England men's fixtures omdt.

1 hour ago, eightbelow said:

just dropped two points in Poland, historically a difficult place in World Cup qualifiers and its time to change the manager, wow. I have yet to see anyone come up with a reasonable alternative.

Pep when he leaves Man City in 2023. Let Southgate have the World Cup next year - I’m no fan of his but he’s earned it - then do everything possible to persuade Pep to take the job. 

Also, on Poland being a historically difficult place to play… saw a stat earlier which surprised me. England have only lost once to Poland in 21 meetings, and that was back in 1973. A draw isn’t a terrible result, but not making a single sub is always gonna leave you open to criticism when you drop points… because it’s poor management

Satisfactory result in the end, if pretty disappointing given how the game went.

Great strike from Harry. Completely opportunist.

Poland not in it in the 2nd half. We should've put 'em away. Overall we were pretty patient and disciplined but we seem to have this tendency to want to walk the ball in

And what was it with the ref. Was he trying to apologize for invading Poland 72 years ago by giving them everything in the 1st half? The booking for Phillps?  You wot mate. SMH

Thought Rice and Phillips were very good. Done a 180 with Rice - thought he was rubbish in his 1st couple of games but he's developed in this role is a top player. Phillips is improving game after game for England.

Poland will go nowhere with Sousa as boss. He seems devoid of ideas.

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
8 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Southgate was the right man for the job when he took it on. He’s laid the foundations of a terrific side. Individually we’re as good as anyone.

Nobody can question his man management. It’s class. 

We lose games because of his ability to manage a game. His 70% of the way to a top manager, unfortunately he’ll never be tactically good enough.

Crikey. Penalties aside in a Euro final, we’ve not lost a game in the last 16 fixtures. 

What do you put down to, if not an ability to manage games?

3 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Done a 180 with Rice - thought he was rubbish in his 1st couple of games but he's developed in this role is a top player. 

I’m hoping more people see what Rice is about. The ‘I don’t know what he does’ posts on here were a bit daft. 

He’s a great player. Chelsea and Man U would take him. Maybe even City. 

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

I’m hoping more people see what Rice is about. The ‘I don’t know what he does’ posts on here were a bit daft. 

He’s a great player. Chelsea and Man U would take him. Maybe even City. 

I was the same about Rice and didn't see what the fuss was all about, maybe it's because he was in midfield with Henderson. Now though absolutely cracking player.

• Like 1

Qualifying is always the same gig. Take at least a point from the two "tough places to go" and beat everybody else home and away and you qualify. That's it, really. We've just tonked Hungary at their place and dropped a last minute equaliser to Poland. I don't think we drop another point in this group and we'll be in Qatar - and it'll be Gareth that's in charge.

On the flip side, people need to stop thinking criticisms such as not making any substitutions are an isolated point. Last night follows on from the Italy game when he waited until the 119th minute to bring Rashford and Sancho on against an Italy backline with a combined age of about 640, and ended up with 2/5 penalty takers touching the ball for the first time taking a vital spot kick. There's a bit of form building up here with game management concerns, on top of a belief that he still doesn't really know how best to utilise the 100's of millions of attacking talent he's got in his lap for free.   

• Like 3

No need to sub anybody last night imo SD. Non of that starting XI played on Sunday. 6 days since Budapest. The equivalent to playing a PL game on a Sunday & again the following Satdy. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Agree that we’ll win out & qualify but the media & others finding fault is amusing. 
We’re in the midst of the good times. Turnip Taylor & McLaren are our bleak history. Along with plenty of others. I’m not exactly a fan of negative Nigel but he’s achieving things with the national team, which is long overdue. 

7 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

No need to sub anybody last night imo SD. Non of that starting XI played on Sunday. 6 days since Budapest. The equivalent to playing a PL game on a Sunday & again the following Satdy. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Agree that we’ll win out & qualify but the media & others finding fault is amusing. 
We’re in the midst of the good times. Turnip Taylor & McLaren are our bleak history. Along with plenty of others. I’m not exactly a fan of negative Nigel but he’s achieving things with the national team, which is long overdue. 

Agree withe the sentiment, it is our best squad for decades.

Imagine if we had a top manager?

pep-guardiola-wink.gif

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Agree withe the sentiment, it is our best squad for decades.

Imagine if we had a top manager?

pep-guardiola-wink.gif

The next 10 years of the England job are going to be defined by handling that attacking 3 or 4. 

It's like the Gerrard - Lampard - Scholes problem again but magnified even further. 

Gareth has to be up to the task or he needs to stand aside if he isn't. 

Guest Mcguigan
16 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The next 10 years of the England job are going to be defined by handling that attacking 3 or 4. 

It's like the Gerrard - Lampard - Scholes problem again but magnified even further. 

Gareth has to be up to the task or he needs to stand aside if he isn't. 

But the Gerrard - Lampard - Scholes problem was 3 players for two positions. We could have at least 8 players vying for 3 positions, assuming Kane's a shoe in.

16 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

But the Gerrard - Lampard - Scholes problem was 3 players for two positions. We could have at least 8 players vying for 3 positions, assuming Kane's a shoe in.

That's exactly what I mean by it being magnified even more, and will define the job for the next decade.

There's too much talent at the England managers disposal for mistakes to be made. An England manager is going to have to figure out the best combination for those 3/4 positions and they are going to be expected to win a trophy or two over the next 10 years. 

28 minutes ago, 442 said:

Pep wouldn't manage England. 

I reckon Peps bored of living in England.

I get the feeling he is too… but it’d be interesting.

England have such a quality squad that maybe there is a slim chance?  

Including some players he’s already worked with, plus Kane who he wanted. 

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

I get the feeling he is too… but it’d be interesting.

England have such a quality squad that maybe there is a slim chance?  

Including some players he’s already worked with, plus Kane who he wanted. 

He said when he leaves City (which will probably be a few years yet) when he does leave, he wants to take a break, then would consider a national side.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/pep-guardiola-man-city-exit-24854931

14 hours ago, eightbelow said:

just dropped two points in Poland, historically a difficult place in World Cup qualifiers and its time to change the manager, wow. I have yet to see anyone come up with a reasonable alternative.

People just like to moan. Only one team, Denmark, currently have a 100% qualifying record. We are doing as well or better than everyone else. 

• Like 3