Is Pulis heading out?

4 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yes

’no matter what’ needs valid research. But me YES I’m 100% happy to head a football fully aware of any potential risks.

so back to you are you saying heading should be banned?

Yes, if it’s proven to play a significant part in brain related illnesses to former players then it’s really a not a contest. 

The fact that you see a simple header as an integral part to be protected at all costs seems a mix up in priorities.

Guest Jack the Hat
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Professionally?

All day every day?

When I was younger I literally played every day except Friday . Now I play once a week. This heading thing was known back the hive is why Lineker didn’t used to head it . So I was more than happy to take the risk for the enjoyment I get out of it. The point is people can make their own informed decisions. Like boxers for example

1 minute ago, Yellowbelly said:

Yes, but as society progresses we eliminate/minimise those dangers to acceptable levels - which is why you wear a seatbelt, wear a motorcycle helmet, have a smoke alarm, wear a face mask etc etc etc. 
Should we go back to using asbestos in our buildings because despite the risks it’s an amazing versatile material?

So the question would be are today's balls at that acceptable level?

To find this out we need to actually find out if dementia is more likely in populations that headed the ball frequently - would need a large study on people with dementia and how much football they played. That would be a very difficult study to do

If it was found there is good evidence to suggest that heading was contributory then you would need to find whether it was the simple act of heading a ball was the cause or whether the ball was an influence.

Then compare those balls to that of today.

Lots of work to do 

Guest Jack the Hat
Just now, Yellowbelly said:

Yes, if it’s proven to play a significant part in brain related illnesses to former players then it’s really a not a contest. 

The fact that you see a simple header as an integral part to be protected at all costs seems a mix up in priorities.

Not at all it’s an opinion. You started your sentence with iF. I mean with what you know now- no ifs or buts - should heading be banned now!

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I played for 20 years in Sunday league when the balls were a lot heavier than the lightweight balloons they use now. 

Ah right I see

Thanks for clarifying because of course playing for the Hen and Chickens is exactly the same as professional top level sport

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

When I was younger I literally played every day except Friday . Now I play once a week. This heading thing was known back the hive is why Lineker didn’t used to head it . So I was more than happy to take the risk for the enjoyment I get out of it. The point is people can make their own informed decisions. Like boxers for example

Kids want to go and play with fireworks

They're happy to make their own informed decisions after being told that it's dangerous

Discuss..

Owlstalk Shop

Ultimately this thread can best be summarised by:

We might have a problem here with heading the ball as it could be giving humans brain injuries.
We should investigate and see if that's the case and if it is taking measures so that humans don't get brain injuries

Followed by straight white middle aged men crying  "NO WAY - We shouldn't change anything to stop humans getting brain injuries because that's how it's always been and I enjoy watching them do it"

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

Not at all it’s an opinion. You started your sentence with iF. I mean with what you know now- no ifs or buts - should heading be banned now!

Why do I have to deal in absolutes? 

There will not be a definitive answer to this and we shall have to make to with the balance of probabilities.

Heading should be banned from youth football and, as suggested, senior training pending the outcome of any investigations. If this takes years then so be it - safety should be put ahead of all concerns - especially if there is a belief that something may do harm.
As far as staunchly defending heading as if it’s one of the founding pillars of the game you need some perspective.

• Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I know that Bobby Charlton was cited as one example, but to be honest, unlike his brother Jack, I don’t recall him heading it that often

A lot of the time it runs in families.. they got to their 80s before getting in so I don’t see what the issue is. My grandad has it and he never played football, it’s just one of those things that comes with age I’m afraid.

As others have said the balls were very different back then and they changed probably in the 70s or 80s. Shearer had a brain scan for that documentary he did on it and they told him he was totally normal. He headed a lot but with a lighter ball.. and the modern ones are even lighter 

Would be surprised if heading a modern ball did much for your risk so I think it’s going too far to restrict it. Doesn’t surprise me in this day and age though given we’re not allowed out the house because of a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. People are too soft

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Would be surprised if heading a modern ball did much for your risk so I think it’s going too far to restrict it. Doesn’t surprise me in this day and age though given we’re not allowed out the house because of a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. People are too soft

OH FFS

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We might have a problem here with heading the ball as it could be giving humans brain injuries.
We should investigate and see if that's the case and if it is taking measures so that humans don't get brain injuries

Followed by straight white middle aged men crying  "NO WAY - We shouldn't change anything to stop humans getting brain injuries because that's how it's always been and I enjoy watching them do it"

WOW!!!!!!

what an offensive and discriminatory post.  People are allowed to have their own opinions . And just because it is socially accepted that it is OK to deacriminate against certain easy target sectors of society doesn’t make it anything other than discrimination.

you have gone down massively in my opinion for the last paragraph. 

1 minute ago, Jack the Hat said:

WOW!!!!!!

what an offensive and discriminatory post.  People are allowed to have their own opinions . And just because it is socially accepted that it is OK to deacriminate against certain easy target sectors of society doesn’t make it anything other than discrimination.

you have gone down massively in my opinion for the last paragraph. 

Am willing to change my stance/opinion if i"m wrong 

Which part of it was inaccurate?

Owlstalk Shop

If they do go on to ban heading, boxing in its present form will be banned.

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

. Doesn’t surprise me in this day and age though given we’re not allowed out the house because of a virus with a 99.5% survival rate.

What's the survival rate for over 60's / 70's

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Next you will be asking for a risk assessment before a game if football can Take place.