Is Pulis heading out?

When i was playing for the school in the 60s, if the goalie kicked the ball out of his hands from the edge of his box, everybody would let it bounce before they played it.Thats how hard and heavy the balls were. I remember talking to Johnny Quinn a few years ago, and saying i'd scored a few goals from the edge of the box, every one all along the ground. I never saw anyone shoot over the bar from that range. Obviously the pros could but even so. 

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Great.

So we've employed a hoof ball manager that hoofs it out of play or straight to the opposition

*cancels todays IFollow stream*

The facts would seem to contradict this interpretation.

16 Championship sides played more long-balls than Pulis' 'Boro in his last season there. 

15 teams had a worse success rate with long-balls than them.

It would suggest they were far from the most direct side in the division that season, but they were pretty decent at it when they did go long, in comparison to the rest of the division, at least.

Guest Jack the Hat

Gary Lineker famously used to avoid heading the ball unless he was gonna score. Perhaps if he’d headed it a bit more it would have knocked some sense into him.

Guest Willow Owl
47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

On his own maybe - if it was an isolated thing

However look at the World Cup winning team of 1966 that he was a part of - and look how many have died from brain damage

Fair point,

it’s a difficult one but I think we need more research in the era’s after before changing one of the major things in the sport we love. It’s in danger of losing its identity.

Guest Jack the Hat

If heading is banned from football then surely boxing would have to be banned altogether.

if you play a contact sport there are risks which you evaluate whether to take or not. I still play and I still head the ball. That’s my choice. There are plenty of other sports out there these day where you don’t have to head a ball.

46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Great.

So we've employed a hoof ball manager that hoofs it out of play or straight to the opposition

*cancels todays IFollow stream*

In fairness, it’s highly unlikely our players will play a long ball low enough for anyone to head it anyway. 

2 hours ago, owls-swfc said:

There is obviously a link to dementia and heading a football (similar to what you might expect in boxing)... However, the players in the 50s and sixties were playing with totally different (bigger and heavier) balls, that got heavier throughout a match if saturated with rainwater..... Today's balls a smaller and lighter and don't absorb water... You would expect a lower risk of long term damage although still a risk of course. 

Would not want to get my head onto one of Bannan’s laser-precise Mach 10 delivered corners.

Guest Jack the Hat
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think that's an emotional blackmail comment that has no substance to it

It's meaningless

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Which proves heading in football is unneccesary

Totally disagree with both your comments. It’s a valid opinion not emotional blackmail. There are far more head injuries in Rugby which is why I prefer football. By your reckoning boxing and rugby should be banned completely. Whilst I acknowledge the sentiment I believe it a step too far. It’s becoming a non contact sport as it is and was clearly not intended to be. What evidence do we have on the impact of modern lighter football?  Not much I wager. If you are concerned about the effects of heading a ball then either don’t head it or don’t play football.

14 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

If heading is banned from football then surely boxing would have to be banned altogether.

if you play a contact sport there are risks which you evaluate whether to take or not. I still play and I still head the ball. That’s my choice. There are plenty of other sports out there these day where you don’t have to head a ball.

Boxing is a brutal Neanderthal sport that is almost unrivalled in its gratuitous violence from one human being into another. However, despite the numerous examples of long term brain damage in its participants it’s generally accepted that this is violence between two consenting adults.

Heading footballs, until this point, was not seen as a risk to its participants.