England men's fixtures omdt.

4 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

England have now won each of their last 20 home qualifying matches for the European Championship/World Cup - a run stretching back to October 2012.

I have no doubt someone will be able find fault with this. :biggrin:

Yeh it tells you that the argument “we’ve won all our games so far” is irrelevant as qualifying success doesn’t translate to trophies because we are playing teams we are much better than, so it’s not just about winning it’s about how you win

Job done, happy to get the win. 

Our weakness is clearly defence, and whilst I rate Pope he's not top level. Stones showing again that he's got a blunder in him. 

Annoys me defending these days. All for keeping possession, but as soon as he had that heavy touch and saw players incoming he should have gone safety first mode. Can deal with losing a throw in at the half way line, much better than conceding. 

We won't win the Euros, the squad isn't good enough compared to France, Belgium, Germany. Probably comparable with Portugal but not sure we would beat them. Quarter finals is realistic, semi finals onwards I'd be happy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Extremely boring is nearer the mark.

Kane in midfield and Maguire as centre forward?

Pope? Liability.

That was the first goal Pope had conceded in his seven England games and you could not put the blame on him for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

That was the first goal Pope had conceded in his seven England games and you could not put the blame on him for it.

Dodgy keeper.

Can't kick a ball.

Can't play out from the back.

Makes our defenders anxious leading to mistakes.

Out ASAP for me.

• Like 1

Pope is a good keeper but why are they wanting him to be a playmaker? It’s the emperor’s new clothes rubbish with wanting your keeper to play the ball. If you really want to play from the back that badly why doesn’t an outfield player drop back and do it? It’s ok if you’ve got Ederson that is good on the ball and is actually a good keeper but we don’t have that so why force it? We will end up with Pickford in net solely based on him being the best passer as no other facet of his game is better! It’s a goalie ffs for goalkeeping!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh it tells you that the argument “we’ve won all our games so far” is irrelevant as qualifying success doesn’t translate to trophies because we are playing teams we are much better than, so it’s not just about winning it’s about how you win

This.

How often do we come across anyone genuinely good in qualifying? 

We are usually miles ahead in terms of our ranking and quality of player available to us. 

When was the last time England beat a legit, top side in a major tournament who had one of their stronger teams available to them? 

I'm thinking Netherlands in 96? Possibly Argentina in 2002? Though with the latter we were clinging on for dear life.

49 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Job done, happy to get the win. 

Our weakness is clearly defence, and whilst I rate Pope he's not top level. Stones showing again that he's got a blunder in him. 

Annoys me defending these days. All for keeping possession, but as soon as he had that heavy touch and saw players incoming he should have gone safety first mode. Can deal with losing a throw in at the half way line, much better than conceding. 

We won't win the Euros, the squad isn't good enough compared to France, Belgium, Germany. Probably comparable with Portugal but not sure we would beat them. Quarter finals is realistic, semi finals onwards I'd be happy. 

I think the squad is good enough, man for man, it’s just the other nations have more stars than us. If you look at Belgium for example they have loads of players that wouldn’t be anywhere near our squad however we don’t have as many key star players as they do like Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois. We have lots of very good players on a similar level so it makes team selection difficult-why is why we need a much better manager than Southgate. Belgium picks itself.

Very rarely does any top nation get coupled with a similar standard one in qualifying, because of the pot / seeding system.

There’s always one hard qualifying group but we’ve avoided being in it for years.

The set up is biased towards countries like ours, to try & make sure all top nations get to the tournaments.

With very few exceptions all the historically better European nations qualify. 
Repetitive really.

A bit like an international version of the Champions League. 
Top qualifying teams, rubbing rags making the numbers up & the same names in the latter stages. 

We have incredible depth in the attacking midfield/wide forward areas...oh, and loads of right backs.

Keeper abs defence are a worry and I fear Southgate will opt for players who *put a shift in* rather than start a creative spark like a Grealish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Very rarely does any top nation get coupled with a similar standard one in qualifying, because of the pot / seeding system.

There’s always one hard qualifying group but we’ve avoided being in it for years.

The set up is biased towards countries like ours, to try & make sure all top nations get to the tournaments.

With very few exceptions all the historically better European nations qualify. 
Repetitive really.

A bit like an international version of the Champions League. 
Top qualifying teams, rubbing rags making the numbers up & the same names in the latter stages. 

Pretty much.

You want the big nations there for interest, viewers etc.

Just think there's not much point getting too carried away right now.

We know we will qualify and I'd back us to navigate the group stages of a major tournament. Question is whether we can really step up against one of the fellow big to biggish sides when it really matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We have incredible depth in the attacking midfield/wide forward areas...oh, and loads of right backs.

Keeper abs defence are a worry and I fear Southgate will opt for players who *put a shift in* rather than start a creative spark like a Grealish.

Yeah this. 

Attacking ability is not a problem, but compare Pope, TAA, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell with:-

France - Lloris, Pavard, Varane, Kimpembe, Henandez

Belgium - Courtois, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Denayer

Spain - De Gea/Simon, Alba, Garcia, Ramos, Llorente

Italy - Donnarumma, Florenzi, Bonucci, Chiellini, Emerson

Don't think we are better than those 4, Netherlands are probably better defensively as well, unsure about Germany atm. 

Guest Mcguigan
44 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Which are the players picked who *put a shift in* at the expense of a creative spark?

I mean the midfield three last night was Mount, Philips and Rice.

For me, that is, by and large, lacking a creative spark. Two holders and you've got Mount who I'd describe as more industrious than outright creative.

I dont really see the need to have two holders, but Southgate seems to prefer that set up.

6 minutes ago, markg said:

I'd say that Mount is pretty creative and has a lot of quality. 

Personally, I'd take out Philips or Henderson and bring Grealish in. 

Have Rice holding, with Mount offering support as and when needed (has a good work rate), with Grealish offering the real creative spark. 

Heck, if you have Foden playing too, you can have the two of them pretty much interchange between the front three and the middle three. 

14 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Southgate getting stick when we’ve just won three on the bounce and sit top of group.

Talk about your no win situation.

Indeed. 

Some of the analytical criticism is fair enough. I think he should have subbed Phillips off for a more attacking player as soon as we conceded (or even not started with 2 holding midfielders against Poland at home).

But to go from that to saying things like he should be sacked now as some have done is a bit of a jump! 

At the end of the day as you say we have won 3 out of 3, many of the top nations have dropped points they weren't expected to already.