Is Pulis heading out?

1 minute ago, Rev Owl said:

It might be good to have a discussion about heading and brain damage but @Errol Flashman isn't wrong.

Just now, Errol Flashman said:

Aye.  Well, I can see there been plenty of balls headed in this thread.

To be fair it's me own fault for slipping into matchday. I know the score. 

It's a thread about brain damage caused by heading the ball

Read the thread ffs

You're being oversensitive

There's 4 pages in this thread and the most that Pulis has been mentioned is (ironically) by yourselves

Owlstalk Shop

Firstly, the weight of the ball at the start of a game HAS NOT ALTERED. Moern footballs at the start of every game still weigh the same as a new 'casey'. The difference is the composition. Modern footballs are made so that they do not absorb moisture as did the old leather 'casey', so in effect they should not be as weighty as the game progresses.

Secondly, at what age did Styles and Charlton die? Long after they stopped heading a football,I would warrant. How many people ie of dementia and what percentage of them never headed a football.

Surely if we are so  concerned about the link between hading a ball and dementia, the answer is simple. Don't ban heading, make headgear compulsory. We didn't ban motorcycling  because of the number of head injuries, we brought in crash helmets. We didn't ban F1 when 1 diver was killed when his car crashed, we made car bodies which could protect the driver.

I honestly think SW have always played too much in the air in recent times, but this is largely an inability to control balls with their feet.

It’s really satisfying seeing a good headed goal. The balls are quite light nowadays unlike the heavy ones that ex players used to train with. Players aren’t even allowed to make contact in a challenge any more.

This is football, not ballet or netball. 

The constant purist chat like the OP about how football should be just dilutes the game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

Aye yer right.

Just the fact his names int title and what have you

And the several references to his type of football being consigned to history 

I'm thick. I'll glady admit that. 

But I ain't that thick. 

I would say, his type of football, has been largely consigned to history. The thing with the link to Pulis was, with opinion now hardening against too much heading, will he feel the need to change tack, or tactics? Who knows, he’s been out of the game for a while, we may see a new Tony Pulis style, which embraces the pass and move game played by the rest of the world

Just now, Bluesteel said:

It’s really satisfying seeing a good headed goal. The balls are quite light nowadays unlike the heavy ones that ex players used to train with. Players aren’t even allowed to make contact in a challenge any more.

This is football, not ballet or netball.  

= "Keep dying and getting brain damage because I want to be entertained"

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Buxtongent said:

Firstly, the weight of the ball at the start of a game HAS NOT ALTERED. Moern footballs at the start of every game still weigh the same as a new 'casey'. The difference is the composition. Modern footballs are made so that they do not absorb moisture as did the old leather 'casey', so in effect they should not be as weighty as the game progresses.

Secondly, at what age did Styles and Charlton die? Long after they stopped heading a football,I would warrant. How many people ie of dementia and what percentage of them never headed a football.

Surely if we are so  concerned about the link between hading a ball and dementia, the answer is simple. Don't ban heading, make headgear compulsory. We didn't ban motorcycling  because of the number of head injuries, we brought in crash helmets. We didn't ban F1 when 1 diver was killed when his car crashed, we made car bodies which could protect the driver.

I honestly think SW have always played too much in the air in recent times, but this is largely an inability to control balls with their feet.

Well said that man.    👏🏾

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well it's been shown that it's the same with modern footballs

A few times in this thread already

Haven't read the whole thread but which modern players with the modern balls have been effected with dementia by heading the modern ball? Can see how it would effect the old fashioned players and can sympathise with them and their families, as they earned nowhere near as much as modern day footballers too. 

Guest hirstysfags
1 hour ago, mkowl said:

A chap I know is involved in futsal and that perhaps should be the way forward upto age 14 say. 

I must admit when my lad plays and heads it, not something I enjoy seeing

Same here. Mine plays for u11s and. I wince when one of them heads it hard.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

= "Keep dying and getting brain damage because I want to be entertained"

If there is a genuine issue despite the changes that have already been made to football and footballs and completely banning heading is the only way then do it. 

But if there is a happy medium which is safe do that. Whether that is changing the ball or doing it less intensively in training which is probably already the case.

But if it’s going to be used by football snobs because they don’t like the ball going in the air then it will take something away from the game.

• Thanks 1