Is Pulis heading out?

Guest LondonOwl313
14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ultimately this thread can best be summarised by:

We might have a problem here with heading the ball as it could be giving humans brain injuries.
We should investigate and see if that's the case and if it is taking measures so that humans don't get brain injuries

Followed by straight white middle aged men crying  "NO WAY - We shouldn't change anything to stop humans getting brain injuries because that's how it's always been and I enjoy watching them do it"

How about the middle ground of that.. if there was a clear link then it categorically should be banned because people’s health comes first.

But comparing players from 60 years ago to now is comparing apples and oranges and you can’t ban something on that basis. They should be able to work out what the force was on contact with an old ball and a new one and that will show you the difference. Reason it causes brain injury is concussion.. nobody gets concussion heading a modern ball do they.. 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

How about the middle ground of that.. if there was a clear link then it categorically should be banned because people’s health comes first. 

Nobody (other than myself and one other) have said that though

Not once

Not even hinted at it

It's all been 'nobody's gonna change MY football' type posts

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

If they do go on to ban heading, boxing in its present form will be banned.

What's the survival rate for over 60's / 70's

Yeah.. and the boxers will want to ignore that and carry on as they take their chances. It’s a far more dangerous sport getting punched in the face by an 18 stone guy 

Survival rate is still well over 90% for older age groups. Think it’s still 80+% for over 80s men which is the highest risk category so it’s madness closing everything down 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah.. and the boxers will want to ignore that and carry on as they take their chances. It’s a far more dangerous sport getting punched in the face by an 18 stone guy 

Survival rate is still well over 90% for older age groups. Think it’s still 80+% for over 80s men which is the highest risk category so it’s madness closing everything down 

Has there been any research to suggest that it's dangerous and leads to brain injury (I don't know the answer - that's why I ask)

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Am willing to change my stance/opinion if i"m wrong 

Which part of it was inaccurate?

It’s not about right or wrong it’s about discrimination. If you can’t see that I’m wasting my time trying. 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Survival rate is still well over 90% for older age groups.

Not sure about that, isn't the 90% mixed in with them that never get it in the first place?

As for lockdown, every country in the world has some form of lockdown many more severe than ours, some in europe even have curfews in place.

My theory is they can't all be wrong.

9 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

It’s not about right or wrong it’s about discrimination. If you can’t see that I’m wasting my time trying. 

I’m not discriminating in any way shape or form - I’m describing (accurately) the reaction in this thread

If I am inaccurate then am (as always) happy to be corrected 

Owlstalk Shop

I can see heading been banned within 10 years, Yes part of the game but so were 2 footed tackles and thuggery not to mention, numerous injections dished out to players to get them through a game.

Seems to make sense to ban eventually the game will evolve just like it has since the old Sheffield rules of 150 years ago. It's called Football for a reason.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Has there been any research to suggest that it's dangerous and leads to brain injury (I don't know the answer - that's why I ask)

No but it’s not unknown for people to die in the ring.. can think of 2 or 3 examples of that or where they’ve been severely disabled from it. Not sure how prevalent dementia is in ex boxers but surely it’s worse than football because brain trauma is higher.. it’s the literal point of it as a knock out comes from the brain hitting the skull with force 

Thing with the dementia link is that it depends at what age you get it.. people live longer now and it’s probably a 1 in 3 or 4 kind of disease if everyone lives to 80+. The worst one is early onset where you get it in your 50s or 60s, which is what Jeff Astle died of

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

My great nephew did a brilliant header from a throw in, into the feet of a team mate who slammed the ball in (Under 9)  Was dead proud of him and whilst a few players may suffer some long time damage its not going to be massive numbers.

Take heading and contact out of the game and we end up with another game.

Sport is really getting soft can  you imagine how the Romans would react to our complaints, 

Modern Player:  I got a bruise from a header 😞  

Roman:  I got my leg bit off by lion, but its just a scratch  🙂 

What kind of 'game' were the Romans playing that involved lions?

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Not sure about that, isn't the 90% mixed in with them that never get it in the first place?

As for lockdown, every country in the world has some form of lockdown many more severe than ours, some in europe even have curfews in place.

My theory is they can't all be wrong.

Think governments just don’t want to be blamed if healthcare would need to be rationed. The lockdowns are basically there to ensure that all the 85 year olds who catch it and are in the unlucky 20% that need treatment have access to a ventilator otherwise they’d end up dying. Hence the protect our NHS mantra 

I’d argue that the cure is worse than the disease. Sure, it means we save some old folk and they get to live another couple of years.. but it also means suicides go up amongst young people, unemployment goes up and people’s livelihoods are destroyed. And it’s also tipped government borrowing from an already unsustainable position into the abyss. I’m worried about the ramifications of all of this for 5-10 years time as I can see a situation where everyone’s savings are massively devalued.

Obviously id try and save as many people as possible but I wouldn’t risk the economy for it

14 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

I can see heading been banned within 10 years, Yes part of the game but so were 2 footed tackles and thuggery not to mention, numerous injections dished out to players to get them through a game.

Seems to make sense to ban eventually the game will evolve just like it has since the old Sheffield rules of 150 years ago. It's called Football for a reason.

images.jpeg.614ef2ab94f7ce0ae223d8336efac5c1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

Im sick of 2020 and sick of this sort of cr@p . Heslth and safety . Why not ban hammers ,saws hedgecutters? If they ban heading then tell me how the hell is boxing safe?

Hammers are harmless

Hitting yourself in the head with a hammer should be banned though as it's proven to cause issues

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

35 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No but it’s not unknown for people to die in the ring.. can think of 2 or 3 examples of that or where they’ve been severely disabled from it. Not sure how prevalent dementia is in ex boxers but surely it’s worse than football because brain trauma is higher.. it’s the literal point of it as a knock out comes from the brain hitting the skull with force 

Thing with the dementia link is that it depends at what age you get it.. people live longer now and it’s probably a 1 in 3 or 4 kind of disease if everyone lives to 80+. The worst one is early onset where you get it in your 50s or 60s, which is what Jeff Astle died of

The point of boxing is to inflict temporary damage to the brain i.e. knock them out. The fact that this leads to longer term problems is well known and supported by numerous medical professionals. The participants know and understand the risks and consent to being repeatedly hit in the head in full knowledge that this may cause long term brain damage. 
The point of footballers is to either assist or score a goal or prevent the scoring of a goal. At no point does it say there is a risk of brain damage from performing one of these functions. Therefore a footballer is an unwilling victim of this byproduct - similar to how workers in previous trades have been affected with respiratory problems when unaware of the full dangers involved with performing their simple work based tasks.

Are they wrong to want to be protected from danger when those problems are brought to light?

• Like 1