England men's fixtures omdt.

Over the last 2 games Kane is booked for diving when it was a clear penalty, foul given against Rashford when two Malta players sandwich him in the penalty area, Maguire clumsily fouls nothing given and penalty given against Lewis for fizz all.

What is the purpose of VAR?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

What is the purpose of VAR?

It was brought in to placate no-mark managers who blamed refs for the shiit teams they’d assembled that got dismantled every week, and gobshite pundits who took 20 minutes and 50 replays to arrive at a different opinion to a bloke who got one view in real time

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Just seen the penalty award.  Bloody hell...

VAR should be a panel of 3 retired footballers who independently vote on what’s happened and the majority vote wins. For example with the Lewis penalty tonight you’d get 

Panellist 1 : no penalty

Panellist 2 : no penalty 

Panellist 3 why the f***k are we wasting our time looking at that? Of course it’s no penalty you eediots. 

Panelist 3 is Roy Keane. 

• Haha 1

That offside goal. I called it in real time, with a shitte angle, half watching the game with a cuppa. Why on earth did it take them 3 minutes to make that decision? VAR needs binning, asap. Other than for goal line technology, it’s a complete joke. The whole thing is broken. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Said it beforehand but I think Rice is the player we need 100% fit for the tournament... We're not going to win anything without Kane & Bellingham firing but we have no one as good as Rice in midfield...

I’d actually play Rice at centre half. I can’t see us winning anything with the centre half’s we have. I’ve never been convinced on Pickford either. Phillips if playing regularly could do the Rice job. Clearly not as good but needs must. Maguires criticism had been way over the top but he’s simply not good enough to play at the top level and Southgate sticking with him is bizarre. He would have been far better served deciding to roll with Guehi, Colwill et al and trying to find a solution from those 2. Lewis Dunk is another who I thought was our best player recently when he played. 

England are a very good side. But he’s got to find a place for Foden. Him, Bellingham, Saka and Kane hold the key to all this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Malc said:

It was brought in to placate no-mark managers who blamed refs for the shiit teams they’d assembled that got dismantled every week, and gobshite pundits who took 20 minutes and 50 replays to arrive at a different opinion to a bloke who got one view in real time

I'm not sure what managers thought VAR was going to be?

It's still a few hungover humans in a box miles away using their personal opinion , and interpreting technology sometimes incorrectly. 

Goal line technology is clear cut and does away with opinion and interpretation. That can stay,  VAR has just not worked and made the game a hell of a lot worse. 

I'm not sure what the big deal is with admitting it's a mistake and sacking it off. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vulva said:

I’d actually play Rice at centre half. I can’t see us winning anything with the centre half’s we have. I’ve never been convinced on Pickford either. Phillips if playing regularly could do the Rice job. Clearly not as good but needs must. Maguires criticism had been way over the top but he’s simply not good enough to play at the top level and Southgate sticking with him is bizarre. He would have been far better served deciding to roll with Guehi, Colwill et al and trying to find a solution from those 2. Lewis Dunk is another who I thought was our best player recently when he played. 

England are a very good side. But he’s got to find a place for Foden. Him, Bellingham, Saka and Kane hold the key to all this. 

Rice at centre half isn't such a wild call, teams like Spain and the Netherlands have been employing club defensive midfielders as centre backs for a while now ( Rodri, Mascherano, Blind etc).

I agree we need to find better options at centre back. I always like one proper defender and  one footballer as a partnership.  Dunk and Rice for me!. 

We won’t achieve anything due to his loyalty to past it players.

Maguire might be good for the squad to have around, maybe, but he shouldn’t be starting, liability.

This should be Pickford last involvement but we aren’t blessed with any upcoming keepers.

Rashford has been poor. I don’t think Watkins is the natural backup to Kane.

We had a chance to look at some other players over these two games but went with same old, tired out of form players and wonder why we struggled.

Let’s hope for better in March

10 hours ago, alanharper said:

Just seen the penalty award.  Bloody hell...

The bizarre thing is that the ref initially made the right call. And then with the assistance of VAR made the wrong one.

Personally I thought the previous penalty call was a far stronger one. Maguire clearly pushed their player. 

• Like 3

To summarise:

Ref was beyond silly 

Maguire ‘pen’ looked blatant in real time at our end.

The actual pen, don’t know, looked an over reaction by player

Couldn’t tell JG was offside, happened too quickly.

HK goal must be a record speed for a sub?

Negative Nigel has done his job & so has the team, remaining unbeaten.

P8 W6 D2 L0 GD 18

In advance, looked like a close group, nobody expected us to do the double over Italy. 

Looking forward to the tournament draw on 2nd Dec now & a good summer in Germany. 👀⚽🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alb1owl said:

This team is set up to take 0/10 risks. The opposition only have to stay tight and there’s nothing England will do to create openings. Awful. 

Even if England's patient, possession based, risk averse football makes my eyes bleed,  I think the approach generally works well against weaker teams who will eventually make a mistake or be undone by a moment of individual skill. Except sometimes, like last night, the opposition don't read the script. But I'm not convinced that it's effective against the best international teams, or teams with world class players.

Those 2 penalty decisions last night :laugh:

The first one was peak Maguire. Tries a Hollywood pass, completely mishits it straight at their player, tries to get back to make a block but GETS HIS FEET STUCK IN THE GROUND AND FALLS OVER :laugh:. Falls straight into their player and knocks him flying - Ref/VAR "play on". He's such a big clumsy oaf.

Second one, Lewis is turning around to head the ball and, for balance, happens to have his arm out. Player runs into his little finger and goes down holding his face - VAR "looks like a pen to me chief". Fuck off lads.

I was genuinely baffled that someone who has qualified to be a referee could actually think that was a foul. If you have any slight thought that it might be a foul you should be no where near a football pitch. Utterly contemptible decision. 

We can laugh now at how bad that ref and VAR was because it was a nothing game for us that had no real stakes. It's shambolic that the standard of reffing is so low though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Those 2 penalty decisions last night :laugh:

The first one was peak Maguire. Tries a Hollywood pass, completely mishits it straight at their player, tries to get back to make a block but GETS HIS FEET STUCK IN THE GROUND AND FALLS OVER :laugh:. Falls straight into their player and knocks him flying - Ref/VAR "play on". He's such a big clumsy oaf.

Second one, Lewis is turning around to head the ball and, for balance, happens to have his arm out. Player runs into his little finger and goes down holding his face - VAR "looks like a pen to me chief". Fuck off lads.

I was genuinely baffled that someone who has qualified to be a referee could actually think that was a foul. If you have any slight thought that it might be a foul you should be no where near a football pitch. Utterly contemptible decision. 

We can laugh now at how bad that ref and VAR was because it was a nothing game for us that had no real stakes. It's shambolic that the standard of reffing is so low though. 

Extremely accurate post. 👍

12 hours ago, Big Malc said:

Spot on. The same people slagging it off now were the silly ******** who were screaming for it to be implemented in the first place. 

Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

I'd only keep VAR for offsides and do away with the rest of it. 

It's pants. 

FIFA will cling on to it rather than admitting they are wrong. This all comes from their obsession with tinkering with the game in order to flex their muscles. 

The PL need to grow some testicles and be the first to bin it. 

5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

FIFA will cling on to it rather than admitting they are wrong. This all comes from their obsession with tinkering with the game in order to flex their muscles. 

The PL need to grow some testicles and be the first to bin it. 

It's rubbish. 

Doesn't remove the subjectivity element (which, for some reason,  certain people seemed to think it would) and it just allows officials to make the game even more about themselves. 

19 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Be careful what you wish for. 

It's almost become self-defeating.

VAR officials have become so terrified of getting it wrong that they're obsessing over every detail, every angle.

Maybe the FA should introduce some sort of limitation on the use of VAR. Like each manager is allowed to request a maximum of three referrals to VAR per game. And the VAR officials have to make a ruling within a defined time limit.