Is Pulis heading out?

1 minute ago, cowl said:

I think it's inevitable that heading the ball will be phased out.

What the fans think about this will be ignored anyway, but since it's not their health possibly on the line, that's as it should be.

I expect it'll be a gradual phasing out rather than just an outright ban, and it'll begin within a season or two given that we're already at the stage of managers and players speaking up about their concerns.

Has it disappeared from the rest of the world, or was it never in their take on football in the first place? Genuine question. I’ve watched a lot of football in Spain, and I don’t recall heading being a major part of the game

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Has it disappeared from the rest of the world, or was it never in their take on football in the first place? Genuine question. I’ve watched a lot of football in Spain, and I don’t recall heading being a major part of the game

The stats above suggest La Liga does see fewer headers per game than the Prem over the last 4 seasons, but the difference isn't actually great—and in any case, La Liga actually had more headers per game than Prem games last season.

More interesting though is that you see more headers in football the lower down the league ladder you go.

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

The stats above suggest La Liga does see fewer headers per game than the Prem over the last 4 seasons, but the difference isn't actually great—and in any case, La Liga actually had more headers per game than Prem games last season.

More interesting though is that you see more headers in football the lower down the league ladder you go.

No that was my point, the Pulis style game has long since disappeared from the top two English divisions, bar the odd club, whereas in the lower divisions, it’s still rife. At the same time, Spain has adapted more to the physical side of things, to counter a similar move to the German teams. Having bigger taller players though, doesn’t necessarily mean that the ball will spend more time in the air It actually means that sides who persist in that, more limited way of playing, would have less joy

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But people are getting dementia from heading the ball - that's the problem

Is that mostly just from the old fashioned balls, when football was more physical and they played with a harder ball? Or does it still happen with the softer modern footballs?

The game wouldn't be the same without tackling or heading. Can understand changes to the kids game for children's safety but adults should be able to head and tackle.

The modern game isn't even as physical as it was back in the day, up until the late 90s, hopefully the old players and their families will be helped because they didn't earn nowhere near as much as they do nowadays. 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

A chap I know is involved in futsal and that perhaps should be the way forward upto age 14 say. 

I must admit when my lad plays and heads it, not something I enjoy seeing

My great nephew did a brilliant header from a throw in, into the feet of a team mate who slammed the ball in (Under 9)  Was dead proud of him and whilst a few players may suffer some long time damage its not going to be massive numbers.

Take heading and contact out of the game and we end up with another game.

Sport is really getting soft can  you imagine how the Romans would react to our complaints, 

Modern Player:  I got a bruise from a header 😞  

Roman:  I got my leg bit off by lion, but its just a scratch  🙂 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

'kin hell , thinly disguised  Pulis bashing thread.

Come on now... 

We have to be able to discuss things without everyone immediately jumping into threads saying it's 'bashing' or an 'agenda' is there etc

This thread is nothing to do with Pulis really

It's about the issues off brain damage caused by heading the ball which clearly is a problem

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

My great nephew did a brilliant header from a throw in, into the feet of a team mate who slammed the ball in (Under 9)  Was dead proud of him and whilst a few players may suffer some long time damage its not going to be massive numbers.

Take heading and contact out of the game and we end up with another game. 

So...

We keep headers because it'll only be a few people that get brain damager

We keep everything open and have christmas as normal because it'll only be a few people that die of Covid

etc etc

By the time we've kept everything that kills us it will have wiped out the whole planet ffs

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

No disguise, I’m openly anti Pulis, or should I say, the way his teams play Don’t enjoy watching it, and it’s not good for developing young players

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Come on now... 

We have to be able to discuss things without everyone immediately jumping into threads saying it's 'bashing' or an 'agenda' is there etc

This thread is nothing to do with Pulis really

It's about the issues off brain damage caused by heading the ball which clearly is a problem

Aye yer right.

Just the fact his names int title and what have you

And the several references to his type of football being consigned to history 

I'm thick. I'll glady admit that. 

But I ain't that thick. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

8 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Is that mostly just from the old fashioned balls, when football was more physical and they played with a harder ball? Or does it still happen with the softer modern footballs? 

Well it's been shown that it's the same with modern footballs

A few times in this thread already

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Errol Flashman said:

Aye yer right.

Just the fact his names int title and what have you

And the several references to his type of football being consigned to history 

I'm thick. I'll glady admit that. 

But I ain't that thick. 

You're being oversensitive

It's a thread about brain damage being caused by heading the ball - nothing else

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

So...

We keep headers because it'll only be a few people that get brain damager

We keep everything open and have christmas as normal because it'll only be a few people that die of Covid

etc etc

By the time we've kept everything that kills us it will have wiped out the whole planet ffs

OK let's stop crossing the road.

Let stop mountaineering

Stop scuba diving

Stop cricket

Stop driving

Wrap everything up in cotton wool

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No disguise, I’m openly anti Pulis, or should I say, the way his teams play Don’t enjoy watching it, and it’s not good for developing young players

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a thread about brain damage being caused by heading the ball - nothing else

It might be good to have a discussion about heading and brain damage but @Errol Flashman isn't wrong.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Aye.  Well, I can see there been plenty of balls headed in this thread.

To be fair it's me own fault for slipping into matchday. I know the score. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I was wondering, with more evidence suggesting that there is a link between regularly heading of a football, and dementia, will that be the final nail in the coffin for purveyors of hoof ball? The PFA are already proposing to limit heading practice in training, and ban it completely from certain age groups. In truth, it is only in the UK where this outdated way of playing still exists, and then pretty much consigned to the lower leagues. 
I don’t foresee a situation where heading will be completely outlawed, but can see a time where players won’t be encouraged to play that way, and purveyors of that style of football, like Pulis, will become redundant

Crikey, Pulis is having a bad week.

On Tuesday he bought a diesel car before finding it will be worth nowt.

On Friday he finds out that soon no bugger will be allowed to get their noggin on the aerial bombardment he planned.

Lets hope Saturday is a good day

2 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Yeah and before even his first game, despite himself saying he's willing to adapt and plays to a teams strengths. I didn't want Pulis to be honest based on reputation but I've warmed to him and at least willing to give him a chance. I think he's capable of adapting, surprising and proving his doubters wrong.