England men's fixtures omdt.

5 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Pickford is number 1 in my opinion at the moment.

I have nothing against Pope apart from what I have stated. Dyche has apparently said the coaches are working with Pope on his kicking and playing the ball out. If he gets that right, fine, he would be a good all round keeper.

It's not the time for Pope yet until he has improved a few aspects of his game. As a shot stopper, he is very good.

Now is not the time to have the back 4 wondering what is he going to do next.

Based on how Pope's ability on the ball affects our play I would probably agree with you but it shows our lack of top quality in that position. Pickford wouldn't get a start for many of the top nations we aspire to beat. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Mount is played in part because of his work rate and the fact he can get around the pitch. 

Yeah, he's not a defensive midfielder, but that doesn't mean he can't defend. 

Rice and Philips holding seems overly negative for me, especially against a side like Poland. 

I agree Mount is an all rounder rather than creator. I think you could play Mount and Rice in midfield together and that would work quite well

Guest Mcguigan

All opinions but for me, if a 4-2-3-1 is England's set up, we should have more than enough in 3-1 part of the formation to worry teams and leave the donkey work to Rice and Phillips. Especially when the full backs like to attack as well.

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Pope can’t improve that aspect of his game as Burnley don’t play that way. Are we really going to pick Pickford because he can pass it to stones or maguire better than Pope can? 

It's not just his short passing, his long kicking leaves a lot to be desired, something which Pickford is far better at, a few times Kane and Sterling turned away in disappointment when kicks were aimed in their general direction but didn't pick them out like Pickford is capable of.

It is certainly a risk picking a goalkeeper on distribution rather than the ability to keep the ball out of the net, but if we lose more possession as a result of the keepers poor distribution then we will face more attacks against us. The reality is we don't have anyone with all-round attributes like other nations do. 

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Pope can’t improve that aspect of his game as Burnley don’t play that way. Are we really going to pick Pickford because he can pass it to stones or maguire better than Pope can? 

Dyche was quoted as saying that it is something they are working on with Pope. That wouldn't be a bad thing for him to have it in his locker.

Just now, Mcguigan said:

All opinions but for me, if a 4-2-3-1 is England's set up, we should have more than enough in 3-1 part of the formation to worry teams and leave the donkey work to Rice and Phillips. Especially when the full backs like to attack as well.

If the opposition play a deep 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders then we should be adaptable to change and drop one of the holding midfielders if we need to attack more and do more to break teams down from open play. 

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

Dyche was quoted as saying that it is something they are working on with Pope. That wouldn't be a bad thing for him to have it in his locker.

Not sure it will have enough of an impact though. Its all very well him putting extra time into it in training but when it comes to matches, Burnley aren't going to play that way so his in-game experience of it will remain limited. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not just his short passing, his long kicking leaves a lot to be desired, something which Pickford is far better at, a few times Kane and Sterling turned away in disappointment when kicks were aimed in their general direction but didn't pick them out like Pickford is capable of.

It is certainly a risk picking a goalkeeper on distribution rather than the ability to keep the ball out of the net, but if we lose more possession as a result of the keepers poor distribution then we will face more attacks against us. The reality is we don't have anyone with all-round attributes like other nations do. 

I am skeptical that Pickford is pinging long balls to Kane and Sterling? Is that really happening? When have we scored like that? I’ve seen us concede more playing out from the back due to mistakes from Stones than what I believe we have scored

11 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don’t rate Howe particularly but he would be a massive improvement on Southgate. Someone where he is on merit not because the old boys at the FA like him

On what merit?

He could get a team to set up well defensively for love nor money. 

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If the opposition play a deep 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders then we should be adaptable to change and drop one of the holding midfielders if we need to attack more and do more to break teams down from open play. 

That was we did in the first two fixtures. it was quite noticeable that Phillips pushed further up the pitch, on instruction from GS.

Last night pushing Phillips further up the pitch, obviously worried Southgate a little more. Should he stick or twist. In the end he stuck and we got the goal and won the game.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I am skeptical that Pickford is pinging long balls to Kane and Sterling? Is that really happening? When have we scored like that? I’ve seen us concede more playing out from the back due to mistakes from Stones than what I believe we have scored

You don't think Pickford has good long distribution and is able to start attacks from it? It's not about him getting 70 yard assists for himself, there's more to it than that. 

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

That was we did in the first two fixtures. it was quite noticeable that Phillips pushed further up the pitch, on instruction from GS.

Last night pushing Phillips further up the pitch, obviously worried Southgate a little more. Should he stick or twist. In the end he stuck and we got the goal and won the game.

To me he looked to be tiring and far less effective second half last night, yes we won but who is to say and earlier change might have made it a little less precarious? 

Happy with the points and the progress but room for improvement. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

On what merit?

He could get a team to set up well defensively for love nor money. 

Promotions. He is self made rather than schmoozing at the FA

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You don't think Pickford has good long distribution and is able to start attacks from it? It's not about him getting 70 yard assists for himself, there's more to it than that. 

Can’t we just get an outfield player to do this? I’d just bypass the thing it’s not that important. If you have it - nice. If you don’t have it don’t force it.

3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

From what I’ve seen of Pope this week & Henderson last season, there’s not much between them. I would genuinely have them facing a training session of saving penalties rather than passing it about in our own box! 
We all know that’s coming one day. 
Pickford still the best of the three for me. 

My 3rd keeper slot would be reserved for a penalty saving expert. Whoever is the best at it in the country would be in no matter which division.

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Promotions. He is self made rather than schmoozing at the FA

Can’t we just get an outfield player to do this? I’d just bypass the thing it’s not that important. If you have it - nice. If you don’t have it don’t force it.

Those promotions were a long time ago. When you are weak at the back I don't think Eddie Howe is the right man to turn to. He seemed a good fit for Bournemouth, a club man. He wasn't a roaring success at Burnley. Bournemouth spent plenty of money but only finished in the top half once, Dyche has a better record than that with less resource. 

The thing with the keeper passing is that we do have it with Pickford and that is how we have been developing to play, going back to a keeper who can't distribute changes the approach significantly. Is he much worse at keeping than Pope? I don't think so, we just don't have an all round top class keeper to call upon. 

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

My 3rd keeper slot would be reserved for a penalty saving expert. Whoever is the best at it in the country would be in no matter which division.

Have England got someone like that? 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Those promotions were a long time ago. When you are weak at the back I don't think Eddie Howe is the right man to turn to. He seemed a good fit for Bournemouth, a club man. He wasn't a roaring success at Burnley. Bournemouth spent plenty of money but only finished in the top half once, Dyche has a better record than that with less resource. 

The thing with the keeper passing is that we do have it with Pickford and that is how we have been developing to play, going back to a keeper who can't distribute changes the approach significantly. Is he much worse at keeping than Pope? I don't think so, we just don't have an all round top class keeper to call upon. 

I am not particularly calling for Howe, just feel that Southgate has flukes the England manager job

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Have England got someone like that? 

I believe that Joe Lewis has an excellent penalty saving record and was mooted for the last squad. I’d just invite the ones that have good records and have some sort of competition while the England players practice penalties. You see most PL clubs have a journeyman keeper taking the 3rd spot so don’t think we really need to ensure we have the 3 best keepers as would be a freak for two keepers to get injured in one competition