TONY PULIS - PRESS CONFERENCE THREAD

Well I wasn't too impressed with his appointment Fri but after watching that today I've warmed to him a lot more, I hope to god DC doesn't think he's appointed a yes man because I think he'll be in for a shock, hopefully tp will tell paxo to feck off, I also hope he gets the time to turn things around properly he needs min 2 transfer windows to do it, come on Wednesday new manager and a new direction bring it on .....wawaw

• Thanks 1

As with many other posters the press conference definitely made me warm to him (in my case despite my reservations).

Two things stood out to me:

Firstly, he has been around football for a long long time. He has seen a lot, done a lot and knows everyone in the game. This may be useful. 
Secondly he does seem to get what the club is about. The answer to Dom H about what his ambition was was excellent. Beating Sheffield United at Hillsborough in the Prem, in front of a full house. I felt it struck a chord with me and was a better answer than the usual corporate B/S Monk would come up with. 

None of this makes any real difference I guess but yes he may be ‘old guard’ but he does bring something definite to the club. 
As to if I will like what he brings time will tell, but I feel inclined to get behind him and see what happens. 

Welcome to Sheffield Tony...

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, mabor said:

Random fact 1: Tony Pulis' grand father was from Malta.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/the-maltese-link-to-the-english-fa-cup.365165.amp

Random fact 2: In Malta, the surname Pulis is pronounced 'police'. 

Random fact 3: In Glasgow, the police is pronounced Pulis.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Just listened to the full thing. My knee jerk opinion of his style last week changed over the last few days having read about and listened to him elsewhere. This interview took that further, it was impressive, he was very engaging and insightful. Not just high level PR talk and management speak and a bit of humour in there too.

You can see why honest and hard working players would like to play for him. He has probably mellowed a bit from Stoke and Gillingham but you can see the parallels with Bruce in terms of a bit of gravitas and a charisma I didn’t know he had. He can probably have a conversation with anyone and seem interested which is good for a man manager and the type of character that this club has needed historically.

Hes a “football man” who has been and done it. When people talk about needing a DOF then Pulis, like Bruce, does that job himself. He is the boss and wants the chairman to trust him and he will guide him. I liked that.

Ultimately results are key and you wonder how long he wants to be here (presumably beyond this season if he’s talking about PL derbies) given his short term deal at Boro. But based on first impressions I think we could be lucky to have him.

I’m still selling the Eiffel Tower if you’re interested. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

The only difference you could make to the pitch markings would be the dimensions. Sounds a load of tosh to me that. 
I thought our training pitches were all re laid and upgraded a couple of years ago anyway.

That’s exactly what it is, other pitches are set up to reflect pitch dimensions for future away games.  I don’t know why that seems so far fetched to you.

• Thanks 1