The Josh Windass red card and sending off

11 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Oh come on, think for yourself.  How any player in the modern game can make a challenge like that and expect to stay on the pitch is totally beyond me.  We’re all guilty of a little Wednesday bias from time to time, but surely most people can’t have any complaints about that - reaction of our own players suggested they weren’t overly surprised either.

I will say again, in the context of the passage of play, it was cumbersome and awkward. He should have headed it. However, it was not a sending off.

Obviously, I cannot argue that his foot was high and it was stupid of him. Needless. But, the referee has to interpret the situation and make a subjective decision and I am clear it wasn’t a red.  If it was so clear cut, why didn’t the ref give a pen or send of VA? 

It was a yellow and a free kick. Everyone would have cracked on and not batted an eyelid. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

I will say again, in the context of the passage of play, it was cumbersome and awkward. He should have headed it. However, it was not a sending off.

Obviously, I cannot argue that his foot was high and it was stupid of him. Needless. But, the referee has to interpret the situation and make a subjective decision and I am clear it wasn’t a red.  If it was so clear cut, why didn’t the ref give a pen or send of VA? 

It was a yellow and a free kick. Everyone would have cracked on and not batted an eyelid. 

Fair enough, you sound convinced - still can’t see it myself.  For what it’s worth I thought van Aken was a little lucky to avoid a red card as well.

2 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Fair enough, you sound convinced - still can’t see it myself.  For what it’s worth I thought van Aken was a little lucky to avoid a red card as well.

Their forward miscontrolled it thankfully, it was already in Westwood’s hands by the time he hit the deck. BUT, as you say it could be said he was lucky, I think the ref correctly interpreted the situation IMO. As for the pen, it was 100% a pen. 

I think he got 2 of the big 3 decisions wrong. The one with the biggest impact was losing a man in the 17th minute. Our players are fragile enough and trying to play a new system, well fizz me. I do think Pulis will get results, but we need something to bounce our way for once.

Ball was in a position to head it or kick it. Windass had a spilt second to decide what to do. He went with his foot, realised it was to high, pulled out,  no one got hurt or injured.

slow motion always make it look worst. 

ref should have used his common sense here. 

yellow card. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

what a contrast. Johnson appeared to be standing up for Windass when the card came out.

Compare that with everyone's friend Pearson gobbing at the ref for the challenge late on.

Reporter on SSN Alan Mcanally(?) thought it was harsh should've been a yellow. Was listening on ifollow and switched to Preston commentary they also thought it was harsh.. For me, it was probably 60/40 a red.