Rhodes {altrenative thread}

3 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

The problem with Rhodes is that his allround contribution to the team is negligible, he can't hold the ball up and he can't stretch a defence, he has no pace and no strength. Unless he is scoring he brings nothing else to the table.

In a team that is getting loads of balls into the box you may be able to find a place in the team for him, but we don't and we can't afford to carry a player like him. Even then I think his reactions have slowed down since his Huddersfield days and he is not the poacher he once was.

6 managers who see him every day can see this, they can't all have an adgenda against him..

Nice bloke but not good enough.

Would you leave him out for the next 3 and play Paterson and Kachunga?

Not quite as simple as one or the other

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I would rather play Patterson than Rhodes to lead the line as I think he is stronger, more physical and more movement.

Not seen a lot of Kachunga and I have not been impressed but it is very early days for him and I am happy to give him a chance.

I have seen a lot of Rhodes and have formed an opinion that he isn't not good enough.

I think the best move at the moment with the players we have is to go 451, with the only player we have who can play the role Up top Patterson.

5 across midfield with the remit of getting forward and ahead of Patterson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One way or another we just need to find a formula that works well enough.

At least while January anyway, when we should hopefully be able to give ourselves more options.

What players have or haven't done over the previous seasons isn't particularly important right now when you're looking for reasons to try this formula or that formula. The fact that we don't have any kind of formula at all is enough reason for why we must keep trying different things.

At some point, and maybe even on Wednesday, he'll give a start to Rhodes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Yet in terms of minutes played for us it all adds up to roughly a goal every other game.

He needs a long run of games before I agree with you.

Windass suspension may see him get a couple,however can you not see he will not be re contracted? wouldnt stay anyway if relegated? & to me thats a bad combination to 'motivate' a footballer......

To make him first choice strker,would mean TP (logically) would have to set up a team to JR 'strengths .....Reach & Bannan both allegedly off the boil,& odubajo poor too in my view,where would the quality 'balls into the box' come from? Bannans corners?....

NO he isnt the solution,in my view he is part of the problem(the bigger one...WHO  said we needed him?) in the first place?'

6 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Not quite as simple as one or the other

I would rather play Patterson than Rhodes to lead the line as I think he is stronger, more physical and more movement.

Not seen a lot of Kachunga and I have not been impressed but it is very early days for him and I am happy to give him a chance.

I have seen a lot of Rhodes and have formed an opinion that he isn't not good enough.

I think the best move at the moment with the players we have is to go 451, with the only player we have who can play the role Up top Patterson.

5 across midfield with the remit of getting forward and ahead of Patterson.

Interesting you think that. I don’t see Paterson win many headers and his movement isn’t a patch on Rhodes.

My issue with Rhodes over his time with us is his goals record. It was nowhere near good enough to get past Fletcher, Hooper, Joao or even Nuhiu. But now he’s competing with Kachunga and Paterson he’s a must imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting you think that. I don’t see Paterson win many headers and his movement isn’t a patch on Rhodes.

My issue with Rhodes over his time with us is his goals record. It was nowhere near good enough to get past Fletcher, Hooper, Joao or even Nuhiu. But now he’s competing with Kachunga and Paterson he’s a must imo.

Rhodes has been here 4 years and I am yet to see the movement you are talking about. He

moves like an old man and must be so easy to play against.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Rhodes has been here 4 years and I am yet to see the movement you are talking about. He

moves like an old man and must be so easy to play against.

Disagree.

Movement and running are very different things.

He can’t have completely lost his touch as many have said, or his ability to find space in the box because he did it three times against Forest less than a year ago. The problem is, he never gets a run in the side and the chances created are minimal anyway. 

I was surprised he didn’t start yesterday and will be even more so if he doesn’t start against Swansea. FFS TP, tell him he’s playing at least the next three and let’s see how he does. He can’t be any worse than the rest and he might just surprise us. We hear he does it in training so build his confidence back up and give him a go. What have we got to lose?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Yes,with them TP might be able to conjure up something....JR is too big a gamble to play.if we lose our next 3 matches its giving us a massive mountain to climb again,with players in my view,without the stomach for it.

Rhodes wont be re contracted,and wouldn't stay any way if we were relegated,he has been overlooked now by every manager here,including TP....

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Yes,with them TP might be able to conjure up something....JR is too big a gamble to play.if we lose our next 3 matches its giving us a massive mountain to climb again,with players in my view,without the stomach for it.

Rhodes wont be re contracted,and wouldn't stay any way if we were relegated,he has been overlooked now by every manager here,including TP....

I’m not remotely interested in January. I’m very interested in the next 11 games before the window though.

So you think Rhodes is a gamble?

Kachunga - 0 goals this season. 
Paterson - 1 goal this season.

Edited by Holmowl

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

The problem with Rhodes is that his allround contribution to the team is negligible, he can't hold the ball up and he can't stretch a defence, he has no pace and no strength. Unless he is scoring he brings nothing else to the table.

In a team that is getting loads of balls into the box you may be able to find a place in the team for him, but we don't and we can't afford to carry a player like him. Even then I think his reactions have slowed down since his Huddersfield days and he is not the poacher he once was.

6 managers who see him every day can see this, they can't all have an adgenda against him..

Nice bloke but not good enough.

So why on earth did we buy him,and for such a huge  fee?....MMmmmm   

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I’m not remotely interested in January. I’m very interested in the next 11 games before the window though.

So you think Rhodes is a gamble?

Kachunga - 0 goals this season. 
Paterson - 1 goal this season.

I know,changes nothing....amazes me that people think JR is the answer,none NONE of the managers at S6 agree with you, what does that tell you?  It would be meaningless to select him,because of 4 things

(1) TP would have to set up the team to play direct,attacking % game football bypassing midfield with quick wingers and multiple (quality)balls int the box

(2) he has already said he wants to involve Bannan & Reach more....implying in my view the balls going to stop on the ground

(3) Where are the 'quality' balls into the box going to come from????  Banans corners? Reach? Odubajo?..

(4) Who will support JR Patterson?..

Admittedly we have few options,who would be TP now? or indeed monk before him?...

I would myself play Paterson as lone striker whilst Windass is injured, 4 at the back, 5 in midfield,& that is how i expect Pulis to shape up.

At least with this option we can be tight(er) at the back with plenty of bodys,and look to nick something through a set piece,corner,or penalty.

I dont forsee any goals coming through free play.

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, parajack said:

It’s a bit much to say TP has overlooked him Para. You’ll be able to justifiably say that if he barely gets a sniff between now and Christmas, but after one game I don’t think so. I can’t imagine there hasn’t been a conversation between DC and TP along the lines of I need a return on my £8m striker. See what you can do about it Pulis. 

14 minutes ago, parajack said:

I know,changes nothing....amazes me that people think JR is the answer,none NONE of the managers at S6 agree with you, what does that tell you?  It would be meaningless to select him,because of 4 things

(1) TP would have to set up the team to play direct,attacking % game football bypassing midfield with quick wingers and multiple (quality)balls int the box

(2) he has already said he wants to involve Bannan & Reach more....implying in my view the balls going to stop on the ground

(3) Where are the 'quality' balls into the box going to come from????  Banans corners? Reach? Odubajo?..

(4) Who will support JR Patterson?..

Admittedly we have few options,who would be TP now? or indeed monk before him?...

I would myself play Paterson as lone striker whilst Windass is injured, 4 at the back, 5 in midfield,& that is how i expect Pulis to shape up.

At least with this option we can be tight(er) at the back with plenty of bodys,and look to nick something through a set piece,corner,or penalty.

I dont forsee any goals coming through free play.

I suppose showing you the reality, which is that our results with Rhodes playing are really good, would fall on deaf ears.

1 minute ago, Devonstrix said:

It’s a bit much to say TP has overlooked him Para. You’ll be able to justifiably say that if he barely gets a sniff between now and Christmas, but after one game I don’t think so. I can’t imagine there hasn’t been a conversation between DC and TP along the lines of I need a return on my £8m striker. See what you can do about it Pulis. 

TP came in with the mantra of a 'clean sheet' had no bones dropping Wildsmith, and reinstating WW & in my view,had he any faith in JR why wouldnt he had made a statement and done the same?...

Ask yourself a Q here, we are in the mire,need players with the mental toughness to be able to play & keep going even when things are bang against us.

Is JR that player? what has he done so far in 4 years to show that? have you forgotten that when it mattered,he wouldn't take a penalty?

Yes that was one snapshot in time.....if TP played JR now and it didnt work out, that might be it,no way back....

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I suppose showing you the reality, which is that our results with Rhodes playing are really good, would fall on deaf ears.

No it wouldnt,because the stats are meaningless.......none of our forwards are scoring,because we simply dont create enough goal scoring chances, deaf ears? you really think this squad & team are 'really good'?.....irrespective of who's playing?....or managing for that matter?...well one of us isnt seeing thats for sure...

Before yesterday the JR 'fan club' element on here,were full of how JR would now be reinstated to the team,and theorizing how TP would set up his team,and his tactics to make the most of JR 'strengths'....

I disagreed and said that he would most likely choose Windass with JR coming off the bench,as an 'impact player'...

Well we never got to see how Windass playing up front panned out,because of yet another alleged silly 'mistake' & Rhodes impact was as usual,negligible.

He isnt suited to that role,though Dave clearly was, and i dont judge him on the few minutes game time he currently gets.

I still wouldnt pick him,hope ime wrong and he gets on and plays a blinder

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

TP came in with the mantra of a 'clean sheet' had no bones dropping Wildsmith, and reinstating WW & in my view,had he any faith in JR why wouldnt he had made a statement and done the same?...

Ask yourself a Q here, we are in the mire,need players with the mental toughness to be able to play & keep going even when things are bang against us.

Is JR that player? what has he done so far in 4 years to show that? have you forgotten that when it mattered,he wouldn't take a penalty?

Yes that was one snapshot in time.....if TP played JR now and it didnt work out, that might be it,no way back....

Understand all that,  but if nobody else is scoring goals and he’s got a goal poacher sat on the bench. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t pick him for Swansea unless he’s simply thinking of going there to get a 0-0. TP  can’t really lose by giving him a run of games. The alternatives have proved they aren’t up to it anyway. 

Edited by Devonstrix