Is Pulis heading out?

Just now, @owlstalk said:

FFS

Yep not quite grasping that older players, in the olden days, heading old fashioned leather footballs did not get the effects of dementia until decades later.

Just now, Bluesteel said:

But if there is a happy medium which is safe do that. Whether that is changing the ball or doing it less intensively in training which is probably already the case.

If you get brain damage from running into walls head first you'd not just say 'well we should only start running headfirst into walls from the age of 18 upwards' or 'we should not run headfirst into a wall on Tuesdays'

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

If you get brain damage from running into walls head first you'd not just say 'well we should only start running headfirst into walls from the age of 18 upwards' or 'we should not run headfirst into a wall on Tuesdays'

Well they’re not running into walls. 

Just now, The Night-Owl said:

The only players I know of effected by it all retired years ago and played long before the game reverted to a less physical game and softer or less absorbent footballs. Where's the proof that the modern football effects players today in the same way? 

I give up

I can't be bothered to even try and explain to people who think that you immediately get brain damage and have to go off the pitch and straight to hospital after heading a ball 

FFS

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I never mentioned crash helmets, if they ban heading the outcry will bring down the government of the day, it will never happen .

Would you ban Rugby? 

I think if you invented rugby today it would not be permitted at school level.

One of my biggest reliefs was that my youngest never got into playing it.

Like the client who told me I should network at the rugby club to get ahead in business.

Err no its as dull as the people who watch it

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If heading's declining at the top of the game, might we see some managers returning to this style before too long, as fewer and fewer of their competitors are used to combating such tactics?

Most of the top teams have already countered this. The German’s realised this and added a more physical element to their pass and move style, a tactic now deployed by most sides Taller more athletic players are the norm right now, but it hasn’t resulted in more teams taking the aerial route. 
In the Premier League, players are taller than they ever were, with the odd exception. It’s not unusual to see centre backs of 6-4, 6-5 these days, when back in the day, a 6-2 centre half was a colossus Ditto midfielders, it’s not uncommon to have similarly sized midfielders All this means is that teams are better prepared to deal with an aerial attack, and because that way of thinking has now filtered down to the championship, tactics such as those employed by Pulis, will become more obsolete. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

No one is going to ban heading or reduce it, on my watch.  

If it's your watch right now and has been for the past 4 seasons you need sacking because you've done an atrocious job.

The number of headers per game has fallen off pretty much throughout all of football.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

No one is going to ban heading or reduce it, on my watch.  

I think that basically sums up this thread

Doesn't matter if people get brain damage, dementia, die etc so long as straight middle aged white men don't have something taken away from them 

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, owls-swfc said:

There is obviously a link to dementia and heading a football (similar to what you might expect in boxing)... However, the players in the 50s and sixties were playing with totally different (bigger and heavier) balls, that got heavier throughout a match if saturated with rainwater..... Today's balls a smaller and lighter and don't absorb water... You would expect a lower risk of long term damage although still a risk of course. 

Exactly what I was thinking, but I heard Martin keown saying that for the reasons you stated, balls are kicked a lot harder and so still has the same effect, giving the example of walking around in a daze in some matches ((got a few at Hillsborough suffering!)

I think Geoff Hurst could be on it by saying its the repetitive heading in training that causes the most damage 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

I think if you invented rugby today it would not be permitted at school level.

One of my biggest reliefs was that my youngest never got into playing it.

Like the client who told me I should network at the rugby club to get ahead in business.

Err no its as dull as the people who watch it

Yeah its boring , very boring and maybe you are right it wouldn't be allowed into schools nowadays, I can remember playing it and we kicked the crap out of the games teachers until they turned the table on us kicked the crap out of us.  It was fun  but never in the same league as playing football.

But humans are risk takers and young lads in particular love to test themselves physically if they can't do it in a controlled way at school they will only find an outlet outside of school in more riskier circumstances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

If it's your watch right now and has been for the past 4 seasons you need sacking because you've done an atrocious job.

The number of headers per game has fallen off pretty much throughout all of football.

Thats through the fashion/style of the game at the moment, it will come back into style in time.  I'm not resigning.