Westwood Joins the squad.

Just now, SiJ said:

Well, he's no doubt the most accomplished out of our three goalkeepers. 

Unfortunately, he seems to have a knack of falling out with certain managers and/or doesn't like getting dropped and having to re-earn his place. 

Hope he comes in and does well and, if he can get back somewhere near to his best, then we still have a very good keeper on our hands. However, I really think we need to be looking at a new number 1 in the summer. The whole Westwood thing has become a real circus. 

To be fair I think the one person who has come out of this with any dignity is Westwood, he hasn't made a fuss, he's offered support to the other keepers and hasn't dished the dirt on monk

Granted in the long term we need a new number 1 in the short term though we have a keeper who probably has something to prove as well

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
59 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Well, he's no doubt the most accomplished out of our three goalkeepers. 

Unfortunately, he seems to have a knack of falling out with certain managers and/or doesn't like getting dropped and having to re-earn his place. 

Hope he comes in and does well and, if he can get back somewhere near to his best, then we still have a very good keeper on our hands. However, I really think we need to be looking at a new number 1 in the summer. The whole Westwood thing has become a real circus. 

What if he comes in and we keep loads of clean sheets like last time.. will be hard to say release him at the end of the season even if he is 36. Just have to see how he gets on I guess 

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

yes i did and the lads comeback well since he got back into the team ....maybe westwood will rediscover his game but he doesnt deserve to walk straight back in .

It's only been 3 games since Wildsmith came back into the side, and in which time he's done okay. 'Okay’ as in as much as you'd expect and no major clangers (although a few very dodgy clearances under pressure, but I'll not hold that too highly against him).

Should this be how we decide who keeps goal from now on? Once you find yourself with the starting spot, you stay in until you make a bad mistake? Is that the level of acceptance we've sunk to? Incidentally, if Westwood doesn't ‘deserve to walk straight back in’ due to dodgy form when last playing, then neither did Wildsmith when he got the nod over Dawson, since his form when last playing was also dodgy.

One thing that can be said about our matches over the last year is how few have seen the keeper be voted MOTM. There's perhaps at least one, but I can't readily think of any. With Westwood and all his dodgy form (however much it's being exaggerated) you only have to go back 3 games before he was dropped and I remember him getting the MOTM against leaders Leeds at home in the 0-0 draw.

That's the difference between Westwood and our other keepers; he has that in his locker. Whether he can produce this form reliably and consistently anymore is the big question, but of course, a new manager coming in is always going to want to ask this question immediately, and he'll not wait until the present incumbent (Wildsmith) makes a costly mistake before doing so.

14 hours ago, theowlsman said:

But, when our fortunes improve with Westwood in goal, you’re going to say it was nothing to do with Westwood aren’t you?

We are plodding along at just over a point a game. We have scored 6 goals and conceded 10 goals in 11 games. 

If our fortunes improve I would say they would be more down to the new manager than the possible return of Westwood.

70% of a keepers job is talking to his back four and positioning .... One thing that many goalies forget is to talk with their teammates... you could always hear westwood shouting at his back 4!

So ask yourself how does Westwood compare to the others in terms of the 7 basics?

1. Talking, 
2. Quick Reflexes
3. Covering Angles
4. Reading Opponents
5. Diving
6. Handling of High Balls
7. Use of Feet

1 hour ago, cowl said:

It's only been 3 games since Wildsmith came back into the side, and in which time he's done okay. 'Okay’ as in as much as you'd expect and no major clangers (although a few very dodgy clearances under pressure, but I'll not hold that too highly against him).

Should this be how we decide who keeps goal from now on? Once you find yourself with the starting spot, you stay in until you make a bad mistake? Is that the level of acceptance we've sunk to? Incidentally, if Westwood doesn't ‘deserve to walk straight back in’ due to dodgy form when last playing, then neither did Wildsmith when he got the nod over Dawson, since his form when last playing was also dodgy.

One thing that can be said about our matches over the last year is how few have seen the keeper be voted MOTM. There's perhaps at least one, but I can't readily think of any. With Westwood and all his dodgy form (however much it's being exaggerated) you only have to go back 3 games before he was dropped and I remember him getting the MOTM against leaders Leeds at home in the 0-0 draw.

That's the difference between Westwood and our other keepers; he has that in his locker. Whether he can produce this form reliably and consistently anymore is the big question, but of course, a new manager coming in is always going to want to ask this question immediately, and he'll not wait until the present incumbent (Wildsmith) makes a costly mistake before doing so.

There wasn't a poll after the Bournemouth or Millwall games. But here's the poll from the Wycombe game:

1983104510_Screenshot2020-11-20at08_40_55.thumb.png.02b3957a555b26f228da1488acb0931d.png

I have no issues with the Westwood fans wanting him back in or saying that Westwood is a great keeper etc

What I do have issue with is trying to suggest that Wildsmith did anything wrong in the last few games he's played

Fair enough if you prefer Westwood but let's not be trying to make out Wildsmith played in any way badly at all 

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

14 hours ago, BIG D said:

I keep hearing this and then remember the performances of our keepers for the last 12 months.

lol

Both statements accurate in my view,we will in any case have our answer tomorrow....Personally i thought WS was doing ok b4 Jos dropped him in favour of Dawson...Hasnt looked as good since in my view

10 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

There wasn't a poll after the Bournemouth or Millwall games. But here's the poll from the Wycombe game:

1983104510_Screenshot2020-11-20at08_40_55.thumb.png.02b3957a555b26f228da1488acb0931d.png

Agreed don't think Wildsmith has done much wrong .. his starting positions and talking to the defenders seems to be alot better than Cam who always tends to be closer to his goal for me!  

The young keepers will only improve with game time, winning games (as do all the team), clean sheets, etc. ...... it's so difficult as our keepers have been exposed by the rest of the team at times not as any fault of their own

On 19/11/2020 at 13:50, SiJ said:

What a farce.

I would suggest a top priority is to get a new keeper in the summer.

Westwood...he's back...again. Let's see how he does, but I'm not sure it would be wise to keep him around after this season.

I would be disapointed to see him re contracted