England men's fixtures omdt.

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't rate Rashford either but I can't see how Harrison gets in the England team

I'll give you credit Phillips proved me wrong

But when you say we should have Phillips, Bamford, Harrison etc you are then putting more than a quarter of the Leeds side into the England side, and Leeds aren't that good, therefore how would they improve England? Or are you saying these 3 players are massively carrying the Leeds side? 

I think we are light on strikers. Bamford deserves a call up I'd say based on stats abive(and then his huge work rate for team).   Is Bamford best or even close to best striker in prem? Course not. 

I'd say similar with Harrison, as I say,  more goals/assists than any other English wide man last season.  

Keep that up(who knows maybe he won't) and surely not unreasonable to suggest he might not be far off?

Phillips and Bamford are the key for Leeds.  those 2 out for long and we will struggle I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

I think we are light on strikers. Bamford deserves a call up I'd say based on stats abive(and then his huge work rate for team).   Is Bamford best or even close to best striker in prem? Course not. 

I'd say similar with Harrison, as I say,  more goals/assists than any other English wide man last season.  

Keep that up(who knows maybe he won't) and surely not unreasonable to suggest he might not be far off?

Phillips and Bamford are the key for Leeds.  those 2 out for long and we will struggle I reckon. 

I think we need more than work rate. Ultimately we are trying to win a World Cup, can these players really do that?

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think we need more than work rate. Ultimately we are trying to win a World Cup, can these players really do that?

Of course and I agree. 

We did brilliantly to get to the finals and lose on pens. WC will be even tougher imo 

Work rate helps but of course we need more.  Forgetting work rate for a minute, Bamford was 2nd highest English Goalscorer and also assisted more than DCL etc. 

On 28/08/2021 at 09:13, Leeds U from sheff said:

He played over there for a while. 

He's becoming a very good player.  Works  like a machine. 

Think I read last season he had more assists and goals combined than any other English winger...... Thats on top of the defensive work he does(lad never stops running). 

Instead we took rashord to the euros..., 

You read wrong.

Harrison 8 goals, 8 assists

Sterling 10 goals, 7 assists

Sancho 8 goals, 11 assists

Rashford 11 goals, 9 assists

Grealish 6 goals, 10 assists

Thats not mentioning the likes of Greenwood, Foden, Mount.

Yes his numbers are up there but, he’s not on the same level as the other players who can ply his position.

Bamford should be nowhere near the England side. The ‘he plays like Kane’ argument is tosh. Why do you want to replace Kane with a player that plays like him? The side needs different options. It’s crying out for a poacher like Ings.

On 30/08/2021 at 09:23, 0wl18 said:

You read wrong.

Harrison 8 goals, 8 assists

Sterling 10 goals, 7 assists

Sancho 8 goals, 11 assists

Rashford 11 goals, 9 assists

Grealish 6 goals, 10 assists

Thats not mentioning the likes of Greenwood, Foden, Mount.

Yes his numbers are up there but, he’s not on the same level as the other players who can ply his position.

Bamford should be nowhere near the England side. The ‘he plays like Kane’ argument is tosh. Why do you want to replace Kane with a player that plays like him? The side needs different options. It’s crying out for a poacher like Ings.

Fair enough re Harrison, it was a sky presenter that said it. 

Bamford isn't like kane... He IS a different option and was the 2nd highest English scorer and works like a dog for the team, defends from the front too.   

We limited oursves in what we took to the euros. 

9 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Just to add, didn't rashfird and Sterling play as a striker at times last season? 

Potentially, I don’t follow them closely but, ultimately they’re wide men for England. If they can play through the middle that’s good for the versatility of the team.

Only Rashford played more games in the prem than Harrison from that list. Sterling 31, Grealish 26 and, Sancho 26. Harrison started pretty much every game for Leeds I’d imagine. He’s not good enough regardless. He might get a Bamford style call up where Southgate just lets him knows he’s on the periphery of the squad should there be injuries.

10 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Fair enough re Harrison, it was a sky presenter that said it. 

Bamford isn't like kane... He IS a different option and was the 2nd highest English scorer and works like a dog for the team, defends from the front too.   

We limited oursves in what we took to the euros. 

His game is very similar to Kane’s and, that’s one of the reasons people have touted him for the squad. 

Bamford isn’t a top level centre forward. He’s effective in the Leeds system but, would be an absolute passenger at international level. He’s had 1 good season at Leeds. The fans wanted rid in the championship ffs. 

DCL, Ings, Watkins and, Tammy Abraham are all in front of Bamford.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

His game is very similar to Kane’s and, that’s one of the reasons people have touted him for the squad. 

Bamford isn’t a top level centre forward. He’s effective in the Leeds system but, would be an absolute passenger at international level. He’s had 1 good season at Leeds. The fans wanted rid in the championship ffs. 

I rate Bamford more than Watkins tbh 

Guest Mcguigan
26 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I don’t think his game doesn’t resemble Kane’s at all. 

For both club and country, Kane appears to do what he wants, when he wants. Dropping so out of position some times it’s laughable.

Bamford does as he’s told. As you say, he’s effective in Leeds’ system and in my view would be England if played the same.

5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

I don’t think his game doesn’t resemble Kane’s at all. 

For both club and country, Kane appears to do what he wants, when he wants. Dropping so out of position some times it’s laughable.

Bamford does as he’s told. As you say, he’s effective in Leeds’ system and in my view would be England if played the same.

Bamford drops deep for Leeds the same as Kane does for Spurs. It’s a fundamental part of the Leeds system. He occupies the centre halves, either drops deep to create space for runners behind or, runs them to create space in front. 7 assists last season  isn’t a fluke, it’s because he’s often got the ball at his feet in a deeper role.

Kane doesn’t do what he wants, he’s asked to drop deep for the same principles. Look at the effect it had with Son running in behind last season. 

Ultimately Bamford is another good season away from being a regular in the squad. His problem is the likes of DCL and, Ings are far more clinical which, is what England need of Kane dropping deep isn’t working.

Guest Mcguigan
41 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Bamford drops deep for Leeds the same as Kane does for Spurs. It’s a fundamental part of the Leeds system. He occupies the centre halves, either drops deep to create space for runners behind or, runs them to create space in front. 7 assists last season  isn’t a fluke, it’s because he’s often got the ball at his feet in a deeper role.

Kane doesn’t do what he wants, he’s asked to drop deep for the same principles. Look at the effect it had with Son running in behind last season. 

Ultimately Bamford is another good season away from being a regular in the squad. His problem is the likes of DCL and, Ings are far more clinical which, is what England need of Kane dropping deep isn’t working.

Fair enough but in my opinion, far too many times for England I see Kane nowhere near where he should be for a striker.

I don’t want my main striker getting 7 assists and players running in behind him. I want him in a position where he’ll score.

Living with a Leeds fan and an in laws all Leeds, I see a lot of them. I’ve never seen Bamford drop as deep or out of position as Kane, only when doing his defensive duties.

Watching Kane put crosses into the box from out wide, for England a few months ago, drove me nuts.

4 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

He was quality in the last year of promotion too....prior to that he missed far too many but he has worked extremely hard and his all round game is very good 

It will be interesting to see if he operates for England like he does for Leeds..... Ie go run your arse off for the team.  If he does, he will surprise a few I think and you will see he is nothing like kane.  Depends what GS wants thim and the team to play tbh. 

If the others are all in front of him and we are using stats, a la Harrison.... Bamford scored more than the list above..... I'll bet my boots he covers more ground working for the team from the from the front too. 

England shoulda taken another CF to the euros, be it Bamford, Watkins or whoever.