Jump to content

England men's fixtures omdt.


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

If you want someone to really f@ck it up in the big games then Pep is your man, the bottler of the big game!

 

Harsh. 

 

But on a similar note, while i probably think its a bit far calling him the bottler of the big game i think it's without doubt that Fergie didn't win enough of those in europe particularly

 

Probably where pep has questions marks - and Wenger 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, scram said:

 

Harsh. 

 

But on a similar note, while i probably think its a bit far calling him the bottler of the big game i think it's without doubt that Fergie didn't win enough of those in europe particularly

 

Probably where pep has questions marks - and Wenger 

Could say that about most managers? 

 

Klopp and Simeone are  others that has lost a couple of semis and finals too. 

 

Zidane is the only manager that seems to do better in Europe then domestically

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just think Fergie lost it quite profoundly at times - Leverkusen in the CL semi final?

 

That was the equivalent of a gimme

 

Also completely tactically outdone by a surprise last minute tactical switch by Scolari at old trafford by reverting to a back 3 and pushing Roberto Carlos up as a wing back - he didn't react at all and it gave (the original) Ronaldo the freedom of the pitch - he scored a hattrick...

 

I did love his philosophy though - but it was frustrating at times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest T Hardy
14 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

 

 

 

 

Zidane is the only manager that seems to do better in Europe then domestically


Ancelotti also 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, scram said:

I just think Fergie lost it quite profoundly at times - Leverkusen in the CL semi final?

 

That was the equivalent of a gimme

 

Also completely tactically outdone by a surprise last minute tactical switch by Scolari at old trafford by reverting to a back 3 and pushing Roberto Carlos up as a wing back - he didn't react at all and it gave (the original) Ronaldo the freedom of the pitch - he scored a hattrick...

 

I did love his philosophy though - but it was frustrating at times

 

 

Obviously the Real manager wasn't Scolari

 

It was Del Bosque!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/09/2021 at 14:20, scram said:

 

Harsh. 

 

But on a similar note, while i probably think its a bit far calling him the bottler of the big game i think it's without doubt that Fergie didn't win enough of those in europe particularly

 

Probably where pep has questions marks - and Wenger 

I think Guardiola has been, and remains a revolutionary coach, however I do think that in the really big games he just tries to be too clever. How on earth he did he think he could get away with his selection in the CL final against Chelsea is beyond me. Of course these coaches know much more about what is going on in and around the game but if you are going to make a statement like that you need a good plan B that you can move in the game without using subs. To not have won the CL with the resources he had at Bayern and the resources he has at City is a big mark against him for me.

Fergie left a few CL' s on the table, 97, should have beat Madrid in the early 2000's and I still think they could have won the first final against Barcelona if they had gone in front early, should have also beat Bayern in the game at OT when the Brazilian full back got sent off.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andorra away won't be happening for our group then!

 

5,500 travel club members expressed an interest for 993 tickets :biggrin:

 

Needless to say, the random ballot was unkind.

 

Last chance for an away match this year will be in.............................San Marino! Another cavernous venue.

 

Hopefully a couple of decent away friendlies next March.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see one or two are chinning over Southgate’s latest squad. Personally I think he’s got it right with Bellingham. If he’s not going to be starting the next 2 games which let’s face it, he never was going to then it makes sense to rest him. He’s played an awful lot of senior football for a teenager and could do with the rest.

 

As far as the squad goes, I think we’re at the stage that apart from 2 or 3 places, this is going to be the squad that goes to Qatar next winter?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jim said:

I see one or two are chinning over Southgate’s latest squad. Personally I think he’s got it right with Bellingham. If he’s not going to be starting the next 2 games which let’s face it, he never was going to then it makes sense to rest him. He’s played an awful lot of senior football for a teenager and could do with the rest.

 

As far as the squad goes, I think we’re at the stage that apart from 2 or 3 places, this is going to be the squad that goes to Qatar next winter?

 


You have to make allowances.

A WC semi & a Euro final clearly not good enough progress from Woy’s abysmal failure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:


You have to make allowances.

A WC semi & a Euro final clearly not good enough progress from Woy’s abysmal failure. 

 

I’m not a massive fan of Southgate but he’s the most successful England manager in my lifetime as I’m sure he is for many on here?

 

He’s a little too pragmatic in his approach for me but it is an approach that’s got results in the main.

 

He does however have an embarrassment of riches to work from. Only Greenwood with Keegan, Brooking, Butcher, Hoddle, Francis etc and Sven with Beckham, Ferdinand, Owen, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard etc have had squads that have come anywhere close.

 

It’ll be interesting to see how Southgate goes on from here. I still think the likes of Bellingham, Smith-Rowe, Greenwood and maybe Hudson-Odoi will give him a nice problem within the next 12 months or so?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

 

I’m not a massive fan of Southgate but he’s the most successful England manager in my lifetime as I’m sure he is for many on here?

 

He’s a little too pragmatic in his approach for me but it is an approach that’s got results in the main.

 

He does however have an embarrassment of riches to work from. Only Greenwood with Keegan, Brooking, Butcher, Hoddle, Francis etc and Sven with Beckham, Ferdinand, Owen, Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard etc have had squads that have come anywhere close.

 

It’ll be interesting to see how Southgate goes on from here. I still think the likes of Bellingham, Smith-Rowe, Greenwood and maybe Hudson-Odoi will give him a nice problem within the next 12 months or so?

 

I'd agree about his depth of choice. Any team where James Ward-Prowse can't get a game can't be bad. Rashford needs sacking off until his head is back on football. I'd involve Sancho more now he isn't commuting from Germany too.

The fact is, Andorra away is a gimme, so blood the reserves again. Mix and match the seniors with some youth against Hungary. 

Six points and the group is over with 2 easy games to come. Play a youthful XI for those as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

 

I'd agree about his depth of choice. Any team where James Ward-Prowse can't get a game can't be bad. Rashford needs sacking off until his head is back on football. I'd involve Sancho more now he isn't commuting from Germany too.

The fact is, Andorra away is a gimme, so blood the reserves again. Mix and match the seniors with some youth against Hungary. 

Six points and the group is over with 2 easy games to come. Play a youthful XI for those as well.

 

I think Albania may be a tougher game than many think as they could still be in the mix for second come that game. I agree 6 points this month and it’s over. I expect him to play strong 11’s for both the next 2. He’ll want Kane in particular to score an hatful in Andorra.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...