Is Pulis heading out?

I lived through the soggy ball with laces era - you broke your ankle trying to put a cross in and broke your neck trying to head it. 
I would genuinely be surprised if professionals starting after 1980 will have any after effects cos the plastic coated balls are like heading a balloon compared to the old days. I’d hate to see it disappear from the game  but no doubt it would make sense to ban it in kids football and introduce it at 16+

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Even those "dimpled" heavy things at schools in the 70's were too hard!

Yes, I remember those..... In winter when cold,, they went more rigid (no give in them), I bit like heading a large golfball..! 

If you got caught in the goolies with one on a cold day... You didn't get up very quickly and probably have to go off... 

I can still remember rest of team pi**ing themselves at the demise of the poor souls! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

There is obviously a link to dementia and heading a football (similar to what you might expect in boxing)... However, the players in the 50s and sixties were playing with totally different (bigger and heavier) balls, that got heavier throughout a match if saturated with rainwater..... Today's balls a smaller and lighter and don't absorb water... You would expect a lower risk of long term damage although still a risk of course. 

The bit about weight is actually incorrect. They have done studies and the speed the ball is hit at has far more of an effect. It's something like the weight of the ball doubles the kinetic energy whereas the speed increases the kinetic energy by 4 times. So effectively today's lighter balls could do more long term damage. Shearer did a documentary a couple of years ago and the short term effects were shocking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Without heading or contact, the game would become like basketball. Even the top teams still cross the ball and score with headers too. There are different ways to play and get results, it would be tedious and pointless, if every team played the same way and competitiveness was fully eliminated. 

But people are getting dementia from heading the ball - that's the problem

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

The bit about weight is actually incorrect. They have done studies and the speed the ball is hit at has far more of an effect. It's something like the weight of the ball doubles the kinetic energy whereas the speed increases the kinetic energy by 4 times. So effectively today's lighter balls could do more long term damage. Shearer did a documentary a couple of years ago and the short term effects were shocking.

That’s interesting

Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce says there is "genuine concern" about a possible link between heading in football and dementia.

The players' union, the Professional Footballers' Association, is creating a taskforce to further examine the issue of brain injury diseases in football.

The move follows the recent death of Nobby Stiles, and dementia diagnosis of Sir Bobby Charlton.

"If there is a link we have to find it quickly and a solution," said Bruce.

"The PFA must look into it. If there is a risk, and certainly evidence is pointing towards that, we have the ability to do something.

"Young kids - take away heading of the ball, it's an art itself, and a dying art, and I'm all for doing the research we can and doing something about it."

West Ham boss David Moyes is keen on players from his generation receiving regular checks so any diagnosis can be made as early as possible.

"I am concerned because I want to make sure going forward everything is going to be OK," said Moyes.

"If there was a way to be monitored or screened that would be really important. Everyone would see it as a good way to go forward."

On Thursday, West Brom boss Slaven Bilic said heading footballs in training should be stopped if it was proven to be linked to dementia.

World Cup winner Sir Geoff Hurst said heading in training was "probably more detrimental" to players than in games.

"What solution they are going to find, I don't know," said Bilic.

"If they find out through the research that heading the ball 10 times during training is going to cause you dementia, then let's stop it.

"For me, the great thing is they are talking about it and recognising it."

A report published in 2019 found that ex-professional footballers are three and a half times more likely than the general population to die of dementia.

The introduction of a taskforce comes amid criticism from the family of Hurst's 1966 World Cup-winning England team-mate Nobby Stiles.

Stiles' family said football needs to "address the scandal" of dementia in football.

The ex-Manchester United and England midfielder died in October, aged 78, after suffering from dementia and prostate cancer.

Sir Bobby Charlton, 83, has also been diagnosed with dementia - making him the fifth member of England's World Cup-winning squad to have been diagnosed with a brain injury syndrome.

Owlstalk Shop

Frank Lampard is considering restricting heading in training in light of growing concerns over the link between football and dementia.

The Chelsea manager revealed earlier this month that he fears the effects on his own long-term health following the number of cases of ex-players being diagnosed with the disease.

He is calling for reform at youth level – but says the dangers associated with heading the ball have also led him to review his own processes with Chelsea’s first team squad.

Lampard said: “I think we can work up the pyramid and we should. Already I’m certainly considering it in how we train here because of the seriousness of the issue.

Owlstalk Shop

I think most people of a certain age, in the UK, love to see a powerful headed goal. Elsewhere though, it’s not such a big thing. In the rest of Europe, and indeed, the World, football is played predominantly on the ground. Nowadays, thankfully, even over here, we are adopting a more controlled approach 

The majority of lads at my school were pretty much only interested in football, and would ruin any outside PE lesson which wasn't the 'beautiful' game.

Hockey was banned after it descended into a 50-man scrap with hockey sticks swinging here there and everywhere, resulting in one getting chucked through the window of a nearby classroom; rugby was tolerated for longer, but it always ended up with half the lads sitting on the sidelines for being too rough; then cricket was going okay until one of my mates defaulted to football settings and rose like a salmon to head clear a looping ball...I think the teachers were so sh* scared of one of us dying after he ended up in hospital, that they just let us play football with the odd bit of mixed rounders thrown in for the majority of Year 11. 

That was going swimmingly until the last fortnight, at which point the girls decided to start de-kegging all the lads as we tried to run past them. Once a lad took his revenge by lifting a girl's top over her head, we were back to football for the last week or so!

:duntmatter:

Next they will like ingrowing to nails to kicking the ball too much and ban kicking the ball.

each occupation has its hazards. I would say joining the Army could be detrimental to your life but people still join.

World is getting softer by the day.

Theres a reason the 1st world countries are getting a second wave of Covid. it's been sanitised to such an extent people immune system is weak and have not developed the capability to react quick enough.

Continue down the line of avoiding all risks and nobody will leave the safety of their own bubble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Kinetic Energy = 0.5 * m * v^2

So mass is still important, but it’s a constant. As velocity increases the KE increases rapidly. But the “velocity” of a glancing header is less than a full on header, as anyone that’s took one full in the face will know.

2 minutes ago, capetownowl said:

Next they will like ingrowing to nails to kicking the ball too much and ban kicking the ball.

each occupation has its hazards. I would say joining the Army could be detrimental to your life but people still join.

World is getting softer by the day.

Theres a reason the 1st world countries are getting a second wave of Covid. it's been sanitised to such an extent people immune system is weak and have not developed the capability to react quick enough.

Continue down the line of avoiding all risks and nobody will leave the safety of their own bubble.

I will be instructing my solicitors in preparation for the severe neck damage I am going to suffer while watching Wednesday under Pulis

• Haha 1

I think it's inevitable that heading the ball will be phased out.

What the fans think about this will be ignored anyway, but since it's not their health possibly on the line, that's as it should be.

I expect it'll be a gradual phasing out rather than just an outright ban, and it'll begin within a season or two given that we're already at the stage of managers and players speaking up about their concerns.

• Like 1