England men's fixtures omdt.

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Here's Boothroyd trying to justify his failures:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12261053/aidy-boothroyd-says-england-u21-job-is-utterly-impossible-and-defends-young-lions-selection-policy

Completely ignoring the fact that every other under 21 national team coach will be in the same position yet many don't have as big a pool of players to pick from as he does. 

No shots on target from open play in 2 games. Cracking stuff.  Plenty of the Under 21 players in his squad train alongside top players with top class coaches at their clubs day in day out, they aren't relying on Boothroyd to nurture their talent. I guess getting knocked out of tournaments early with poor performances is ideal preparation to play for the senior national team though to be fair. 

Just read a similar article on the beeb. 

I don’t think any other major footballing nation has both senior and U21 managers that are as under-qualified and out of their depth as England. As a nation, we’ve been crap at producing decent coaches for a long time now and this is the result. I’d be disappointed if Southgate was Wednesday manager, how he’s got the England job is quite incredible... and Bothroyd is a failed League Two coach, why on Earth is he coaching England U21s?! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I don’t think any other major footballing nation has both senior and U21 managers that are as under-qualified and out of their depth as England. As a nation, we’ve been crap at producing decent coaches for a long time now and this is the result. I’d be disappointed if Southgate was Wednesday manager, how he’s got the England job is quite incredible... and Bothroyd is a failed League Two coach, why on Earth is he coaching England U21s?! 

AB can only do one thing when we bomb out of that group.

Hand his resignation in. 

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I have been somewhat lenient in terms of Southgate as I think he has done a decent job so far. I certainly haven't agreed with all of his decisions but I don't think anyone else would have got much more out of the national team in the time he has been in charge. Yes we had a relatively easy run to the World Cup semi-final but previous managers with good squads have had easy runs in the past and have failed to deliver. 

I guess the jury is still out in that respect but as you say, his CV is far from a list of successes in football management and it is hard to justify how he got the under 21 job on that basis, never mind the senior gig.

As for Boothroyd, it is hard to look past his personal relationship with the guy who was high up in the FA when he got the job in the first place but since that bloke left a few years ago it seems unfathomable how he is still in the position based on results and performances. They point towards the bigger picture and how his role is to support progression to the senior team but surely it would make more sense to appoint someone in the under 21's whose philosophy and way of playing more closely matches that of the first team. Some of Southgate's tactics have been negative but his approach seems a world away from the direct style that Boothroyd found limited success with at club level.   

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I have been somewhat lenient in terms of Southgate as I think he has done a decent job so far. I certainly haven't agreed with all of his decisions but I don't think anyone else would have got much more out of the national team in the time he has been in charge. Yes we had a relatively easy run to the World Cup semi-final but previous managers with good squads have had easy runs in the past and have failed to deliver. 

I guess the jury is still out in that respect but as you say, his CV is far from a list of successes in football management and it is hard to justify how he got the under 21 job on that basis, never mind the senior gig.

As for Boothroyd, it is hard to look past his personal relationship with the guy who was high up in the FA when he got the job in the first place but since that bloke left a few years ago it seems unfathomable how he is still in the position based on results and performances. They point towards the bigger picture and how his role is to support progression to the senior team but surely it would make more sense to appoint someone in the under 21's whose philosophy and way of playing more closely matches that of the first team. Some of Southgate's tactics have been negative but his approach seems a world away from the direct style that Boothroyd found limited success with at club level.   

That’s a great post. 

Must be a right culture shock for the U21s at top PL clubs who are used to working with world class coaches every day... to then going away with the U21s and getting managed by Aidy Boothroyd

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1