Free transfer market.

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

27k per week is about 1.3m per year which would help entice a complete generation of talent if we spent that in the academy, especially youth scouting

Palmer, Wood, Beevers, Spurr and the two keepers we have now. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any other players in the last 20 years that have played consistent championship football through from our youth?

The likes of Brunt and Whelan came to us after finishing at other academies I believe.

21 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Palmer, Wood, Beevers, Spurr and the two keepers we have now. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any other players in the last 20 years that have played consistent championship football through from our youth?

The likes of Brunt and Whelan came to us after finishing at other academies I believe.

So are you in agreement? The academy needs funding

26 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Just out of interest does anyone have any idea what kind of numbers of our academy players make it into anyone else’s teams? 
Obviously not many make it into our team but just wondered if there is evidence that the youth development isn’t working at all at any level or if it’s just that we don’t give them a chance. 
I am passionate about giving local youngsters the best start we can and think we should put money in the academy. But if the current set up doesn’t produce any players that make it anywhere we need to change it I guess. 
If these lads aren’t going to make it as footballers then actually keeping them at an academy possibly disadvantages them in life. 
Vardy is of course one name. 

22 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

So are you in agreement? The academy needs funding

I’m not sure if just funding is needed or a complete overhaul. The amount of first team players we get through it is pitiful. 

I know it’s a numbers game and a lot of youngsters do tend to drift away and down the leagues but our record seems to be worse than most.

20 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Jackson Irvine can go f*** himself.

He didn’t want to sign for us when we had a 12 point deduction so let him stay unemployed.

There's nothing to suggest he'd be more interested in signing for us now.

• Like 1