Preston NE - V - Wednesday omdt

9 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

image.png.5bf4b20771f6313cd2f3a373c209e9a5.png

Evening all. Are you excited? 

It's not a word that many people would probably use after Tony Pulis has walked into their club granted.

Rightly or wrongly perceptions are built and then held. 

But I'll be honest with you. I'm excited. I am honestly. I'll tell you why.

Not for pure footballing reasons, Good God, I've seen enough of Wednesday over the years to know that a tap can't be turned on . No. I'm happy that we have a man take the hot-seat who is comfortable in himself. 

Tony Pulis knows who he is.  'We know who he is too!" you will cry. But what I really mean to say is. Tony Pulis knows who he is, what he is, what he can do and how he's to go about it. 

Tony Pulis is a man with a plan. 

We need a man with a plan. We've need one for years, and I have no doubt Tony Pulis will give us one.

Now, it might be a plan that some of the purists among us don't like. 

He won't really care about that either. And that's another reason to like him. He's a focussed individual who'll do what it needed. He won't get caught up in silly asides, won't cow tow to pressure. 

Blimey, do you remember the time a flustered Danny Wilson admitted  that he had thrown on an ineffectual Francesco Sanetti...because the KOP was on his back to make a substitution. 

There will be none of that from Pulis.

That first press conference. There was an ease about the man. He didn't look like a rabbit caught in the headlights as so many new managers do.  Blimey, Garry Monk at his looked like a man who'd just had a bad diagnosis from his GP.

Of course, in a way he had. The image of Monks wild eyed face and bulging eyes as the weary looking chairman declared to the assembled press that promotion was on the cards will stick with me till my dying day. 

Pulis , given time, will build. He'll build solid foundations , which will make a nice change since much of what we have built in recent years has been built on sand a quick fix of big name players, on big money, and no genuine strategy or process in place.

Something which we could all see would, and did,  came crumbling down in expensive ruins. 

Pulis will give us solid foundations to build on. 

Given longer he might build something even more solid. But we will have to have some patience. The budget has been blown and we're probably going to see more well sourced grafters on site in coming months and years than artists coming in to paint fancy murals on the ceiling.  If that what it takes, to do it right this time. Then that is what it takes. And we must get behind the players and manager in that period.  

He's not been a popular appointment, largely   because of preconceived ideas we have of him.

Before we leap on him looking for problem, let us see what he can do with us and not knee jerk at the first set back.

Sadly unlike some of the  fly-by-nights we've had this Pulis is going to need wins from the off to buy patience with a frustrated, and not a little snobbish, fan base.

A win tomorrow at a ground where we have got hardly anything in 22 visits would be a terrific start.

Great houses are start with good footings. Not miracles.

Lets give him a chance.

A proper chance.

PRESTON NORTH END

- v

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

image.png.8ad1c34cebaca28b25bfaafdc6a26baa.png

The hosts currently sit in 14th place in the table having lost away to Rotherham United 2-1 last time out, while Wednesday are in 23rd after our 0-0 draw with Millwall.

Preston went into their fixture with Rotherham buoyed by their handsome win at leaders Reading, and with the best away record in the Championship with 13 points from 15 - as well as the worst home record - with all of their points coming on the road. Talk about inconsistent. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

PRESTON NORTH END

image.png.1f0b3b7326f0a38727dcb0e0893bae56.png

Alex Neil and his team  will know, they cannot rely on such sporadic form and will need to start picking up points at home. Easier said than done though, as they have not kept a clean sheet at Deepdale for six games, and have kept only one clean sheet in their last 20 home games.

🤪 Yes I know. I know what these sorts of stats usually mean with Wednesday on the horison!🤪

The Lilywhites will feel they have a chance of shutting out Wednesday, who are the second-lowest scorers in the league, with only six goals so far this campaign.

Preston underwent a stern test during the break, as they hosted Burnley in a training ground friendly that finished 2-2, with goalkeeper Connor Ripley opening the scoring with a wind-assisted clearance.

Alan Browne will be unavailable this weekend due to testing positive for COVID-19 while away with the Republic of Ireland.

Browne adds to the number of injuries that the Lilywhites were nursing before the break and so Alex Neil will hope to get some bodies back into the fold.

Patrick Bauer, Andrew Hughes, Ben Pearson, and Ben Davies all missed the last match while Darnell Fisher went off injured. It remains to be seen who will be declared fit ahead of Wednesday's visit.

😃Fisher and Pearson. Two of my most detested players. I'm delighted in one sense. But in another gutted because I'd like to see their faces at the final whistle should we win. These are the little things football is about. Those little side stories that we build in our minds. You have to have those players you hate. 😃

image.png.977cfb2752475f3c63a19d9778446444.png

PRESTON POSSIBLE :

Rudd

Fisher  Huntington   Storey   Rafferty

Johnson   Ledson

Sinclair         Harrop            Potts

Jakobsen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

image.png.2f2456d2a3ee8b76a948364bbc36d94b.png

Wednesday have managed just seven Championship wins under Monk since the start of 2020, and will hope that seasoned pro Tony Pulis can offer a better return.

Pulis faces a tough test as Wednesday come into this fixture with only one win in their last six, but he will take heart from Preston's poor home form and will look to extend the Lilywhites' fruitless home record.

From Wednesday's perspective, Pulis has been forced to call up a number of youngsters to train with their injury-torn first team. 

Pulis refused to name names when asked about the injuries in his squad this week, though there was speculation that defenders Dominic Iorfa, Joost van Aken and striker Jack Marriott will remain unavailable.

Long-term absentees include Chey Dunkley (leg) and Aden Flint (hamstring), with no clear return dates.

The fact that Jordan Rhodes did the pre match press conference suggest he's going to involved doesn't it?

Pulis made no bones about the fact he has previously rated Westwood as the keepers best division and his registering of the player means there must be a chance of him starting. Though, you would have to feel slightly for Wildsmith who has waited patiently behind a suffering Dawson all season , come in and kept two clean sheets but now looks likely to make way.

image.png.5e7a004f49518f59dd40b0ac21d3ae28.png

Westwood

Odubajo   Lees    Borner     Palmer

Brown   Pelupessy   Bannan

Windass   Rhodes    Kachunga

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

FORM GUIDE: 

Preston North End: 

WWLLWL

Sheffield Wednesday

LLLLWD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

AS IT STANDS...

image.png.eb75c63104bd039c315f2be510f04b18.png

COME ON WEDNESDAY

GOOD LUCK PULIS

I'd like to dedicate this thread to  @TINKERBELL & @EXCALIBUR.

The sun casts a more golden light on the world after darkness.  

Great Post and agree everything you say of pulis, he of course is a strong character and so we and the chairman must let him get on with the job giving full backing because I don't think for one minute he would hesitate to walk if not. 

• Like 2

Hopefully a new start to a better future, TP needs time to sort out this sorry state we find ourselves in, a bit like Jack Charlton found us in. Not going to be pretty but for us it's about finding a way to win games and having a winning mentality, 1-0 every week will do me, as the Gunners used to sing under George Graham 1-0 to the Arsenal. TP is like Steve Bruce in that he knows how a football club should be run from top to bottom and coming from a working class background will want to build a better relationship with our fabulous fanbase and I'm sure at some point have a dig at DC over the match day admission prices. 

As much as I want Westwood to come back in to the starting 11 personally I think he needs a few weeks of training with the first team before he does. If he was to make a mistake today I can imagine certain people would rip him to bits on here, forgetting that all our keepers seem prone to mistakes. Iorfa will be a massive miss and out defence will be weaker because of it. Hope Rhodes starts and smashes in a goal. Come on Wednesday!!!!

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

“Perceptions are build and then held”  ....well they’re certainly built but not necessarily held.

Pulis was close to the top of my avoid at all costs list , an opinion built on perception. But then along comes familiarity and perceptions begin to change. I like him 100% more than I did two weeks ago and I feel irresponsibly confident !! 
Just like Big Ron... you don’t get it or love him until he’s yours.

As for all the “ purist “ twaddle, yes we’d all love to build a team that plays  like the aforementioned Big Ron’s dream squad but I got just as much pleasure from Wilko’s warriors... winning is everything,

COME ON YOU WEDNESDAY!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Westwood

Odubajo   Lees    Borner     Palmer

Brown   Pelupessy   Bannan

Windass   Rhodes    Kachunga

Scary stuff. Looks like a formation and line up that someone has given some thought too...

Good look Tone

Good luck Wednesday

1994770169_TonyPullisMWGA2.png.4487f2266f089b40013b2a5504ffa29a.png

• Like 2

Mi'lord,

I think you hit the nail on the head there with Pulis's character. I was quite uneasy about him when the rumours started, but he himself managed to clear a lot of that feeling. He knows what he's best at and doesn't need to fancy anyone  anymore.

This fixture ia going to be much tougher than normally because of the injury problems, but maybe it will let some youngster shine. 0-1 for The Owls.

• Like 2