England men's fixtures omdt.

12 hours ago, Night King said:

Pickford 

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Trippier (will need his defensive nouse)

Henderson

Rice

Sterling

Foden

Saka

Kane

I think that back 5 is exactly what he will go for. Hoping he's had enough of rice and Phillips keeps his place. Big risk playing Henderson but I actually think he has too. Such a lack of quality in that central area against Kroos and Gundogan, I reckon that's where we may lose it.

• Like 1

Pratgate needs to leave Rice out of the line up. He won’t be able to keep up with the intensity of the game. Has to be Henderson & Phillips.

Jordan is our best holding midfielder by some distance. Even if not fully fit he needs to be in there for his experience and know-how 

Grealish and Saka should both start, but they won’t of course. 

I have no idea what attacking options he’s going to utilise - apart from Sterling and Kane who are shoehorns 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Pratgate needs to leave Rice out of the line up. He won’t be able to keep up with the intensity of the game. Has to be Henderson & Phillips.

Jordan is our best holding midfielder by some distance. Even if not fully fit he needs to be in there for his experience and know-how 

Grealish and Saka should both start, but they won’t of course. 

I have no idea what attacking options he’s going to utilise - apart from Sterling and Kane who are shoehorns 

I agree with this

Front 4 of Saka, Grealish, Sterling and Kane

Henderson in for Rice

Don't really think Foden has done enough to cement a starting place in the team and the much more dynamic play from Saka and Grealish gives us more options

We need to move the ball quicker and have the players that give us options to carry it past or at east commit opponents

We were very static against Scotland - and not much better against Croatia

I think the above front 4 gives us many more options

4 minutes ago, scram said:

I agree with this

Front 4 of Saka, Grealish, Sterling and Kane

Henderson in for Rice

Don't really think Foden has done enough to cement a starting place in the team and the much more dynamic play from Saka and Grealish gives us more options

We need to move the ball quicker and have the players that give us options to carry it past or at east commit opponents

We were very static against Scotland - and not much better against Croatia

I think the above front 4 gives us many more options

Yep, specifically we need to move the ball quicker from defence/midfield into attack. No nation dilly-dallys on the ball more than England. Maguires return will be a huge boost as he likes to arrow balls cross field and break the lines with his passes through the middle. But rice & Phillips are passengers in that respect.

The full backs also need an option in the middle to pass to when they get pressed on the flanks, and our current DMs aren’t positionally savvy enough to take up those areas to receive the ball and get the play moving 

14 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Yep, specifically we need to move the ball quicker from defence/midfield into attack. No nation dilly-dallys on the ball more than England. Maguires return will be a huge boost as he likes to arrow balls cross field and break the lines with his passes through the middle. But rice & Phillips are passengers in that respect.

The full backs also need an option in the middle to pass to when they get pressed on the flanks, and our current DMs aren’t positionally savvy enough to take up those areas to receive the ball and get the play moving 

Think he might play a back 3/5 . If Kane starts up top with Sterling and Saka/foden . Henderson comes in the centre and the full backs push on ,this hopefully will be enough to beat the Germans. 

Grealish over Foden for me too every time.

I don't think that Foden is suited to this England side. At Man City, they press high up the pitch, lots of rotation in terms of position and Foden finds space to drift into and play quick one twos with team mates. For England he is stuck on the wing, receives the ball and has no options. Grealish will be more effective in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Think he might play a back 3/5 . If Kane starts up top with Sterling and Saka/foden . Henderson comes in the centre and the full backs push on ,this hopefully will be enough to beat the Germans. 

I get the impression Saka will start. I think Southgate is very fond of him and knows he can be relied upon - Foden too. I think Grealish will suffer unfortunately 

Sterling and Saka have to play, pace seems to be Germany's weakness. If nothing else it might make them sit a little deeper and allow Kane to actually touch the ball from time to time

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Sterling and Saka have to play, pace seems to be Germany's weakness. If nothing else it might make them sit a little deeper and allow Kane to actually touch the ball from time to time

Kane is contributing to his own downfall by the way he plays. Part of me thinks a strong manager would point this out to him 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Kane is contributing to his own downfall by the way he plays. Part of me thinks a strong manager would point this out to him 

Does he play the same for Spurs?

If he does, it obviously works there for what ever reason, but for England it is just not working. I wish he'd just stay on the shoulder of the last man ready for the forward pass to feet or the crosses coming from wide. 

I don't watch much of Spurs so not sure if this is a Southgate tactic getting him to drop so deep or if that's just his natural game. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Does he play the same for Spurs?

If he does, it obviously works there for what ever reason, but for England it is just not working. I wish he'd just stay on the shoulder of the last man ready for the forward pass to feet or the crosses coming from wide. 

I don't watch much of Spurs so not sure if this is a Southgate tactic getting him to drop so deep or if that's just his natural game. 

He does, but I’d argue he plays with better wingers for Spurs who have a better collective understanding - Son, Lamela, Bergwijn

43 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

He does, but I’d argue he plays with better wingers for Spurs who have a better collective understanding - Son, Lamela, Bergwijn

I personally think it's directed by management with Kane for England. Drop deep and try to get the defence to push up so we can hit it in behind for our wingers.

It's worked tbf, look at Foden hitting the post, Sterling hitting the post. Problem is Kane doesn't then seem fit enough to keep up with play. He usually wins headers as well and it just hasn't happened for him yet.

I would have liked us to have changed for the last game to give somebody else a go, but can't do it now. Will be Kane unless he gets injured.

• Like 1

Neville's team v Germany

Pickford

James

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Shaw

Rice

Philips

Sterling

Kane

Saka

Wing backs to match up / Engage Germany’s Saka and Sterling left higher in channels v Germany wide CB Rice / Philips onto Kroos/ Gundagan

Interesting but not for me tbh

Really don't like the look of that defence and i'd rather Mings than Walker as a CB - don't mind Walker as a Rb/RWB but he is not a CB in a 3 imo - not internationally anyway

It looks too much a back 7 as well - James was poor against Scotland and Shaw just doesn't convince

Dunno what Rice has on Southgate and the media but ffs he is such a nondescript player and not at Henderson's level

Phillips was excellent against Croatia but nothing since - Mount is out obviously but even he was struggling

I don't think any of us - including the manager know what our best team is

But i'd go for the back 6/front 4 formation with the licence for one of the 6 to break into making the 4 become  5 - obviously it would be less rigid than that as the game fluctuates and spaces can appear anywhere - but i'm sure you get where i'm going with it

Edited by scram

Saw some people losing their sh*t over Neville's team. 

Looks to me like he's going for something along the lines of what Chelsea do with the 3-4-3 formation. 

If that's the case, then I'd be getting Chilwell in at left wingback. 

Think we could do with Henderson's energy and leadership in the middle of the park. Of the view it is time to make a decision on Philips and Rice, as in you pick one or the other. 

Edited by SiJ

7 minutes ago, Night King said:

If it’s a direct choice between Foden and Grealish its Foden every time. He’s on a different level to Grealish. Grealish very much the flavour of the month, one of those players that becomes a better player by been out of the side. 

I would argue we haven't seen anything from Foden to keep his place, whereas Grealish set up the goal against CR. Think he deserves his place in the starting 11.

• Like 1