Is Pulis heading out?

2 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

What i am disputing is that heading leads to dementia.I am not saying it isn't a contributary cause, what i'm saying is that there are many more factors to take into account, not the least of which is following this website.👨‍🦼

But that would be pretty damning alone, and besides, this would only be as much as an investigation such as this would be expecting to unearth anyway.

If being a footballer correlates with a higher incidence of dementia in later age then that'll no doubt count as sufficient evidence for those tasked with making recommendations off the back of this investigation.

Ridiculous ideas, heading has been a part of the game for years, every job has hazards to them.

I'd 100% risk the "potential risks" of football for the life they live currently to risk getting a illness at 70/75+ years old that i might get anyway whether i head a ball or not.

baffling seeing comments about banning heading up to a certain age especially some recommending 16, imagine going into the men's game not knowing how to head properly.

find a different solution to the problem, younger ages use sponge balls etc. 

Football always seems to take the brunt of everything, You've got cage fighters and boxers etc hammering each other in the face but heading a football could lead to a illness.....

I can talk with a bit of personal experience here. 

I have played well over a thousand games over the years at centre back, from 12 years old to when I ‘ retired ‘ at 34.  In those 22 years I was knocked out 5 times, including once that caused a minor brain injury and put me in hospital for a week. All of those KO’s were challenging for headers and defending set plays. Combined with an unbelievable amount of heading, I worry about the future. For 10 years now ( early 40’ s now ) I get crushing headaches on and off, I have had scans etc and nothing showing but I guess my head didn’t take too kindly to what was dished out to it.

To me the head injuries you get in football challenging for headers are as bad as the heading. Another reason i would see it removed from the game. 

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If there was hundreds or thousands then they might have a case but it seems its only a handful out of the many thousands who play the game. 

If we go down this route then we wont be able to anything, ban goalposts as the goalkeeper could dive in to it. 

Just because you haven’t heard of them doesn’t mean there hasn’t been many thousands of cases, it just means you haven’t heard of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steveraper said:

Lighter yes, but moving at a much greater speed. The research suggests brain injury from light footballs pinged at a greater pace are just as damaging.

Imagine getting hit in the head by a object travelling at 70mph at least  a couple of times a day at work. Is anyone seriously suggesting that there is absolutely no way it could cause any long term damage whatsoever?

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree but by the same standard just because we have heard of a few we can't claim that there are loads. 

A report published in 2019 found that ex-professional footballers are three and a half times more likely than the general population to die of dementia.

Sir Bobby Charlton, 83, has also been diagnosed with dementia - making him the fifth member of England's World Cup-winning squad to have been diagnosed with a brain injury syndrome.

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's an interesting take.

When you say 'tactics such as those employed by Pulis', what do you mean, though?

His Middlesbrough side were 16th in the Championship for headers in 2017-18, and 13th in 2018-19.

They were also 21st for accurate long-balls and 17th for inaccurate long-balls in 2018-19 and 15th for accurate long-balls and 20th for inaccurate long-balls in 2018-19.

Neither of which suggest that he's the greatest proponent of aerial football this division has to offer.

Or it might suggest that other teams used that option more sparingly, but with greater precision. Liverpool for example use the tactic more than most, but it’s a more targeted ploy, rather than just putting it in the mix

Neuropathologist Dr Willie Stewart, who conducted the research commissioned by the PFA and the Football Association, said a "level of evidence" that links heading with dementia "beyond reasonable doubt" may not be possible because of how long symptoms take to develop.

"The risk is something you get in your 20s and the disease is in your 60s or 70s, so how to join these two is difficult," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"On the balance of probabilities, a different level of proof, there is more than enough evidence now to say that heading and head injuries are the problem.

"So we try to get rid of that as much as possible - get rid of it in training, it's not going to affect the game on the weekend."

Owlstalk Shop

Former England captain Wayne Rooney said "clearly something needs to change" to prevent the "next generation of players" dying of dementia.

Children aged 11 cannot be taught to head footballs during training in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Similar rules have been in force in the United States since 2015.

Rooney said he saw how children adapted to not being allowed to head the ball when he was playing in the US for DC United and went to watch his son Kai, 11, play.

"If the ball was coming to their head they moved away and let it run through so maybe that's something that could happen on a more regular basis over here," added Rooney, Derby County's interim manager.

Chelsea manager Frank Lampard also said football has to "act now to make sure we are not just sitting on the problem".

"I am fully backing any movement that looks further into it for players in the past, present and future," he added.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree but by the same standard just because we have heard of a few we can't claim that there are loads. 

So let’s err on the side of caution in that case, certainly when it comes to youth football, until there are findings that either prove or disprove the link. To rubbish it straight off and hold it as example of the game as we know it being lost smacks of putting tradition and entertainment ahead of people’s health.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

A report published in 2019 found that ex-professional footballers are three and a half times more likely than the general population to die of dementia.

Sir Bobby Charlton, 83, has also been diagnosed with dementia - making him the fifth member of England's World Cup-winning squad to have been diagnosed with a brain injury syndrome.

G Banks       Cancer
B Charlton    Dementia 
J Charlton    lymphoma and dementia 
B Moore       Cancer
A Ball            Heart Attack
R Wilson      Alzheimer's 
N Stiles        Long illness

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

G Banks       Cancer
B Charlton    Dementia 
J Charlton    lymphoma and dementia 
B Moore       Cancer
A Ball            Heart Attack
R Wilson      Alzheimer's 
N Stiles        Long illness

'Diagnosed'

Sorry to wee on your chips n that

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, gurujuan said:

Or it might suggest that other teams used that option more sparingly, but with greater precision. Liverpool for example use the tactic more than most, but it’s a more targeted ploy, rather than just putting it in the mix

I don't follow how it could suggest that?

14 Championship teams hit more accurate long-balls and 19 teams hit more inaccurate long-balls than Pulis' 'Boro in 18-19.

If most other teams were using the option more sparingly, then the vast majority of the division wouldn't be ahead of his team for the sheer number of long-balls played, would they?

Just now, Yellowbelly said:

So let’s err on the side of caution in that case, certainly when it comes to youth football, until there are findings that either prove or disprove the link. To rubbish it straight off and hold it as example of the game as we know it being lost smacks of putting tradition and entertainment ahead of people’s health.

Let err on the side of caution and ban loads of things... cycling.

Lets ban men and women cohabiting .... two a week die through domestic abuse

How often should we err on the side of caution?

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Let err on the side of caution and ban loads of things... cycling.

Lets ban men and women cohabiting .... two a week die through domestic abuse

How often should we err on the side of caution?

= "let the players keep on getting brain injuries and dying because I won't change my opinion on entertainment'

Might as well bring back Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson too

Owlstalk Shop