stronger, more physical and more movement.

Not seen a lot of Kachunga and I have not been impressed but it is very early days for him and I am happy to give him a chance.

I have seen a lot of Rhodes and have formed an opinion that he isn't not good enough.

I think the best move at the moment with the players we have is to go 451, with the only player we have who can play the role Up top Patterson.

5 across midfield with the remit of getting forward and ahead of Patterson.

Of the available line up,I agree

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Disagree.

Movement and running are very different things

I think I know the difference between movement and running thanks.

You  must be seeing something different to what 6 managers and most Wednesday fans are seeing.

His movement is awful, he stands behind defenders hoping for a slip up, he makes nothing happen because he has no pace, power or physicality.

I am amazed you are writing off and not giving a chance to players who who have only been here 5 minutes playing in an terrible setup, but want to overlook the poor performances that Rhodes has served up over the last 3.5 years.

I think you are a bit obsessive re Rhodes and it Is clouding your judgement. Some of the stuff you are writing about Paterson,  Windass and Kachunga while blowing Rhodes trumpet looks like hypocrisy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I would give Rhodes one more shot, next to the kid Hagan. Tell Hagan to run himself silly for an hour , leave it all out there, chase everything and create space, and Rhodes to goal hang. Drag him off spent after an hour and stick someone else on to hold it up there.

if that doesn’t work, then give up as we have tried everything else. 

Have you actually watched Hagan?

Monk wouldn't play Rhodes because his game plan was to have a high press with forwards chasing around their back 4 trying to win the ball high up the pitch. This isn't something Rhodes can do - he just doesn't have the pace. (That's why Monk was happy to let Nuhiu leave too - not mobile enough to chase down defenders).

But now we have Pulis. Pulis seems uninterested in a high press. That takes away one reason for not playing him.

I'm no fan of JR but given that the alternative is Kachunga (assuming Paterson supports from midfield as he's 'one of the most dangerous in the league') what do we have to lose?

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

You  must be seeing something different to what 6 managers and most Wednesday fans are seeing.

His movement is awful, he stands behind defenders hoping for a slip up, he makes nothing happen because he has no pace, power or physicality.

I am amazed you are writing off and not giving a chance to players who who have only been here 5 minutes playing in an terrible setup, but want to overlook the poor performances that Rhodes has served up over the last 3.5 years.

I think you are a bit obsessive re Rhodes and it Is clouding your judgement. Some of the stuff you are writing about Paterson,  Windass and Kachunga while blowing Rhodes trumpet looks like hypocrisy.

Rhodes has had 3 managers here and two of them were widely regarded as completely useless.

He has loads of weaknesses but it’s a fresh manager and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get something out of him, let’s see. Nothing to lose when the others are equally useless 

His movement is the best at the club by a country mile.

• Like 1

It’s not 5 minutes. That’s why it’s frustrating many of us.

I posted after a couple of games that we couldn’t afford to still be searching for the right front two (or one) after 8 games. We are playing game 13 on Wednesday and we haven’t a clue about who to play up top. Three goals from strikers all season, two of which were in the first 45 minutes. Dire.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Rhodes has had 3 managers here and two of them were widely regarded as completely useless.

He has loads of weaknesses but it’s a fresh manager and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get something out of him, let’s see. Nothing to lose when the others are equally useless 

Seeing as you are quoting me I suppose I should respond.

Rhodes has had 5 managers and one at Norwich while he has been here, that equals 6.

Carlos, Jos, Bullen, Monk and now Pulis plus Farke at Norwich. Not first choice for any of them.

Early days for Pulis but something must have influenced his team selection.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Seeing as you are quoting me I suppose I should respond.

Rhodes has had 5 managers and one at Norwich while he has been here, that equals 6.

Carlos, Jos, Bullen, Monk and now Pulis plus Farke at Norwich. Not first choice for any of them.

Early days for Pulis but something must have influenced his team selection.

Well Bullen was only caretaker and for a few games and Pulis has had one game. Don’t particularly care about Norwich but Pukki was ahead in the pecking order and got nearly 30 goals. So it’s only 3 managers of any significance, two of which were beyond useless for us, and the other had 7 strikers to choose from. 

New manager new start. The other options are a player the new manager described as not a forward, a player who has gone back to his parent club with a long term injury, a player who’s never scored goals anywhere in Kachunga and a player who kicked someone in the shoulder after 15 minutes of the new managers first game. So whether we like it or not Rhodes is going to be first choice at least until January 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

It’s not 5 minutes. That’s why it’s frustrating many of us.

I posted after a couple of games that we couldn’t afford to still be searching for the right front two (or one) after 8 games. We are playing game 13 on Wednesday and we haven’t a clue about who to play up top. Three goals from strikers all season, two of which were in the first 45 minutes. Dire.

The football has been shocking this season as it was for 6 months last season under Monk. I think Harry Kane would have looked poor playing for us during this period.

I think it is unfair to judge these new players while playing under Monk and I am prepared to give the new lads a chance under a different manager. It looks like you want to discard them already.

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well Bullen was only caretaker and for a few games and Pulis has had one game. Don’t particularly care about Norwich but Pukki was ahead in the pecking order and got nearly 30 goals. So it’s only 3 managers of any significance, two of which were beyond useless for us, and the other had 7 strikers to choose from. 

New manager new start. The other options are a player the new manager described as not a forward, a player who has gone back to his parent club with a long term injury, a player who’s never scored goals anywhere in Kachunga and a player who kicked someone in the shoulder after 15 minutes of the new managers first game. So whether we like it or not Rhodes is going to be first choice at least until January 

Oh I see I was stating facts and you are cherry picking which managers you want to include.

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Oh I see I was stating facts and you are cherry picking which managers you want to include.

Well you’re including managers who either aren’t Wednesday managers (Farke) or managers who only had a few games (Bullen, Pulis) then stating he wasn’t their first choice. Might as well include Bruce as well and say he wasn’t his first pick in a pre season friendly or something 

The guys only had 3 full time Wednesday managers.. two of which were dreadful. They’re facts 

20 hours ago, OwlsAce said:

This thread is not a reflection of Jordan's cameo role today but to all those people saying ,if he gets the service or a run of games or play to his strengths he will score goals . Sorry but he's had his chance ,he's not the same player I saw put 4 past us for Huddersfield. The guy has no strengths he can't hold the ball up ,he's painfully slow ,his shooting is weak and he cant head the ball . Please no more "give him a chance"

Nailed on for Centre half next game then!