Who was the last manager that excited you?

This is one especially aimed at the Anti Pulis Brigade, but anyone can take part, even if you consider two matches a form guide 😉 .

I know most will say Bruce, but since he was barely here for 5 minutes, lets exclude him.

So apart from Steve Bruce, who was the last manager Wednesday appointed that excited you, genuinely got you looking up the table rather than down at the point they were actually appointed, who was the last one who came in and got you thinking we were on the move upwards.  Honestly for me it was Big Ron the second time around, I felt he had unfinished business and by then i had forgiven him for the Villa incident (Mostly cos of the dross we had been served up since Tricky Trev was removed from his duties).  Of course we all know how petty things got at the end of the season with the board and him and where that lead us to. 

The only other one I can think of that made me think "Thats a great call" was when we appointed Sturrock, so yeah I am happy about Pulis, maybe not blood rushing to the head adrenaline pumping happy, but happy to get a proven and seasoned manager who will in my opinion turn around the slide that barring a short 3 year period has been ongoing at this club for around 25 years.

But who for you was the last manager who got you hyped?

• Like 2

In the era since dropping out of the top flight, the appointments of Bruce and Megson excited me, when they were appointed.

In a similar way has the Pulis appointment, even though he wasn't one of my preferred choices but since Pulis was appointed, it as a similar feel to when Megson or Bruce arrived. 

In my lifetime the only other appointments that excited me, when they were made, would be Big Ron and Trevor Francis. Big Jack arrived just before I was born and Sgt Wilko was appointed before I became a fan. 

26 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

This is one especially aimed at the Anti Pulis Brigade, but anyone can take part, even if you consider two matches a form guide 😉 .

I know most will say Bruce, but since he was barely here for 5 minutes, lets exclude him.

So apart from Steve Bruce, who was the last manager Wednesday appointed that excited you, genuinely got you looking up the table rather than down at the point they were actually appointed, who was the last one who came in and got you thinking we were on the move upwards.  Honestly for me it was Big Ron the second time around, I felt he had unfinished business and by then i had forgiven him for the Villa incident (Mostly cos of the dross we had been served up since Tricky Trev was removed from his duties).  Of course we all know how petty things got at the end of the season with the board and him and where that lead us to. 

The only other one I can think of that made me think "Thats a great call" was when we appointed Sturrock, so yeah I am happy about Pulis, maybe not blood rushing to the head adrenaline pumping happy, but happy to get a proven and seasoned manager who will in my opinion turn around the slide that barring a short 3 year period has been ongoing at this club for around 25 years.

'Sir' Jack Charlton.

The club was in a worst mess than now, but he was a big name in the game and he took us on, and gave me some of the best memories of my time.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Carvalhal was exciting in so far as he represented the unknown, which coupled with our rapid squad-building, made the start of his first season feel like a new dawn.

I can't say I was excited when he was announced, though - I'd never heard of him!

I'd probably have to go back to Big Ron's return for the last time I was genuinely excited about a managerial appointment before a ball had been kicked.

• Like 3

Big Ron in reality but I remember when we appointed Paul Surrock I was quite excited. Earlier I’d seen his Plymouth side come to Hillsborough and destroy us with some lovely football. At that level I thought he was a good appointment which he turned out to be. He didn’t play the style of football I was expecting mind but he got the best out of what he had. 

But genuinely the re appointment of Big Ron was the last time I thought this is a turning point for us where we could be a force. But alas Richards put an end to that. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

You mean at the time the appointment was made presumably?

If so, then I remember feeling excited by Wilson's appointment because of what he'd achieved at Barnsley, and I thought it was great that we were appointing an up-and-coming young manager—not to mention the added ‘written-in-the-stars’ factor with him being an ex-player.

And though I ought to have learnt after Wilson, I allowed myself to believe we'd bounce straight back up and that it would be the making of us when we appointed Jewell too.

After that I stopped being excited by anything.

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Was pleased when megson was appointed coz I was confident that he would improve things .......pulis is of a similar ilk and just hope that he is given more time to get the job completed. 

The opposite for me, think those were the appointments that filled me with dread. However, although I hated the idea of Megson, if Pulis has a similar impact, he might be able to set us on our way