TONY PULIS - PRESS CONFERENCE THREAD

Have watched most of what was an impressive press conference. TP looked relaxed and spoke off the cuff whilst also knowing which generic stuff he had to say. I liked the way he stressed the importance of his relationship with the Chairman and also that he said he would be living as close to the training ground as possible. Don’t forget,  this guy's family live in Poole down in Dorset so it’s a big thing at 62 to uproot yourself and live a single life most of the week. 

I was disappointed when he was named manager, but actually I think he’s going to get this club organised and as he says, winning football matches. He clearly thinks the squad lacks balance so he’s got to juggle with things until the transfer window unless he can bring in any free agents. Interesting to hear who his number 2 will be. 

Really looking forward to Saturday and feeling confident that the team will at least put a decent shift in and play with spirit under TP. WAWAW

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

On Garry Monk: 

I’ve got a job to do at this football club, what he did or what he didn’t do is down to him.

I’m walking straight in and I want to get this team going. You know the story at Boro and we had to sell players. We had to look after the finances.

The chairman there had spent a lot of money on a group of players and it was sad to see the players had been set back again. We wanted to be as successful as we possibly can.

Was it that cuntflaps at Boro that grassed us up Tone?! Strictly between us guvnor....  :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Wait - you're not a fan of this appointment? 

Well, bloody hell!

How did I miss that?! 

Because you’re not picking up on my nuanced arguments.  Although I’m with him on Westwood. 

Time after time we hear about the injury situation being concerning, every bleedin time a new manager walks in and it's true.

What really is the problem behind this? Will Pulis be able to fix it when so many others have failed? I guess under Bruce the situation improved so there is hope that a proper manager can fix it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

How the hell did he get signed as a forward by our recruitment team then?

lol

Everyone agreed that Reach was definitely a striker for a while.

Well I wasn't too impressed with his appointment Fri but after watching that today I've warmed to him a lot more, I hope to god DC doesn't think he's appointed a yes man because I think he'll be in for a shock, hopefully tp will tell paxo to feck off, I also hope he gets the time to turn things around properly he needs min 2 transfer windows to do it, come on Wednesday new manager and a new direction bring it on .....wawaw

• Thanks 1

Loved listening to him. What a refreshing change that was.

Massive silence after his very honest comment about Westwood - think the interviewer was gobsmacked at the straightforward statement “He is the best goalkeeper here and he would play if available” - Wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As with many other posters the press conference definitely made me warm to him (in my case despite my reservations).

Two things stood out to me:

Firstly, he has been around football for a long long time. He has seen a lot, done a lot and knows everyone in the game. This may be useful. 
Secondly he does seem to get what the club is about. The answer to Dom H about what his ambition was was excellent. Beating Sheffield United at Hillsborough in the Prem, in front of a full house. I felt it struck a chord with me and was a better answer than the usual corporate B/S Monk would come up with. 

None of this makes any real difference I guess but yes he may be ‘old guard’ but he does bring something definite to the club. 
As to if I will like what he brings time will tell, but I feel inclined to get behind him and see what happens. 

Welcome to Sheffield Tony...

• Love 1