TONY PULIS - PRESS CONFERENCE THREAD

Just watched the full conference on the Club website.

Along with all of the good will and usual platitudes, two comments stood out for me;

1)  The Chairman and I need to be able to trust each other, I feel he needs someone in the Club to be near and to trust.

2)  I said to the players today that there is playing football and there is playing football to win and there is a massive difference between the two.

Neither of these are direct quotes, just my paraphrasing what was said.

I was somewhat disappointed with TP's appointment but now I am looking forward, past these next two matches, because it will take a few weeks to transmit his methods, enthusiasm and will to win throughout the playing squad and backroom staff.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

... Makes it easier when you have to pull them off at half time.

Bloody hell, WTF is going on at S6? He’s only been here a day and we’ve had balls being sucked on the Kop and players being pulled off……

image.gif.48eb11fcc9d57a18a6d30c7b0a85160f.gif

:pulis:

• Haha 1

One of the big differences between Pulis and Monk is Pulis exudes actual confidence in himself. 

He's a bit brash and arrogant. 

Monk tried to be these things, but was never convincing. 

You'd think that Pulis will walk into that dressing room and command respect from the off. By all accounts, if you work hard, then he's a great man manager. 

We will see. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of Pulis but i enjoyed listening to that interview and it made a refreshing change to hear honest opinions said with conviction rather than the half hearted ramblings of the previous incumbent. I'm sure he will have more success getting the players to buy into his ethos than Monk managed.

However i remain cautious as talking the talk is fine but producing the goods has been a completely different matter at Hillsborough of late.

Having said that i feel happier today than i was on the initial appointment of Pulis.

I wish him every success UTO

• Love 1

1 hour ago, full fathom five said:

I'm not a fan of Pulis but i enjoyed listening to that interview and it made a refreshing change to hear honest opinions said with conviction rather than the half hearted ramblings of the previous incumbent. I'm sure he will have more success getting the players to buy into his ethos than Monk managed.

However i remain cautious as talking the talk is fine but producing the goods has been a completely different matter at Hillsborough of late.

Having said that i feel happier today than i was on the initial appointment of Pulis.

I wish him every success UTO

Perfect summary I feel.

Still less than happy about the appointment but cannot knock the press conference and was nicely surprised what a big personality TP is.

He’d clearly thought about some points he wanted to get across as well; mentions of our history, Don Megson, Westwood and a little nibble at our little neighbours will all have won him points with different aspects of the fan base.

Will be interesting to see how it takes shape on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, morganowl said:

who was next to pulis on training field this morning? didnt look like dave kemp , but defo seen him before ,name escapes me?

Someone said it might be the club Doctor? Don't know his name. 

20 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

He can handle the press.

He commands respect.

I read he doesn't like doing all the media things ect. too.

21 hours ago, Jim said:

As I’ve said before this appointment is very similar to the Bruce one on so many levels.

Experienced manager who has had success relative to his respective remit wherever he’s been. Straight away the players respect him because of what he’s already achieved in the game.

Look at Monk, talks a good game but can’t back it up in terms of achievement. 

A big difference for me just like Bruce did, Westwood’s back involved. Straight away the players see that the best goalkeeper here is back in the frame. That says a lot.

There will still be a lot of moaning on here but providing Newport don’t come in for him anytime soon, I think not only will he keep us up this season, he’ll probably take us up to the premier league and keep us there.

Man Utd was his boyhood club haha.

20 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Well I wasn't too impressed with his appointment Fri but after watching that today I've warmed to him a lot more, I hope to god DC doesn't think he's appointed a yes man because I think he'll be in for a shock, hopefully tp will tell paxo to feck off, I also hope he gets the time to turn things around properly he needs min 2 transfer windows to do it, come on Wednesday new manager and a new direction bring it on .....wawaw

TP and paxo are supposedly friends/know each other.

20 hours ago, modboy said:

What did he say about Paterson, seems to have missed it 

That he doesn't think he is a striker that other people thought he was and that he will find what his best position is when he comes back from International duty.

18 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

It seemed a highly polish press conference, full of sound bites and platitudes. I don't get bought that easily. I'm yet to listen to it, but I'm just about to.

I am underwhelmed by his appointment, but only time will tell whether or not it was the right one at the right time. It couldn't have been any worse than keeping Monk on however.

What do you think then?

56 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

Someone said it might be the club Doctor? Don't know his name. 

I read he doesn't like doing all the media things ect. too.

Man Utd was his boyhood club haha.

TP and paxo are supposedly friends/know each other.

That he doesn't think he is a striker that other people thought he was and that he will find what his best position is when he comes back from International duty.

What do you think then?

bcs.gif

How many have bought into the interview and perception changed of Tony Pulis?

I am not a fan of his style of play, but i think he will manage to get results. He came across as very passionate about running the club correctly, and can see hes been in football a long time with his answers. i think he will succeed and has the credentials to be our best manager under Chansiri.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

What do you think then?

I don't think or feel any different, which is how I thought I would be. However, my feeling of being underwhelmed at Pulis' appointment is, on reflection, not necessarily about the man himself, more the fact that we are where we are as a club. Around October 2018 I said to my mates whilst sitting on the kop, watching another abject performance, that we were about to go into around 3 seasons of downturn and sadly, that prophecy so far is coming true. I'm certainly not the messiah; I'm to much of a naughty boy for that role. My comments though were bleedin' obvious.

I don't want Pulis to fail, like I didn't want Monk to fail. I'd never heard of Jos. So I hope he can improve the squad, the club and the position we are in. Whether or not he succeeds is down to his judgement and decisions, a certain amount of luck and DC.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, torryowl said:

no doubt he can talk the talk and in doing so seems to have got a lot of fans on board ......

Talk is cheap, he is always forthright and articulate. No doubt he knows how to really run a club but will his style be entertaining very doubtful will he improve, results possibly, time will tell. Have my doubts but really hope he is successful.

• Thanks 1